Coffeehouse Thread

20 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Thread Summary: Would it save clicking troll posts?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    jamie

..just an idea - but look at below:

Generic Forum Image
    The Corporation     Beer28
    I finally watched it tonight. It was basically, exactly what I thought. A bunch of self serving executives chiding themselves for past misdeeds, all the while never offering to fix anything, and some analytical deconstruction of the persona of a corporation.
      ->
    17 312 Today @ 4:48 PM
    Cider
      Generic Forum Image
    who do you think is better? Tea or Coffee     Sabot
    "Teas best ! Coffee sucks bad and turns you into a weirdo." Yes it's a stupid statement and is my Linux v Windows counter thread.  It's just as ridiculous and will hopefully demonstrate the futility of such pointless debates in the future as we can now point to this thread when ever this particular debate arises.   ->
    22 255 Today @ 4:47 PM
    IRenderable
      Generic Forum Image
    who do you think is better? linux or microsoft      nineguycrazy
    COME ON!!!! testify your belifs and say who do you think is better
    MICROSOFT OR LINUX?    ->
    41 807 Today @ 4:42 PM
    IRenderable
    Page: 1, 2
      Generic Forum Image
    Moderator Plea     W3bbo
    Already we've got another troll doing the rounds (as I type this), from what I've seen, the moderators don't seem too able to tell the differences between a genuine troll or just a bona-fide newb.   ->
    10 203 Today @ 4:10 PM
    irascian
      Generic Forum Image
    Why I love Windows      Cybermagellan
    I figure with all the crap that I talk to Beer and how much I run around and promote Windows (Kinda biased I admit) that prehaps I should kinda "reunite" myself with Linux today. So starting at aprox 10:00 I grabbed my CD spindle and started downloding a few distros. I'll explain my happenings i the next few paragraphs..  ->
    27 736 Today @ 3:39 PM
    Beer28
      Generic Forum Image
    Do you believe in Gene? (Did this guy really stop aging?)   Podme
    Okay, so it can't be real. But somehow it made me think just maybe it's possible.
    From the intro at AgelessGene.com )
      ->
    14 317 Today @ 3:34 PM
    W3bbo
    (if the formatting isnt correct try: http://www.channel9.ca/new/summary/ )

So if there were a bit more to see of a post - we could:

a) spot stupid ones without awarding them views
    b) actually include URLs ( for short - "hey look at this" threads)
    c) In general get an idea of what youre clicking ( ie; Style thread)
    d) and lastly - look more "bloggish" aka like scoble has heading and some text - then full thread

no?  too much scrolling on coffeehouse front door?
    Maybe increase shown thread amount so more fit?

Id find it useful

* maybe people would actually write good summaries too - if it were there..  would make you stop for a sec... "why am i posting this again? - do i have a POINT? Wink )

• User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

I love the idea

• User profile image
    irascian

I like this a lot!

• User profile image
    Karim

Some kind of rating/ranking system might help, but that's been said many times before...

Maybe threads that suck could get a little icon next to them, like the one Popular Science uses in the "Worst Jobs" article:

Ditto for threads that you thought died years ago:

• User profile image
    jamie

actually - forget trolls altogether...(that would be like an added bonus)  in general -  it would just be more efficient.

sometimes you click thread titles just to see what they are .. click/back..click/back..click/back..

by adding summaries to even regular members threads, it would make it easier to view more threads - at a glance ?

ps - doesnt have to have the small avatars either - as in:

The Corporation     Beer28
    I finally watched it tonight. It was basically, exactly what I thought. A bunch of self serving executives chiding themselves for past misdeeds, all the while never offering to fix anything, and some analytical deconstruction of the persona of a corporation.  ->
    17 312 Today @ 4:48 PM
    Cider

who do you think is better? Tea or Coffee     Sabot
    "Teas best ! Coffee sucks bad and turns you into a weirdo." Yes it's a stupid statement and is my Linux v Windows counter thread.  It's just as ridiculous and will hopefully demonstrate the futility of such pointless debates in the future as we can now point to this thread when ever this particular debate arises.   ->
    22 255 Today @ 4:47 PM
    IRenderable

who do you think is better? linux or microsoft      nineguycrazy
    COME ON!!!! testify your belifs and say who do you think is better
    MICROSOFT OR LINUX?    ->
    41 807 Today @ 4:42 PM
    IRenderable

Moderator Plea     W3bbo
    Already we've got another troll doing the rounds (as I type this), from what I've seen, the moderators don't seem too able to tell the differences between a genuine troll or just a bona-fide newb.   ->
    10 203 Today @ 4:10 PM
    irascian

Why I love Windows      Cybermagellan
    I figure with all the crap that I talk to Beer and how much I run around and promote Windows (Kinda biased I admit) that prehaps I should kinda "reunite" myself with Linux today. So starting at aprox 10:00 I grabbed my CD spindle and started downloding a few distros. I'll explain my happenings i the next few paragraphs..  ->
    27 736 Today @ 3:39 PM
    Beer28

Do you believe in Gene? (Did this guy really stop aging?)   Podme
    Okay, so it can't be real. But somehow it made me think just maybe it's possible...
    From the intro at AgelessGene.com )   ->
    14 317 Today @ 3:34 PM
    W3bbo

• User profile image
    jamie

well it's not all about the trolls - its also good to provide what it is

...as an aside-  on page one of our profile we could hopefully choose:

- Display title only
    - Display title & first 60 characters (= summary)
    - Title + Specify amount of characters to display
    - Display title and full post 

..as well as move Biography or whatever it is to the BOTTOM Smiley

• User profile image
    Manip

I prefer the one above without all the avatars... .

• User profile image
    jamie

cool.    i counted the longest summary to be aprox 60 words

too long?

• User profile image
    Devils​Rejection

why not use ajax and have a box pop up with the first post when you hover over the link to a thread.

• User profile image
    Manip

Because the box would pop up when you go to click on the link too, and thus would be VERY annoying.

• User profile image
    Devils​Rejection

so then make a seperate button, like an eye, that you click and the first post comes up in a box. click the eye again and it closes or have an x in the box.

just make it like start.com lol

• User profile image
    Heywood_J

Please mark this thread as "Troll".

• User profile image
    jamie

huh?

• User profile image
    JChung2006

I like the thread summary idea though I'm not sure it would prevent troll post clicks.

• User profile image
    MasterPi

I like this idea a lot, in general.  Most of the times, I either can't find the topic I want or I don't want to waste time going into a dull topic.

• User profile image
    Manip

Don't forget, such previews would increase the loading time on the coffeehouse by a LOT with all that extra info... Smiley

• User profile image
    MasterPi

Manip wrote:

Don't forget, such previews would increase the loading time on the coffeehouse by a LOT with all that extra info...

So we just make it an option like the Niner Bar.

• User profile image
    Andrei P

Manip wrote:
    Because the box would pop up when you go to click on the link too, and thus would be VERY annoying.

Delay.

But there's no need to go with DHTML. Simply use the title attribute of the link, just like vBulletin does. This will show a typical Windows tooltip.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.