Coffeehouse Thread

8 posts

How does Expression compare with Visual Studio?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • W3bbo

'lo

Some of you may be aware of this.

I noticed that part of the "Expression" suite includes a web design tool, clearly to rival Macradobe's Dreamweaver product. (And about time too, what with there being zilch competition in the marketplace right now)

But wait.... doesn't Visual Studio come with a web-design tool built-in anyway?

So how does this compare to VS2005's web-design tools?

Expression's "art-y" tool also looks attractive, I can see it taking pot-shots at Macradobe's Fireworks / Photoshop combi. Photoshop isn't exactly the best way to produce engaging UI templates, but its the only way right now. Kudos to Microsoft for buying out the right company this time round.

Also take note at the VS2005 RTM packaging... its now Red.

Woohoo! FINALLY Microsoft has abandoned the "everyone likes green and blue!" look and gone for something daring. Can anyone here name a single software box that's red all over?

I thought not Smiley

• Compiled​Monkey

WOW!

That stuff looks awesome!

• Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

McAfee VirusScan 2005 (the previous version) and its other companion products come in red boxes.  The VS2005 box looks nice too... but it is just a box, so...

Expression Graphic Designer is a REALLY cool app... I've been running the beta for a while now and it is impressive:  I will be sad when it expires at the end of the year.  I don't know about the rest of the applications in the suite:  they haven't been released as public betas.

I don't really understand their intentions by producing ANOTHER web designer:  They already have Frontpage and the designer in VS.  You won't see me crying if Expression Web Designer replaces Frontpage, though.  Frontpage stinks.

• W3bbo

CannotResolveSymbol wrote:
    I don't really understand their intentions by producing ANOTHER web designer:  They already have Frontpage and the designer in VS.  You won't see me crying if Expression Web Designer replaces Frontpage, though.  Frontpage stinks.

FrontPage is intended for "the department website", rather than a professional tool. That task is relegated to Macromedia's Dreamweaver.

Of course, you could argue that Word should be used to creat departmental websites, but I disagree, its fine for single documents, not whole sites that need organising.

So basically, the stacking order of Microsoft HTML editors goes something like this:

• Heavy Duty + Web-Applications: Visual Studio
    • Small web-app tasks: Visual Web Developer
    • Specific website design and basic application: Expression Web Designer
    • Departmental / small business sites: Office FrontPage
    • Single pages here and there: Office Word
    Makes sense, they've got it all covered from "Little Timmy's first webpage!" all through to behemoth Amazon.com-like web applications.

Its like Kimberly-Clark, did you know they produce diapers for all age-groups now?

Its the only way to suck all the money out of a market anyway, leave no gaps.

Next on Microsoft's vertical-monopoly list: 3D modelling (to fill the gap left by Alias's recent takeover by Discreet)

• jonathanh

CannotResolveSymbol wrote:
    It won't replace FrontPage - they're aimed at different markets

Edit: W3bbo said it better Smiley

• MasterPi

Yeah, I'd think that visual web developer would focus on more of the coding of the site and Expression Web Designer would focus on the design.

• AdamKinney

W3bbo wrote:

• Heavy Duty + Web-Applications: Visual Studio
    • Small web-app tasks: Visual Web Developer
    • Specific website design and basic application: Expression Web Designer
    • Departmental / small business sites: Office FrontPage
    • Single pages here and there: Office Word

I would argue that Quartz Web Designer could be used for all of the above.  My impression is the Sparkle is to Cider as Quartz is to Visual Studio's ASP.Net designer.

• Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

OK, I see.  If that's what they are going to do (which makes sense) I'll be interested to see how it is reflected in their pricing-- will they go with the around $400 range like Dreamweaver or sell it for cheaper?  Questions, questions....

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.