Coffeehouse Thread

17 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Do you believe in Gene? (Did this guy really stop aging?)

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Podme

Okay, so it can't be real. But somehow it made me think just maybe it's possible... 

From the intro at AgelessGene.com)

One night, checking the logs of my chat bot, I came across four most unusual and fascinating conversations. They were from a man who seemed desperate to share a closely guarded secret, and after a particularly painful day and a few glasses of wine, chose to confide in my chat bot.

I guess some people have too much time on their hands...

Pod Me, Baby.

• User profile image
    borosen

I just spent some of mine limited time on reading these logs.

They are quite entertaining, a good starter for a one person play.

This is one of the few time it was really enjoyable(?) to read a log.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Podme wrote:
    Okay, so it can't be real. But somehow it made me think just maybe it's possible... 

From the intro at AgelessGene.com)

One night, checking the logs of my chat bot, I came across four most unusual and fascinating conversations. They were from a man who seemed desperate to share a closely guarded secret, and after a particularly painful day and a few glasses of wine, chose to confide in my chat bot.

I guess some people have too much time on their hands...

Pod Me, Baby.

If "Gene" really exists, then surely the person who operates the chat-bot would be able to get his IP address (most decent IRC loggers save the IP addresses of /query and /msg convos anyway)

Its then just a simple matter of talking it over with his ISP.

• User profile image
    Steve411

Maybe he isn't that smart, W3bbo

.So if this guy has been around for over a hundred years.. Damn, imagine all the things he's seen. I'm guessing and probably over stating what he said when I say that he might of seen the war of 1812, holy (I need to watch my language), that'd be amazing if it were true.

He probably saw the Mexican-American war, as well. Then The Civil War, then The Spanish-American War, then World War 1, World War II, Korean War, Vetnam War, Desert Storm and hell now thanks to Bush the Operation Enduring Freedom.Huh..

Wow. Good luck buddy.
    - Steve

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Steve411 wrote:
    Maybe he isn't that smart, W3bbo

You neither.

Elementary cell biology tells us this is impossible anyway.

• User profile image
    Steve411

W3bbo wrote:
    Steve411 wrote: Maybe he isn't that smart, W3bbo

You neither.

Elementary cell biology tells us this is impossible anyway.

I thought you believed in evolution? Maybe somehow, just somehow, this guys genes evolved faster than yours... hence mutation in some way.

note: I'm not saying it's true, but it'd be neat if it was.
    - Steve

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Steve411 wrote:
    I thought you believed in evolution?

Don't raise this, I don't want to see another futile flamewar.

Besides, "believed" isn't the right word in this case.

Steve411 wrote:
    Maybe somehow, just somehow, this guys genes evolved faster than yours, hence mutation in some way.

That's not how evolution or darwinism works.

Steve411 wrote:
    note: I'm not saying it's true, but it'd be neat if it was.

It isn't.

• User profile image
    Steve411

W3bbo wrote:

Don't raise this, I don't want to see another futile flamewar.

Besides, "believed" isn't the right word in this case.

Ok, studied? Practiced? Is way too fascinated by it? Pick one.
    W3bbo wrote:

I wouldn't know, but then again you wouldn't for sure either.
    W3bbo wrote:

It isn't.

You have the right to an opinion.

- Steve

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Steve411 wrote:

W3bbo wrote:

Have you read Darwin's paper on Natural Selection?

...I thought not.

Say nothing more of the matter.

• User profile image
    Steve411

W3bbo wrote:
    Steve411 wrote:
    W3bbo wrote:

Have you read Darwin's paper on Natural Selection?

...I thought not.

Say nothing more of the matter.

Maybe you just didn't understand it well. In any case, im off to get some shut eye.

See ya.
    - Steve

• User profile image
    JChung2006

It's funny to see someone quote Darwin's Theory of Evolution as if it were Holy Scripture.  It's almost as funny as watching someone attempt to rationalize some lunatic's ravings about becoming ageless into rational science.

• User profile image
    Karim

JChung2006 wrote:
    It's funny to see someone quote Darwin's Theory of Evolution as if it were Holy Scripture.  It's almost as funny as watching someone attempt to rationalize some lunatic's ravings about becoming ageless into rational science.

Word Big Smile

I skimmed most of the text and it made my Spider Senseā„¢ go off big time -- it didn't seem extemporaneous, like natural conversation -- the clauses were too long etc.  At one point it seems like "Gene" takes 4 minutes to type in a windy paragraph, which NOBODY does in real life.  But the logs are edited -- you have to go into "Original Conversation Logs" to see the original text, and those seemed more natural & less scripted, there's no 4-minute soliloquy going on.

Statistically there are still a few things that bother me about the text.  The number of spelling errors is unusually low for a chat room conversation.  There are typos, but mostly simple transposition errors or double-struck keys.  Usually the low spelling error rate comes with a high vocabulary, and "Gene's" vocabulary seems supiciously dumbed down for someone with an IQ of 250.  There are some odd homonyms used ("there's a seen in that movie").  Likewise the vocabulary feels a little too modern ("frankenscience") for someone who's been around a while; the one exception being when he talks about "courting" women, then corrects himself and says "dating."  Maybe there should be more of those.

Is a person like Gene possible?  What little I know about the subject says yes -- assuming your telomeres don't shorten as fast, if your substantia nigra continues to pump out dopamine, etc. 

Is Gene for real?  As Mr. Spock would say, "Insufficient data."

The cynical side of me says this is a ruse to sell ALCAR (acetyl L-Carnitine) + ALA (alpha lipoic acid).  The combination is supposed to increase lifespan.  The ALCAR kicks older mitochondria into a more youthful gear, and the ALA is an antioxidant that scavenges the free radicals that result from the increased cellular activity.

The last link under articles is called "Supplements Create Fountain of Youth?" and the text is attributed to "Source Unknown."   <rolleyes>

For those of you interested in this sort of thing (what will happen to society when life-extension medicine is available, transhumanism etc.) you might want to check out the Bruce Sterline novel Holy Fire.

• User profile image
    Sabot

Beer has an anti-aging gene in it but it wears-off.

Women always look so much younger after a lot of consumption.

• User profile image
    bsilby

JChung2006 wrote:

I didn't read anyone quoting it as if it were scripture. It isn't scripture. It is a robust scientific theory. There's a big difference between science and scripture.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

bsilby wrote:
    JChung2006 wrote:It's funny to see someone quote Darwin's Theory of Evolution as if it were Holy Scripture.  It's almost as funny as watching someone attempt to rationalize some lunatic's ravings about becoming ageless into rational science.

I didn't read anyone quoting it as if it were scripture. It isn't scripture. It is a robust scientific theory. There's a big difference between science and scripture.

Indeed.

Besides, I wasn't quoting it anyway Smiley

• User profile image
    Minh

Humans, for all intended purposes have stopped evolving. It's because our ability to manipulate our genes FAR surpasses what time can do.

Scientists probe anti-ageing gene

"Scientists in the United States have discovered a gene that can keep mice alive for 30% longer than normal..."

Like we're not overpopulated already.

• User profile image
    Dr Herbie

Minh wrote:
    Humans, for all intended purposes have stopped evolving. It's because our ability to manipulate our genes FAR surpasses what time can do.

Oh dear.

We have not, and never will 'stop evolving';  it's built in.

We may be able to manipulate our genes, but we currently cannot manipulate our germ line. 

If we use gene therapy to fix an individual's genetic desease, they will still pass those faulty genes on to their offspring because we don't fix the stem cells that create sperm and ova. It may be possible soon, but not yet.

Some would even argue that the ability to manupulate our genes is a 'proximal evolution' -- it we hadn't evolved the way we have, we wouldn't be able to manupilate our genes.  We have therefore evolved to manipulate our own evolution.  There are already many people studying the concept that 'evolvability' might itself be under evolutionary pressure (some species have evolved to evolve faster).

Herbie

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.