Coffeehouse Thread

10 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Video of "Cider": The Visual Studio Designer for WPF

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Deactivated User

Comment removed at user's request.

• User profile image
    scobleizer

Heh, we'll have a video on Cider here next week. In fact, here's a sneak peek (this is the download): http://download.microsoft.com/download/f/2/7/f2722c3f-963d-401a-a6f7-c026d7f1b08c/cider_2005.wmv

• User profile image
    Deactivated User

Comment removed at user's request.

• User profile image
    Jaz

pointless post but when i first saw this post i thought of our very own cider who posts here on these forums.

• User profile image
    rhm

Shmuelpro wrote:
    Introducing "Cider": The Visual Studio Designer for WPF ("Avalon") Really cool video Here on MSDNTV

UGh, why the hell do MSDNTV release stuff in self-extracting archive files? Lets all waste my time downloading it to my desktop (or other temp location) then extract it and *then* play it when I could have just clicked on a link to stream it. Can we dispatch Scoble or Charles to hit them with a clue stick please?

• User profile image
    dahat

Great video Robert!... except for that whole cutting off at the end.

As impressive as Sparkle was, I was a bit concerned that developers would have to use a separate tool (and probably buy it) in order to more easily build a WPF front end (without using notepad)... nice to see that there is something in the words for the developers.

I am a bit concerned though... Videos like this make Orcas sound more and more like Visual Studio 2003 and VS05 like VS02. Early in the video I was beginning to get the impression that despite how great of a tool VS05 is going to be, it will be replaced in a year with Orcas... requiring a rather expensive upgrade in order to use the latest and greatest which is separated from the previous version by only a few key new features... and the later talk about when Cider might be available seemed to support that.

Sounds like it is time to start to think about getting an MSDN subscription...

• User profile image
    Larsenal

The paralell workflow that was mentioned sounds very appealing.  However, I too wonder if WPF is going to be ready for primetime with Whidbey.  I suspect that without a visual designer in the IDE, the masses will be not all abandon WinForms.

• User profile image
    JKelley

I've been prototyping for a few weeks using VS 2005 Beta 2 and WPF on the Vista 5219 build.  The only extra tool I've really used is Zam3D to do some quick models for my app.  I have to say, although I'd probably get tired of it after too long, I'm actually getting pretty good with just typing XAML by hand and writing a little bit of C# code.  I've had a lot of frustrations with it but the payoff is very nice when it finally comes together.  I do wish I had the designer for it now so I could do some more mock-ups quickly for a presentation next week, but that'll have to wait.  WPF is a HUGE step forward over Winforms for a lot of things.

-Jeremy

• User profile image
    Cider

An effing-what-now?!

I'LL SUE!!!!!

• User profile image
    eriawan2005

Shmuelpro wrote:
    Introducing "Cider": The Visual Studio Designer for WPF ("Avalon") Really cool video Here on MSDNTV

Cool! Cool Thanks guys! What about the source code used on the video? Where is it?

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.