Coffeehouse Thread

15 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

For all those waiting for VS2005...

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    selfdestrc

I don't want to be a naysayer or sceptic, but after using the Release Candidate, unfortunately I am. I thought that something billed as RC would be released with the expectation that the majority of testers/partners etc would just sign off on it unless there are showstopping bugs. But in the VS2005 RC, there are far too many bugs to even qualify as an RC. It's more like beta 2.5. I'm working on a large VC++ project and the VS2005 IDE crashes every 10-15 minutes. Simple things like pressing Ctrl+F4  3 or 4 times to close documents that are open will cause the IDE to crash. Switch from Class view to Resources view and it will crash. Lots of other such behavior. Devenv.exe is broken, so building from the command line is impossible (yep, even in the RC build) Sad

I can't wait for VS2005 to be released, and I am a huge fan of all MS products, but it just looks like they have a LOT of work left to do on VS 2005. Maybe that's why there's still no official word on when/if the RTM will be released. I want to be proven wrong on this one, and pray that they got everything wrapped up on time. But to the guys who're checking their MSDN Subscriptions daily or several times a day hoping the RTM's up, don't hold your breath. It would suck if the Nov 7 deadline is missed, but judging from the quality of the RC, it's a real possibility.

• User profile image
    mawcc

The Launch Party (according to Scoble) is today, so I don't expect any further delays.
    As for the quality of the RC: I've not done any unmanaged development, but I'm working on a C# Windows Forms as well as a C# ASP.NET application using the RC version, and so far I've only noticed one minor bug (no crash). And this was promised to be solved according to the Product Feedback Center. Of course I've only used a fraction of the functionality, so this might not be representative.
    The only thing I'm a little bit sceptical about is performance. I'm only doing small 1-2 person projects, but some things (like Refactor/Extract Property or having a couple of tables in the DataSet Designer) hint at poor performance with larger projects.

• User profile image
    irascian

Yeah I'm worried too - particularly given the frequently differing accounts of what "failed the regression test" to cause the delay to the originally proposed MSDN on 14th October date.

That being said my perception of quality isn't as low as yours - one of my clients is on the Ascend programme and has done a couple of projects with it and they're all hating going back to VS2003.

And, frankly, there is no way the November 7th date will get missed - too much egg on face and bad press if that were to happen (just imagine the Mini Microsoft rants alone on the subject). That date is fixed and was fixed a long time ago.

• User profile image
    lethalbyte

I've been using VS2005 since the first public beta, and to be fair, I'm incredibly happy with it.  I'm not really pushing it hard, I guess you unmanaged C++ developers do a lot more pushing the boundary work than I do.  Anyway, my experience with the IDE is it's very very stable, and an absolute pleasure to work with.

But if the IDE crashed every 10 or 15 mins for my, my cage would be very rattled too!

I guess wait and see if the RTM has fixed any of these things.

• User profile image
    trolane

other then some slow performance which hopefully was just debig code or something still active the sept ctp is good. There were some bugs with interaction with sql server 2000 though.

• User profile image
    Manip

Why make a new jabber client when you have GAIM on all those platforms?

• User profile image
    Compiled​Monkey

I too have gotten a little nervous about the pending release.  I check MSDN many times a day waiting for the good news.  It's been so long with so many new features promised, I just can't wait.

• User profile image
    Karim

Manip wrote:
    Why make a new jabber client when you have GAIM on all those platforms?

I had the same question when Google released Google Talk.

Apparently the world suffers from a shortage of IM clients Expressionless

• User profile image
    footballism

Karim wrote:
    Manip wrote:Why make a new jabber client when you have GAIM on all those platforms?

I had the same question when Google released Google Talk.

Apparently the world suffers from a shortage of IM clients

Haha:p

Sheva

• User profile image
    androidi

With the little C++ I've done with VS2005, I can say that the IDE gets into "broken state" for some functionality very easily if the code you're debugging does things it shouldn't and you're debugging it(ouch!). Restarting VS usually helps. Reproducing your own mistakes to cause the IDE to bug is quite difficult since you can't exactly backstep everything you've done during debugging etc.

This was with Beta 2, perhaps it is better now, most likely, not.

What do I have to say? C#. Smiley

• User profile image
    Maurits

selfdestrc wrote:
    It would suck if the Nov 7 deadline is missed

Why?  What happens if the deadline is missed?

• User profile image
    selfdestrc

Maurits wrote:
    selfdestrc wrote: It would suck if the Nov 7 deadline is missed

Why?  What happens if the deadline is missed?

My software company, like many others, has finished porting our main products to VS2005 (Beta 2 and RC). We're waiting to launch the new versions. Obviously, we can't ship products built with beta compilers to our customers. So we just have to recompile our apps when the final version of .NET v2 is available.

If VS2005 is delayed, the delay will trickle down into a lot of software shops that are planning new releases as soon as they can get the RTM.

• User profile image
    Tensor

I would not imagine the nov 7 deadline for release will be missed - too much organising has gong in to it.

I use the RC, and mostly I am happy with it. It does a few odd things every now and again (I had to scrap one project and port the code to another because it didnt like some of the images in the project resources to the point where I couldnt even try to remove them without it dying on me), but mainly its good.

Oh one thing - the VB.NET language "innovation" of not having to explicitly create form instances. Oh dear. So I get the point - make it easy for people to swap from VB6.0... but what about people who havent swapped? One of our juniors got in an awful mess with that allready, thinking he was passing types...

• User profile image
    selfdestrc

Scoble can you chime in dude? Was there such a launch party on Friday night like someone mentioned?

• User profile image
    irascian

Asking around today at the DDD2 event it was all sounding a bit grim. Most of those who actually appeared to know something about the fact that it was a SQL Server regression test failure that had caused the delay seemed to think the date of next Wednesday on MSDN (which I'd heard from three different sources in the middle of last week was based on Thursday's regression tests completing OK) was now too optimistic.

I'm kind of resigned to waiting until November 7th now.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.