Coffeehouse Thread

40 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

IE 6.5 Top Ten Features Wishlist

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    jamie

<perfect world>

Available free for download
    A NEW update to the award winning, industry leading Internet Explorer browser.

New Features including:

1 - better security

2 - the top ten css bugs fixed

3 - "Enable tabs - toolbar"

4 - Hi res WMF/EMF vector support featuring smaller file sizes than Flashtm vectors + PNG support

5 - Free auto-blog feature to msn communities - or choose your own destination publishing point ( rss enabled to any site - or at least most popular engines)

6 - MORE storage - integrated photo album button on toolbar - goes to communities = "nicely" kill google haha

7 - SMART Fullscreen  ( you tell me.. as the new sp2 ver IS NOT full screen)

8 - IE Themes: Just as easily as you could change the scollbar colours - now that functionality is avaiable for the browser background, staus bar, all icons and borders! -Example:

scrollbar-track-color: #B5C7DD;
    scrollbar-arrow-color: #999999}

menu-face color=
    browser border=
    button back= src ms_back.bmp
    button ahead = src ms_ahead.bmp
    etc
    menu size=
    staus visible =
    staus size=
    etc

9. ?

10. ?

*  I tried to take everything into account across the board - tabs / png / css / gmail / themes / longhorn non-svg vectors ( wmf/emf) fullscreen done right and lastly - blog rss

im sure i missed some stuff let me know - but what im hoping is that everyone more or less - if they agree just posts ..like.. YES!

then ms would have a list to go on
    not an unstructured argument again.. ( see - all other ie threads)

?

** for brevity - heres the top ten:

1   Over all security
    2   CSS fixes - not all but some
    3   Tabs support (enable through toolbar choice)
    4   PNG / Vector wmf/emf support
    5   Auto-Blog
    6   Auto-Photo
    7   SMART Fullscreen
    8   IE Themes
    9   ?
    10  ?

• User profile image
    jamie

9. faster FTP w/file reslove?

• User profile image
    lars

I the Wiki is a good place to put this.

• User profile image
    jamie

Was aiming for a simple top ten list
    ..pre-wiki

prefreably "definative" top 10
    ..you cant get feedback in wiki...
    ?

• User profile image
    pacelvi

I"d like to see these additions to the Download Blocker, PopUp Blocker, etc.

Instead "Your computer is trying to do some vague thing"

I want (for popup blocker):

- User clicks Submit
    - If at all possible detect if this action will result in PopUp windows and if so , ask, BEFORE sending the HTTP to the server,

"Clicking on that thing will result in Pop Up Window at [URL], Proceed?"

, otherwise ask the same question, note the useful URL indicator.

And for the download blocker "Website is attempting to download [FILE NAME.EXTENSION]"  instead of "Let the website do what it wants?"

• User profile image
    lars

Anyone can edit the pages on the Wiki. Just a thought since there already is an IE feedback section. Works both ways I suppose. Carry on... ^-^

• User profile image
    billh

IE 7: Codename "Swiss Cheese".  "Collander" would work, too.

• User profile image
    jamie

10. Lock homepage?

* so if you make your homepage google or what ever and click the little "lock" icon - NO spyware can change it EVER  Wink

about:blank - CoolWebSearch
    no!  www.google.ca
    reboot
    about:blank - coolwebsearch
    no! www.google.ca
    reboot

arrg

so..>>>>>>>>

1   Over all security
    2   CSS fixes - not all but some
    3   Tabs support (enable through toolbar choice)
    4   PNG / Hi-res Vector wmf/emf support
    5   Auto-Blog  - to msn communities
    6   Auto-Photo - to msn communities
    7   SMART Fullscreen
    8   IE Themes (Simple css - like scroll bars)
    9   Faster FTP with file resolve (like cuteFTP)
    10  Lock Homepage (STOP alot of spyware)

..id be very happy anyway Smiley

ps - the reason i added hi res wmf is i wanted to make a site that, like Flash, expanded to any resolution.  Built all using layers or tables using percents - it would be possible - problem is - i could find no suitable graphics format to this - and Flash - doesnt have the regular right mouse click properties flyout - like jpgs - so making a Flash anything a URL or mouseover script is next to impossible ( or its all gotta be flash. 

Enter hi-res wmfs or emfs.  These would scale without loss of resolution and would enable me to build the above scenario. Im a aware of SVG (plugin maddness) and other Longhorn based vectors.  Hi res wmfs - would be fine for me - id actually use them for everything ( so long as the file size was comparable to Flash.

• User profile image
    bsilby

I agree with this list of 10. They all seem reasonable to me. This should keep IE on top of the heap Smiley

Brent.

• User profile image
    object88

pacelvi wrote:
    - User clicks Submit
    - If at all possible detect if this action will result in PopUp windows and if so , ask, BEFORE sending the HTTP to the server,

There's no way to know what will come back from a submit, so this isn't technically possible.

• User profile image
    jamie

bsilby wrote:
    I agree with this list of 10. They all seem reasonable to me. This should keep IE on top of the heap Smiley

Brent.

Thanks brent. The more yays than nays the better the results
    There is power in numbers folks - the more people that can find 3 or 4 features out of 10 that they like - the closer we are to a common concensus - the closer we are to ms will hopefully take us seriously

I think this list pretty much runs the gamut of features and fixes ive read everyone talking about

hey add some .. 11.?  12.? 

* the thing with the wiki - is there no polling mechanism for feedback - sure you can delete someone else post and make your own - and change it back and fight! Wink

This is what user polling is for - it should be available on every thread - even as a quick click: Rate this Thread - Agree, Somewhat agree,  Respectively Disagree, Interesting/Unsure

Id love to have a separate poll - within one thread, for every feature in that 10 list - Would make IE better?  Would not make IE better?

anyway...the purpose of this thread is a pre-wiki - pretty close - we can live with this - feature/fix list for what i refer to as IE 6.5

otherwise thanks for humouring me  Wink

Auto Blog Feature Correction:
    ** Fun Fun Fun on the Auto Blog
    Maybe goes to your msn profile - not communities ( sort of same thing)

im sick of clicking on peoples msn profile and its user: wwerwetre  no details
    make a reason to use it

• User profile image
    lars

I'll add one: Opera style page zoom.

• User profile image
    jamie

/Lars - you mean like when an image is resized to fit - and you get an auto magnify glass? = one click - instead of a) having to turn the feature off under tools - or b) the 4 arrow icon - which can only be clicked to one zoom level (100%)

i agree - in both scenarios - the mozilla implimentation has got ie's beat

• User profile image
    lars

IIRC Opera has a feature where the user can zoom in on a parth of the webpage. 100%, 200% etc and blow up that part of the page. Like a magnifying glass. I don't have Opera installed at the moment so I can't check. But that's basicly what I want. I've found it useful for pages targeted at lower resolutions where the images get really small on a larger screen. I'm sure it's a good thing for visually impaired people too.

/Lars

• User profile image
    jamie

one more on the vectors -

MS - do you still have shares in Corel? ( i know they are private now)

Say what you like about that company - they have great programmers - and are familiar with XML

i was hoping maybe they could work with you on a format for vector - that seems less foriegn to the new ones being proposed ( svg - plugin - jaggy )

cmx / wmf / emf

hi res - smaller than flash - can include images
    vector - OR images have auto-alphablend applied option ( for tuner skins - or desktop icons etc)

• User profile image
    jamie

oh thats cool too - zoom a page - id use that

• User profile image
    BruceLee

There are many cool features IE should have added but I think a small, clearn and fast browser is the best we should have. The additional features could be added by plugins and extensions. Firefox is a good sample.

• User profile image
    jamie

...but firefox currently has MORE features than ie..

it does fullscreen correctly ( with plugin)
    it has standards and css down
    it has the zoom capability

all ie has going for it is the windows page rendering engine - or whatever the win equiv of geko is - i just dont like how moz renders in chunks = geko i presume

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.