Coffeehouse Thread

78 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Girl Geeks are fab!

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Sabot

Do you know I went to a Girl geek dinner recently and I was stunned!

The Girls were Intelligent, Confident, Articulate knew their bit of technology inside out and back to front and most were drop dead gorgeous by any mans standards. To say I was impressed was an understatement.

For the most part the total opposite of us Guy Geeks! (hideous generalisation, but hey we know it's true!)

So, why don't we cut the Girls some slack and give them the respect they deserve by getting rid of glass ceiling in our industry and seeing more female managers.

• User profile image
    Devils​Rejection

where was said dinner lol

i need onvites dammit, i didn't get the memo Sad

• User profile image
    Sabot
  • User profile image
    irascian

Sabot wrote:

The Girls were Intelligent, Confident, Articulate knew their bit of technology inside out and back to front and most were drop dead gorgeous by any mans standards. To say I was impressed was an understatement.

So, why don't we cut the Girls some slack and give them the respect they deserve

Well maybe we could start cutting them some slack by avoiding comments like "drop dead gorgeous by any mans standards"? Tongue Out

P.S. See ya tomorrow (who's bringing the tomatoes for Blowdart's talk? Was it meant to be me or you? Wink)

• User profile image
    Sabot

irascian wrote:

Well maybe we could start cutting them some slack by avoiding comments like "drop dead gorgeous by any mans standards"?

Yes Ian, you've got me on that one!

Ho hum ... old habits do die hard.

You up for a quick beer tomorrow after DDD2?

• User profile image
    Minh

Sabot wrote:

The Girls were Intelligent, Confident, Articulate...
    What were your preconceptions prior the the event, Sabot? Smiley

• User profile image
    irascian

Sabot wrote:
    irascian wrote:
    Well maybe we could start cutting them some slack by avoiding comments like "drop dead gorgeous by any mans standards"?

Yes Ian, you've got me on that one!

Ho hum ... old habits do die hard.

You up for a quick beer tomorrow after DDD2?

I'm coming on to the geek dinner at 8pm but am meeting up with an old colleague from my Ford contract days (now working for Microsoft and living in Reading) for a beer between the end of the Developer day and the start of the geek dinner. I tried to persuade him to come to the geek dinner but he feels it's wrong to attend the geek dinner when he hasn't attended the Dev day. However we might end up at the same drinking hole if it's not too busy (you going to "Revolution"?) and parking is do-able.

• User profile image
    Sabot

irascian wrote:

... However we might end up at the same drinking hole if it's not too busy (you going to "Revolution"?) and parking is do-able.

Yep, I'm going to Revolution b4 the Geek dinner ...

Now here's the trick ... I'll buy you a pint if you come up to me in Revolution and say "I'm a C9'er, hail Scoble!" ... if you don't know what I look like my picture is on my blog Wink

• User profile image
    rjdohnert

They better eat up all the compliments and looks that they can.  Because when they are 60 - 70 there is not a man that will be looking, and they will not be considered drop dead gorgeous.

irascian wrote:

• User profile image
    Detroit Muscle

Sabot wrote:
    Girl Geeks are fab!

Pics?

• User profile image
    Manip

I love girl-geeks but they are a rare commodity... Unfortunately many don't like geek guys, they would prefer a more traditional "bad boy" or "sporty guy".

I don't think there is a glass ceiling, nothing is stopping women from doing well in technology, in fact many do VERY well in technology. The reason why there aren't many girls in technology (in Europe + USA) is because not many girls WANT to go into technology.

For example, I am doing a technology type degree, so am in lectures with people doing - Business Technology, Computing, Computer Science et al. And the number of female students in total I could easily count on both hands -- plus, out of those few at least three of which are Asian foreign students that might go back home to work when they finish their degrees.

Does that mean my university isn't accepting female applicants? I doubt that. More likely that is the number that *applied* to do these courses.

Now, if you walk into a psychology lecture in any university in the UK then I would imagine between 70-90% being female students. Because we REALLY need that many new psychologists in the next few years, right?

• User profile image
    lethalbyte

I've had the honour of working with many female developers who were absolutely amazing at their jobs.

• User profile image
    Charles

Some of the very best engineers/leaders/thinkers at Microsoft are women.

Gender, in and of itself, is not a property of Success in this industry and certainly has nothing to do with engineering capability, geeky passion, crazy smarts, super dedication, leadership. Read the first line of this post again.

Unfortunately, we're not seeing enough women enter the tech world. Why do you think this is the case?

C

• User profile image
    lethalbyte

Charles, I think the reason for that is in my experience women just aren't interested in software.  I don't think there's any glass barriers to prevent entry, it's just not what they want to be doing.  I think it's one of those fringe jobs that mainly occupied by males, whereas something like care work is mainly (not exclusively of course) dominated by females.  I think it's just how it goes.

• User profile image
    Manip

If you go to for example India there are plenty of female technologists, why?  My guess is in India technology isn't seen as such a male industry.  But for real answers as to why girls/women don't go into technology you would have to ask a few of them.

I don't think there is a question about skills/ability. In fact if you look at how few females work in the technology industry and how many are in more senior positions it is almost more than you would expect given the numbers alone....

• User profile image
    Charles

Manip wrote:

But for real answers as to why girls/women don't go into technology you would have to ask a few of them.

Funny you should mention that... Stay tuned Smiley

Keep on posting,
    C

• User profile image
    Charles

Beer28 wrote:
    I'm disappointed by the number of women linux users. There are some out there, but I haven't seen a whole lot of them.

There are some on various forums, especially in Europe like on Mandriva's but they are really in the low 2% of linux users from what I've seen.

It would be neat to come out with new female oriented linux tools to help women use linux more easily. Something like

wbash  ..... "for her"

Where it would be somehow easier to use for females.

You make the assumption that being a female implies the need for ease of use. Be careful. That's a bad assumption. It would be interesting to see how many Linux geeks are women. Not sure how to calculate the number. Maybe we need to go to Linux World and find out.

C

• User profile image
    rjdohnert

Charles wrote:

Unfortunately, we're not seeing enough women enter the tech world. Why do you think this is the case?

C

Great many of the problems revolve around tech being a male dominated industry.  Women do not get treated the same,  do not make the same money.  I have met some very smart women who are very accomplished developers, webmasters and system admins.  I personally dont discriminate in my hiring.  I personally want someone who can do the job regardless if they are a man, woman, black, white or Iraqi or whatever.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.