Coffeehouse Thread

24 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Why I love Windows

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

I figure with all the crap that I talk to Beer and how much I run around and promote Windows (Kinda biased I admit) that prehaps I should kinda "reunite" myself with Linux today. So starting at aprox 10:00 I grabbed my CD spindle and started downloding a few distros. I'll explain my happenings i the next few paragraphs...

First I started out by trying Ubuntu Breezy 5.10. Downloaded it at 1 MB/s and burnt it to disk. Installed it and after the restart XServer couldn't find my graphics card (after it graphically displayed the whole installation). I remember that I needed to edit xorg.conf apt-get me nvidia-glx and all was good. Ubuntu is nice but kinda "dull". So I decided that I wanted to try a different distro (One CD)

I downloaded the live/install CD of Gentoo. They have a torrent but it was down. Downloaded from a mirror at 500k. Tried to install that and at 80% of the installation it stops and hangs. Going into verbose mode doesn't show me anything I could even start with to work on. Well forget that. (One CD)

So I figured that before I give up I should try a different distro. I reinstalled Ubuntu and then downloaded FC4. Now this was interesting because though the whole CD set is 2.5 GB there is no torrent Sad however the Life Sciences mirror at the Uni of AZ was close (I can throw a rock and hit the building). Again 1MB/s download and 5 CDs (4 for the OS 1 rescue) I'm back at trying the installation. Now the UI for Fedora is awesome as far as installation of Linux. But when I chose to remove the partitions and have it install it croaked. Forget that. (5 CDs)

So I installed Kubuntu (1 CD) however just wanted the base system. After I installed that I tried to install KDM (Doh! Silly me forgot XServer). So I install XServer and wonder why KDM didn't list it as a dependancy and install it anyways? Oh well, Installed Kubuntu and downloaded the first disk of FC4 figuring that the disk was corrupted or something. While I was in Kubuntu I noticed that Novell for SUSE had an eval version but nothing else forget that. Burnt the first FC4 CD and restarted and chose to install leaving the partitions in place, EXCELLENT! Installation ask for Disk 2, I put that in and go eat dinner. Come back and the computer is turned off, I figure the install was done, Turn the computer back on...GRUB for Kubuntu no Fedora Sad (2 Disk).

So since I am a GNOME type person and not KDE I reinstalled Ubuntu (with nvidia tweaks to get it to work). And found libgipod online for my iPod, downloaded that and tried to install from source. "a C Source compiler was not found" ok no problem so I apt gcc reopen terminal and ./configure..."configure cannot create executables, please open config.log for more info". Again alot of data...no real "Warning", "Fail", "Suggested resolutions", nothing. *sigh*

So after 10 CDs and 4 distos I ended up with nothing. But the day isn't over with yet...

Opening up my CD case and grabbing my three restore disk for my computer I toss one in after another and 15 minutes later I come to "Windows XP Home", commence to yank all the eMachines crap off of it and start the updates. 5 minutes later I'm downloading XPSP2 and then iTunes to use my iPod, then this post.

My experience was horrible today (not saying everyones is) but I felt in order for me to be really any bias I had to give it another go. I spent about 10 hours + attempting to download/burn/install ANY distro I could besides Ubuntu/Kubuntu, and sacraficed 10 CDs in the process. In the end untill I can see the same steps to install Linux as I do with Windows now I'm going to be staying away from it.

How about you? What has your Linux vs. Windows experience been?

• User profile image
    IRenderable

My Linux experiance: Hardware was all automatiacally detected, it came with dev tools so I was all happy and after a day I had my 3d hardware acceleration on and wine setup so I could play games (except for a few recent DX games which is why I still have a win partition).

Basically the same thing happened when I use windows. There is however one thing that is diffrent, Linux is more enjoyable to mess around and hack on. I am not like those people who preach about the greatness of open source and then never contribute I actually contribute and because of that I think it is more fun to hack on. Overall Windows and Linux are great OSes and you should use whatever fits you (or use both).

Actually I think BeOs is the greatest but the lack of apps and drivers make me sad. I still have a computer with it on to mess with.

• User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

Right that is understandable...and had I given it more time I would have looked around and found out what was going on. I was just saddened that it seems like little to no progress had been made in making it easy enough to install..for example

For the nvidia GeForceFX 5200 (Which I have) installation instructions exist on the UbuntuForums.org site. The packages exist and are apt'able however the software doesn't detect it and install them? Why not? (Hypothetical question).

• User profile image
    IRenderable

Cybermagellan wrote:

For the nvidia GeForceFX 5200 (Which I have) installation instructions exist on the UbuntuForums.org site. The packages exist and are apt'able however the software doesn't detect it and install them? Why not? (Hypothetical question).

Do you mean X won't start or the 3d accellerated drivers won't install? Because I had a 5200 before I upgraded and ubuntu installed perfectly. If it's the latter, did you edit the xorg.conf file correctly? The nvidia site should tell you how to.

• User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

X wont start if I do a fresh install.

I have to

apt-get install nvidia-glx then exit xorg.conf to set the driver to nvidia (trying nv doesn't work) and change it to 2:10:0 for Ubuntu to detect that....funny thing is also I have to disable ACPI or it restarts the computer after aprox 45 mins...and I don't have an ACPI enabled board.

But these are all my points....why should I have to? True it's fun and you learn things but this is what all stops Linux from moving forward.

• User profile image
    dotnetjunkie

IRenderable wrote:
    Linux is more enjoyable to mess around and hack on.

WHAT???!!! You must be a masochist! Smiley Oh come on, you can't be serious about that.  Linux is horrible in that way, it's a total mess, about any other OS is more enjoyable.

That being said, Linux has its place, and I use it (Debian to be precise) for some specific tasks for which Windows hasn't got an interesting alternative (yet).
    Of course, the moment comparable or better software would come out for the Windows platform, I will be more than happy to throw our linux servers out of the window Smiley  Unfortunately, I don't see that happening very soon though...
    Also, for some embedded applications (large number of devices) linux can be cost-effective once you have been through the hell of setting up and configuring one system.

Working on Linux feels like shuffling through an immense pile of garbage, only to find that one file or dependency you need.  The file system structure contributes a lot to that bad experience, it's just complete chaos.

Also, it's painful to see that Linux doesn't adhere to standards, each and every application uses its own type of configuration and communication system.  Don't even get me started on the .config file mess!!!  Even die-hard linux users argue about these all the time (check out any given linux app's mailing list...)

Oh, the stories me and my colleagues can tell about Linux Big Smile
    I could go on for ages...

Advice to others thinking about experimenting with Linux: unless you have the specific need for a unique application that you can't run on Windows, stay away from it, there are better ways to spend your time (and I mean LOTS of time!).

• User profile image
    dotnetjunkie

Beer, what about Debian (and related distros)?

I always tend to prefer these because of the superior installation/dependency system (apt-get).

• User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

I mean why should I have to run around and edit everything? Plus RedHat isn't free is it (except for FC4, see above). Everyone complains about Microsoft and the way they develop however it seems like every distro is a small Microsoft that is trying to learn how to get their niche.

None have the backing of Microsoft and that seems to be a huge failpoint.

*wraps self up in Windows Flag blanket*

• User profile image
    dotnetjunkie

Cybermagellan wrote:

*wraps self up in Windows Flag blanket*

Oh, how I would love to have one of these Big Smile

BTW Beer, nice to see that redhat has an e-magazine, but the videos are pure marketing, nothing like C9...

And indeed, redhat isn't free, which is apparently one of the reasons why their support for hardware and stuff is better (maybe they pay vendors to create redhat drivers?)

• User profile image
    dotnetjunkie

You also have CentOS, which is like a free enterprise redhat. Smiley

• User profile image
    Erisan
  • User profile image
    Steve411

An essay draft for you guys..Just replace [Your Name] with..You know.

A Teacher wrote:

Why I love Windows, by [Your name]

The reason, and perhaps the best ever, why I love windows is because if it crashes I can jump out and slide on over to linux making my boss think im actually working..But hey, we all know that CS2 is running..

- Steve

• User profile image
    rjdohnert

Of all the Linux distributions I have tried I liked the Java Desktop System, Xandros and Fedora  Core 4.  None are ready for the average desktop user so if people want an alternative the Macintosh is about the way to go for an average user.   SuSE 10 is ok, its not as far ahead as it should be but thats what happens when a 2 bit company like Novell takes over.  When SuSE was a seperate entity I could call em and they wouldnt get off the phone until we either had a fix for the problem or a workaround.  Novells support sucks.  The Linux scene has improved a lot but I wouldnt feel comfortable recommending any Linux distribution to anyione who isnt a tech savvy person.

• User profile image
    JChung2006

I've always been a Slackware fan myself, but I haven't tried to do a Linux installation myself in over 10 years.  Things may have changed, heh.

• User profile image
    rjdohnert

JChung2006 wrote:
    I've always been a Slackware fan myself, but I haven't tried to do a Linux installation myself in over 10 years.  Things may have changed, heh.

When I first got involved with Linux Slackware was one of my favorites. 

• User profile image
    rjdohnert

Steve411 wrote:
    An essay draft for you guys..Just replace [Your Name] with..You know.

A Teacher wrote:
    Why I love Windows, by [Your name]

The reason, and perhaps the best ever, why I love windows is because if it crashes I can jump out and slide on over to linux making my boss think im actually working..But hey, we all know that CS2 is running..

- Steve

One of the problems I have had is with this assertation.   Windows 2000 and Windows XP have never crashed on me.  Sure I have had application crashes but I have never had any crash that has rendered the system unusable or where I have actually had to force reboot the system.

• User profile image
    lborsato

Interestingly, people always say how terrible the free versions of Linux are compared to Windows XP Professional, which I use, that retails at Best Buy for $300.

Meanwhile I've had pretty good luck with the free Linux distros I've installed.

• User profile image
    Sabot

I'm actually got fed-up with my Suse 9.3 box!

Linux does get talked up a lot and the simple fact is that it isn't as easy as all the Fan boys like Beer et al would have you believe.

Linux is along way off being a mature user friendly desktop OS. I would give it five years or so before it's there.

For now I'm going to format the harddisk on my spare PC and have a look at something else. Perhaps I will look at the new Vista build.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.