Coffeehouse Thread

13 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

News Aggregators that have 'Toast Pop-Ups'

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    dnrfan

I've never used an aggregator before.  I thought it would be cool to have a little box on your desktop that alerted you to something you subscribed to, but all I find are things that look like email clients.

Is there such an aggregator that does the following?.......

One that pops up a toast message - much like MSN Messenger - when something new has happened.

Scenario:  Your waiting for a reply on a forum, or waiting to hear of any new posts on a forum.  Your working away and 'pop' a toast pop-up appears and lets me know that someone has posted something new.  Or say, scoble has another video posted up on channel 9.

Anyone know of such an agg'?

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

RSS Bandit will do just that. You can configure the popups per feed, even.

• User profile image
    TommyCarlier

Opera's built in aggregator does this. When there are new posts, you get a toast popup, but it's not as aggressive as MSN Messenger popups.

• User profile image
    MisterDonut

I believe SharpReader does that as well, and its free.

• User profile image
    dnrfan

Cheers ALL !! Cool

MUCH appreciated.

BTW: SharpReader website is down.

www.sharpreader.net

• User profile image
    MisterDonut

I"m able to get on: 11:18 EST.

• User profile image
    draza

dnrfan wrote:
    One that pops up a toast message - much like MSN Messenger - when something new has happened.

Scenario:  Your waiting for a reply on a forum, or waiting to hear of any new posts on a forum.  Your working away and 'pop' a toast pop-up appears and lets me know that someone has posted something new.  Or say, scoble has another video posted up on channel 9.
    Anyone know of such an agg'?

What you want is Microsoft Alerts. It works with your normal IM client (read Messenger) and will alert you if the provider of the information has hooked up with Microsoft. This works great for Microsoft Forums.

As for other usages (like notifying you on new messages from feeds you subscribed to) I don't find that at all usable due to high volume of updates, but for the scenario you described above this system is perfect.

• User profile image
    dnrfan

OK, I tried RSS Bandit and Sharp Reader.

Both threw up Fatal Exceptions.

Placing in the too hard basket........DUNK

• User profile image
    dnrfan

I've come across 'Awasu' which does what I want it to.

• User profile image
    tthomas101

If it is craigslist that you want toast popups for I wrote craigstoast to do jsut that

You can find the tool at:

http://craigstoast.com

• User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

dnrfan wrote:

I've come across 'Awasu' which does what I want it to.

I'm confused...

Awasu Website wrote:

And best of all? It's free!

and on the right hand side...

EDIT: NVM there are three different versions of it...

• User profile image
    die-Sel

grrr RSS, now thats one thing i have never really got into at all.

For some reason i just cant find a program that takes the RSS feed and displays it the i want it. Although Awasu looks suitable, so i may just give it a go. But if its not then its time for me to code my own Smiley

• User profile image
    sbc

GreatNews is the one I use. Portable too (i.e. run off external hard/flash drive). Bloglines integration. Freeware.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.