Coffeehouse Thread

12 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Moderator Plea

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    W3bbo

Hi

Not wanting to name names, but it seems that the exisiting moderation solution just "isn't enough".

Already we've got another troll doing the rounds (as I type this), from what I've seen, the moderators don't seem too able to tell the differences between a genuine troll or just a bona-fide newb.

But a more glaring issue is the lack of moderators outside USA timezones. I still feel we should elect a moderator from Europe or Africa and another from Asia/India, and perhaps Kangarooland as well.

I propose starting a new poll with a list of shortlisted niners, the population then chooses who is to receive the mighty hammer. The priveledged individuals can have their powers revoked at any time, naturally, if any one has reason to complain.

• User profile image
    Minh

EU,
    Give us back ICANN, and we'll think about giving you moderation duty Smiley

PS,
    I rather have too little moderation than too much.

• User profile image
    Karim

"If nominated, I will not run; if elected, I will not serve."

-- William Tecumseh Sherman

Big Smile

(General Sherman and I have a few things in common, including our love of scorched earth.)

• User profile image
    Sabot

W3bbo wrote:
    ... and perhaps Kangarooland as well ...

W3bbo! I'm shocked ... It's Cricket looooosing land. Tongue Out

Who's the troll? Is he from Oracle.

• User profile image
    jonathanh

I'm watching him. Locked one dup thread so far, about to lock another. Seems more like an over-eager n00b than a troll. Channel 9 has mostly been doing a good job of ignoring his threads and letting them drop off the front page.

• User profile image
    sbc

Are all Microsoft C9 regulars based in the US, or are there some from say, Reading in the UK that could moderate?

The only problem having a non-Microsoft 9er as moderator is they may moderate a bit too much (say if they do not like another regular that has different viewpoints to them). You need both ends of the spectrum (hate Linux, love Microsoft; love Linux, hate Microsoft) as well as neutral contributers.

• User profile image
    Tyler Brown

If this were to be implemented, I'd rather see people elected that could objectively make moderation decisions as opposed to have a biased viewpoint ballanced by another moderator with an oppositely biased viewpoint. Just my two cents.

• User profile image
    irascian

sbc wrote:
    Are all Microsoft C9 regulars based in the US, or are there some from say, Reading in the UK that could moderate?

I think jonathanh is based in the UK isn't he?

• User profile image
    W3bbo

irascian wrote:
    sbc wrote:Are all Microsoft C9 regulars based in the US, or are there some from say, Reading in the UK that could moderate?

Was.

He used to be at the Cambridge reserch place, but moved to the 'states quite a number of years ago.

• User profile image
    Manip

irascian wrote:
    sbc wrote: Are all Microsoft C9 regulars based in the US, or are there some from say, Reading in the UK that could moderate?

No. He is from the UK, works in the USA -- Redmond.

• User profile image
    irascian

W3bbo wrote:

He used to be at the Cambridge reserch place, but moved to the 'states quite a number of years ago.

Ah thanks. My bad!

• User profile image
    Yggdrasil

sbc wrote:

The only problem having a non-Microsoft 9er as moderator is they may moderate a bit too much (say if they do not like another regular that has different viewpoints to them). You need both ends of the spectrum (hate Linux, love Microsoft; love Linux, hate Microsoft) as well as neutral contributers.

That's overkill - you'd appoint 9 moderators to appease some unreachable PC balance and end up with nothing workable - either a bunch of mods who are only there to fill some quota, or not appointing any at all because you can't fill every "alignment" niche.

Zealots on both sides may have made you forget, but most reasonable people are able to distinguish between junk posts and posts about subjects they dislike. There's no reason why 1-2 moderators with cool tempers won't do a fine job without angering anyone unnecessarily.
    (As opposed to angering people necessarily, which is, of course, necessary).

This, BTW, applies to a Microsoft moderator just as much as to a community-nominated moderator.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.