Coffeehouse Thread

30 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Heh, at DDD2 someone put w3bbo's mobile number on the message board

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    blowdart

with a plea for channel 9ers to contact him. And "Crank calls welcome" underneath Big Smile

• User profile image
    Manip

What is DDD2? Why would we prank call W3bbo? Why do you care?

• User profile image
    blowdart

Manip wrote:
    What is DDD2? Why would we prank call W3bbo? Why do you care?

DDD2. And I found it funny. He was easily picked out of a crowd too Big Smile

• User profile image
    PerfectPhase

It was a good day, the talks I went to where very good.  It was nice to put a face to some of the names here as well Smiley

Can't belive I had to miss the geek dinner afterwards though Sad

Stephen.

• User profile image
    blowdart

PerfectPhase wrote:
    It was a good day, the talks I went to where very good.  It was nice to put a face to some of the names here as well

Hmm did you go to mine? I think I saw two channel9 people, and I had to pick w3bbo out. And I can't remember who the other was, which is embarassing, but then I'm awful with names.

• User profile image
    Tensor

A mate of mine went. I told him to introduce himself - kind of me sending an ambasador. Unfortunatley being the guy he is he probably used the oportunity to destroy what little credibility I may have.

• User profile image
    PerfectPhase

blowdart wrote:
    PerfectPhase wrote: It was a good day, the talks I went to where very good.  It was nice to put a face to some of the names here as well

Hmm did you go to mine? I think I saw two channel9 people, and I had to pick w3bbo out. And I can't remember who the other was, which is embarassing, but then I'm awful with names.

MSBuild talk right?   Yep, I was in there, up the back on the right.  Think I counted at least 5 other niners in there Smiley  Intreasting talk, we're looking at starting doing daily builds for a new project so just up me street at the moment!

• User profile image
    blowdart

PerfectPhase wrote:

MSBuild talk right?   Yep, I was in there, up the back on the right.  Think I counted at least 5 other niners in there   Intreasting talk, we're looking at starting doing daily builds for a new project so just up me street at the moment!

5? I didn't know there were that many there. And yes.

Comments? I got rather carried away as usual!

• User profile image
    W3bbo

blowdart wrote:
    with a plea for channel 9ers to contact him. And "Crank calls welcome" underneath

Thom wrote that, not me Wink

• User profile image
    irascian

blowdart wrote:

Hmm did you go to mine? I think I saw two channel9 people, and I had to pick w3bbo out.

I was one of them - I came up at the end of your talk just to say "Hi".

It was a good day. I got less lucky with my talks this time around. One of them was a real waste of time (and I wasn't the only one who thought so - I overheard two strangers describing it as "utter crap") and another was a rather content-free "marketing" set of bullet points read out loud, but there were enough good sessions (including Blowdart's excellent MSBUILD talk) to have made it well worthwhile.

I had to duck out of the geek dinner when a couple of friends (who hadn't been at the Developer! day but were Microsoft employees) and I  left the pre-dinner bar a bit later than everyone else and realised we wouldn't be able to sit together, so we went on somewhere else.

But I enjoyed talking to everyone and making some new friends in the between-session gaps and at the bar afterwards. Sorry I didn't get a chance to really talk to Webbo, but glad to meet Mike from here for the first time and also to chat to Ben Mitchell who's one of the guys who works behind the scenes on these events, and also MSDN's Mike Taulty who does a great job with his MSDN flashes and support for the developer community.

Big shout out to Sarah too for organising the drinks get-together and geek dinner after the event. She organised us all with name badges and coped really well with all the last minute changes and additions.

So, all in all, another success. A sincere thanks to all those who worked so hard to pull it off. It was fun!

• User profile image
    irascian

blowdart wrote:

Keep getting carried away. It was all good. Laugh out loud funny in places, good useful solid information, and you looked as if you were enjoying yourself which always helps make a presentation more enjoyable (you are now of course going to tell me you hated every minute of it!)

• User profile image
    blowdart

irascian wrote:
    blowdart wrote:

Keep getting carried away. It was all good. Laugh out loud funny in places, good useful solid information, and you looked as if you were enjoying yourself which always helps make a presentation more enjoyable (you are now of course going to tell me you hated every minute of it!)

Aha, cool Smiley I assume they did score sheets again, which are always helpful, but you never get feedback like that.

And apologies for forgetting your name Smiley

• User profile image
    irascian

blowdart wrote:

Aha, cool I assume they did score sheets again, which are always helpful, but you never get feedback like that.

This year the feedback all has to be done online, which I suspect means that they'll get much less feedback this time than when people have to fill in paper feedback at the time.

If you went please go and give HONEST feedback at http://www.developerday.co.uk/ddd/feedback2.asp It's not much to ask in return for what we got for free.

Ben had indicated that several people were first time speakers and that they were soliciting feedback online that would help first-time speakers but the only real feedback section is labelled  "How could we improve the session?" so if you went and have advice for speaker I'd use that section.

• User profile image
    blowdart

irascian wrote:
    blowdart wrote:
    Aha, cool I assume they did score sheets again, which are always helpful, but you never get feedback like that.

This year the feedback all has to be done online, which I suspect means that they'll get much less feedback this time than when people have to fill in paper feedback at the time.

Yea, you need to bribe people with a goodie bag on the day to get a decent amount of feedback.

Ah well!

• User profile image
    Sabot

Well the funny things was that I had a few beers on an empty stomach and then I did the podcast of the Geek Dinner. It was getting on abit and everyone had had a few beers by then so it's going to be really interesting listening to that one. I'm soooooo going to cringe!

W3bbo was shorter than I imagine and his friend was a Linux guy so I imagine that he was having difficulty not seeing a console. GUI's how over-rated! :O

It was really nice catch up with all the usual suspects and meeting a few more.

I didn't catch the MSBuild talk I was talking with Craig Murphy when Blowdart was making a swift exit. I was going to say "Hi, Blowdart ... I'm Sabot" but that always kind of sounds weird in public it's almost like C9 needs a funny handshake?

• User profile image
    blowdart

Sabot wrote:

I didn't catch the MSBuild talk I was talking with Craig Murphy when Blowdart was making a swift exit. I was going to say "Hi, Blowdart ... I'm Sabot" but that always kind of sounds weird in public it's almost like C9 needs a funny handshake?

Weren't you threatening a while back to wander around with a video camera?

• User profile image
    Sabot

blowdart wrote:
    Sabot wrote:

Weren't you threatening a while back to wander around with a video camera?

Wasn't allowed to when I inquired. Copyright and all that.

• User profile image
    blowdart

Sabot wrote:

Wasn't allowed to when I inquired. Copyright and all that.

Ah pooh, that would have been funny

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.