Coffeehouse Thread

14 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Why do we let Beer28 continue?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

So, I've been showing up lately and notice one thing.

Is it just me or is every post Beer28 post on anymore an endorsement of his "Company/Corporation/ Mockery of Business"?

I for one am getting tired of it. When I show up and see where he is asking for help to find the tax laws in Canada and talking about selling hardware to other people here that is specialized for Linux or what ever and other such related nonsense this just told me that Charles or Adam have taken a break or walked off and decided to see how much of this rediculous crap we would take.

Someone brought up a good point on another thread. Create an OpenSource website to let the Linux community "thrive" on and get on with it. Or am I just complaining about small stuff now?

Sorry for the rant...it's just bothering me.

• User profile image
    DoomBringer

Cybermagellan wrote:

So, I've been showing up lately and notice one thing.

Is it just me or is every post Beer28 post on anymore an endorsement of his "Company/Corporation/ Mockery of Business"?

I for one am getting tired of it. When I show up and see where he is asking for help to find the tax laws in Canada and talking about selling hardware to other people here that is specialized for Linux or what ever and other such related nonsense this just told me that Charles or Adam have taken a break or walked off and decided to see how much of this rediculous crap we would take.

Someone brought up a good point on another thread. Create an OpenSource website to let the Linux community "thrive" on and get on with it. Or am I just complaining about small stuff now?

Sorry for the rant...it's just bothering me.

Why do we let him do it?  Because it'd be censorship to not let him.  Sure, his opinions are sometimes weird, but big deal.  I rarely agree with his opinions, but no matter.
    And as for his corporation stuff, well, so long as he doesn't advertise his company too aggressively, I don't care.  He's just asking for help, so I don't care.  Channel9 is a nice place to be, so we try to help even if its really not tech related.  Sure, he could do it himself, but I think he gets a certain amount of pride out of running his business, and would like to share with us what he's doing.

or something.  Its easy enough to not read his posts...

• User profile image
    steel300

Beer28 wrote:
    I also wanna say it's not my company, it's publicly owned.

Since it's publicly owned, as an owner I vote we shut it down. Be careful, beer, with how you word things of this importance.

• User profile image
    maxharris

I wish Beer28 would go away for good.

Censorship is wrong only when it violates someone else's rights (examples: when the government forcibly silences someone saying something non-murderous with their own money, or when someone executes a DoS attack on a website they don't own). Beer28 has no moral right to trash Microsoft on their dollar.

• User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

All I have to say about it is that frankly I don't think anyone really cares about "your company" Beer. In fact I often regret saying anything on a post where you mention your business because after the fiasco with site spaces I have no faith in ANYTHING that you do or say.

Johnathan has had to delete post of yours for promoting your company on other threads. I wish you the best of luck with anything that you do really....I just don't want anything to do with you (even knowing you exist) and don't understand why some people here do?

• User profile image
    irascian

Admittedly the phrase "Pretentious? Moi?" is the one that most often comes to mind reading yet another one of Beer's posts about his company these days, but it's a free world and others have posted in the past that they have no problems with his posts so I just put it down to being part and parcel of the diversity of these forums that bring benefits as well as disadvantages.

His credibility is pretty much shot to pieces by his constant "I'm leaving" posts, invariably followed by his return a few days later, usually on the pretext of needing the answer to a question.

So personally it doesn't really bother me that much - I just ignore most of the posts and would suggest you do the same. We'd be a pretty intolerant lot if we started censoring someone just because of their rather juvenile posts and at least he's not abusive. I've seen other posts that resort to very personal attacks, or are racist, sexist or homophobic that annoy me FAR more.

• User profile image
    Yggdrasil

1) An internet forum is a social construct, not a democratic country. As such, cries of "censorship" and "right to free speech" aren't really relevant - a social group CAN and SHOULD expel harmful elements from it. Moderators are not there to be nice and impartial, their job is to make the community better by removing disruptive influences. I've seen more than one online community deteriorate and disintegrate because moderators wouldn't take action, and it's a crying shame when it happens. True, you always come out as the bad guy to some people, but that's the flak you take for getting people to stay inside the lines of acceptable behavior.

2) Regarding the matter at hand, I personally feel - and others including moderators may disagree, of course - that beer hasn't been completely out of line. Yes, I he seems bent on avoiding any single on-topic discussion on these boards, but I feel that considering his history and, frankly, his value as a community builder (since communities need icons, both positive and negative, both solemn and bash-worthy), he isn't harming the community and not making too big a nuisance of himself. Smiley

• User profile image
    Tonatiúh

Yggdrasil wrote:
    [...] Moderators are not there to be nice and impartial, their job is to make the community better by removing disruptive influences. [...]

...Or bether yet: To ease for those missleaded element, the understanding and free adoption of the "code of conduct" which rules that community to which she/he is eager to be part... Lonely people needs a lot of help for to be able to "touch another's soul"... Perhaps at a greater extent in a virtual community like this very one, where one may or may not choose to hide one self personality.

Tonatiúh

• User profile image
    Travis H

Maybe I'm just forgetful, or just out-right dumb... but what is so wrong with Beer28?  Am I missing something of great importance, serving as a backbone to this topic?

I've only seen a few of his posts, and they were about linux... but what's so wrong with that?  Do we not have open minds?

But really, I cannot form an accurate opinion of Beer28 since I do not know what you all are talking about.

Please inform me.

• User profile image
    MisterDonut

Free-speech, is my opinion.. Challenging the norm is the only way to grow.

That being said, I'd love for C9 to have an "ignore user" setting, for those of us who don't want to hear people.

Might just make people use Sock puppets, though.

• User profile image
    Tom Servo

Just gimme an ignore function, so that I can ignore his crap finally.

• User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

In response to Travis H.'s request-- I'll let a quote from one thread explain:

Beer28 wrote:
    Why are you using windows?

It works perfectly on linux.
    BTW, The company now has brand new 64 bit peripheral loaded to the core desktops and some refurb laptops to sell preloaded with linux. I can't wait to sell hardware

CannotResolveSymbol wrote:
    I run linux on an older desktop of mine... but I have yet to get Linux loaded on my laptop.  I want to put it on an external hard drive, b/c a computer company that shall not be named put the recovery partition at the end of the drive and didn't ship discs for any of the software that I paid for.

If you can direct me to some good deals on USB 2.0 or firewire hard drives, I will install linux in an instant.  Until I get one, I am stuck with Windows.

Beer28 wrote:
    We're selling laptops and PC's now. Normally you'd just go to best buy or something, but if you want, next week, we'll have brand new AMD-64 bit desktops preloaded with Redhat Fedora w/160 gig hd's and 512 Meg ddr, + video ect... on our site on a new subdomain.

If you want to go for a performance linux system. If not, I still recommend you go to best buy and just buy a drive.

Thread:  http://channel9.msdn.com/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=127946

• User profile image
    SlackmasterK

This debate has ensued for so long it's removing focus from the entire point of the forum. Everyone has good points here...

Beer28:  You have every right to voice opinions, etc etc etc until your face turns blue. Fortunately, people have a right to ignore you.  As far as promoting your company, I hadn't really noticed it until now (sans the link in your profile); just keep in mind C9 is part of MSDN is part of MSFT, and it's technically private property.  Moderators and admins reserve all rights etc etc etc.

I guess what I'm trying to say here is, let's all agree to disagree and remember all publicity is good publicity.  Let's please move on with our lives.

• User profile image
    DoomBringer

Beer28 wrote:

BTW, the customers of that company aren't the type to frequent a microsoft message board. If I were to say half this stuff on LAMP or linux forums, or talk freely as I do, it could be iffy.

Wait, so you're saying that Linux geeks are insane zealots?  Who knew!

As long as Beer doesn't go around constantly tooting his own horn, I don't care.  I'd rather see Beer tone down some of the crazy rhetoric, but meh.  It takes all kinds.

I'd be interested in seeing a company that deals with integrating Linux and Windows in a workspace.  Not just cygwin on Windows, but cross platform applications (Mono is getting close enough), or just specializing in raw cross platform C++.  In my professional experience, there are indeed lots of "Microsoft shops" or solid Linux places, but making them work together would be great.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.