Coffeehouse Thread

18 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

How To Learn Another Foreign Language

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    footballism

After kicking off my previous thread titled " Learning Another Foreign Language", and based on those splendid suggestions you guys give me in that thread, I decide to learn French, but my problem is that I am lacking several indispensable French language materials such as dictionaries, tutorials, reading and listening materials etc, and even worse, I don't know how to start learning this language. can you guys give me some sensible suggestions on how to learn French? and from a foreigner's perspective, what kind of things I have to pay attention to when learning another foreign language.

Sheva

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

Get a teacher. There's no substitute for human interaction. The teacher will also know what books and other materials would be best to get.

Also, my condolances. There is nothing on this world I hated more than learning French. Although it was more because of the teacher than the language. So to add to the advice: get a good teacher. Smiley

• User profile image
    Karim

Sven Groot wrote:
    Although it was more because of the teacher than the language. So to add to the advice: get a good teacher.

Preferably a female French one.  LOL

America has "Uncle Sam."  The French version of "Uncle Sam" is a woman named "Marianne" who always seems to be falling out of her dress for some reason:

Marianne is supposed to represent "wisdom."  Or something.  Anyway, once you figure it out, you'll be well on your way towards understanding the French.

As for understanding the French language, there are lots of resources online.  I like these two:

http://www.laits.utexas.edu/fi/

http://www.laits.utexas.edu/tex/

• User profile image
    TommyCarlier

Sven, I understand you Dutch people don't like talking French. It's really funny to hear French with a Dutch accent Wink

• User profile image
    TommyCarlier

Footballism, the best method to learn a foreign language is to get a girlfriend that ONLY talks that language. Find yourself a French girlfriend, and you'll be talking French in no time.

• User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

I learned Russian using the Bertliz language tapes from the local library and going to sleep listening with it...then the next day I would read a chapter of the book that came with it...that really helped out with those TaTu girls....

• User profile image
    dotnetjunkie

TommyCarlier wrote:
    Sven, I understand you Dutch people don't like talking French. It's really funny to hear French with a Dutch accent Wink

Most Flemish people don't like it either.
    Have you ever listened to a French talkshow?  It's pure torture, they have a horrible attitude (constantly interrupting other people while they're talking, and rattling like a snake Big Smile)

• User profile image
    TommyCarlier

Yeah, and in Belgium, Flemish people (like me) talk French pretty fluently, but the Wallons don't talk Dutch, and don't want to talk Dutch, although both Dutch and French are Belgium's official languages.

• User profile image
    dotnetjunkie

So true Smiley

And a typical Belgian solution for this otherwise unfair situation is Flemish and Wallon people talking English with each other Smiley

• User profile image
    TommyCarlier

Yes, that would be a solution. If the Wallons would only try talking English.

• User profile image
    footballism

Sven Groot wrote:

So to add to the advice: get a good teacher.

Lo, I'm sort of self taught guy, so it's really impossible or even unwilling for me to find a teacher not to mention a good teacher:(

Sheva

• User profile image
    footballism

TommyCarlier wrote:

Footballism, the best method to learn a foreign language is to get a girlfriend that ONLY talks that language. Find yourself a French girlfriend, and you'll be talking French in no time.

A French girlfriend? oh, no, it's implausible:P

Sheva

• User profile image
    footballism

Does any one know where I can find a French-to-English & English-to-French dictionary software which has voice capability as well as Phonetic annotations?

Sheva

• User profile image
    leighsword

learning the new stuff based on the previous exist one, English.

• User profile image
    nineguycrazy

I think Sven Groot is right get a teacher or summin like that:D Trust me, Im learnin french and id never thought i'd say this, TEACHERS ARE MIRICALS

• User profile image
    Steve411

nineguycrazy wrote:
    I think Sven Groot is right get a teacher or summin like that Trust me, Im learnin french and id never thought i'd say this, TEACHERS ARE MIRICALS

Ironic, isn't it? Tongue Out

- Steve

• User profile image
    Wil

footballism wrote:
    Does any one know where I can find a French-to-English & English-to-French dictionary software which has voice capability as well as Phonetic annotations?

Sheva

Is this what you mean?

• User profile image
    iStation

If you are a engineer, I recommend to read J.Fourier's "Theory of Heat" in French
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Fourier

If you are a money lover, how about stock market in French
    http://www.zonebourse.com/zbatgratuit.php?sico=7206&page=&mode=&news=&PHPSESSID=

Or if you're a geek, how about this one?!
    Talking Translator
    http://www.abhisoft.net/ Cool

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.