Coffeehouse Thread

11 posts

Doom at the theater was cool ... for 15 minutes

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    TDavid

Anybody else see ow Drops 08 PO Fit this weekend?

• User profile image
    jamie

i almost went... got vetoed

so - how was it?

• User profile image
    Manip

The fact they changed "Open a Gate to Hell" to "Discovered the final parts of our DNA" should tell you everything you need to know. Expressionless

Plus it has that 'Rock' guy in it; he has been in nothing even remotely good that I've seen.

• User profile image
    TDavid

Rotten Tomatoes critics are slaying it but it wasn't that bad.

Toward the end (no spoilers) there was a good 15 minutes that was just like the game but most of the rest was slow. Too much waiting for stuff to happen, not hellish enough, not enough carnage.

Also, not enough of the enemies made it to the screen. I wonder sometimes if the people who make these movies ever actually play the game to get the true nuances of what happens in them.

Cool

• User profile image
    TDavid

Manip wrote:
    Plus it has that 'Rock' guy in it; he has been in nothing even remotely good that I've seen.

The Rock did an OK job reprising the role as Bufford Pusser in Walking Tall.

• User profile image
    jamie

i wish they had added some old doom characters.. seems adrian(?) carmack has gotten into all these half machine/half human creatures

i liked the strawberries, the bone bomb guys... the pink rhino type dudes from doom 1

• User profile image
    IRenderable

jamie wrote:
    [..]adrian(?) carmack[...]
    One a of the few things I liked about it was they slipped in the developers of Doom (At least the original) into the movie. Adrian was one of the few artists that worked on Doom 9Back then they had like 3 only). The 10 minute FPS scene was cool but everything else sucked balls. If you forget that it was based off of Doom it sucked (I need to watch my language). If you remember that it was called Doom and supposed to share the same story as the game then it would make you cry.

• User profile image
    rjdohnert

The Rock says:  Shut your mouth, in 15 seconds the millions and I mean MILLIONS of the Rocks fans will start chanting the Rocks name.....The Rock says:  You wanna go one on one WITH THE GREAT ONE!!!!IF YA SMEEEEEEEEEEELL WHAT THE ROCK IS COOKIN!!!!!Dont forget to raise that eyebrow Cool

• User profile image
    Minh

TDavid wrote:

Toward the end (no spoilers) there was a good 15 minutes that was just like the game but most of the rest was slow.

Sitting through one bad Doom movie for the final 15 minutes is still MUCH better than sitting through three REALLY bad Starwars movie for the final 15 minutes. I'll probably pass on Doom.

Hey, Halo the movie will have What's-his-name LOTR as producer, so that could be good.

• User profile image
    irascian

Minh wrote:

Hey, Halo the movie will have What's-his-name LOTR as producer, so that could be good.

Being a producer is rather different from being a director (which is the role Peter Jackson has always had in the past). One only has to look at the burnout rate of Jackson's previous producers (it's like watching some kind of alien aging agent being used on people) to judge whether the skillsets required are the same.

This story may give a clue as to what causes that aging effect!

• User profile image
    JChung2006

I so do not want to see this movie without a fast forward/skip to next scene remote control.

Funny comic about the subject at hand - http://www.ctrlaltdel-online.com/?t=archives&date=2005-10-24

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.