Coffeehouse Thread

38 posts

PDC05 Videos

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Ernie Booth

Check it out 250 hours of PDC videos http://microsoft.sitestream.com/PDC05/ Cool

• User profile image
    jonathanh

Beer28 wrote:
    BTW, none of these work on firefox on linux, could you please provide download links instead. thx.
    C'mon Beer, you've got a Windows box there. Do it yourself.

• User profile image
    irascian

Beer28 wrote:
    I thought you guys were charging $500 for the dvd's???
    Aren't you going to lose all that revenue now? Or didn't they sell any?

They announced weeks ago (I posted it here at the time) that they would be available online for a period of 6 months for free. Bandwidth isn't free and at the end of the day you decide whether the time and bandwidth you're going to spend downloading gigabytes worth of material is worth $500. Makes sense to me.

• User profile image
    keeron

Microsoft is not about selling the 500$ DVDs Smiley Putting up the content for free is good and most people will probably download few slides and demos, but in the end having a media (the 3-dvd set) is better if you are going to heavily use the labs, videos, presentations.

on other note, the Hands-On-Labs are also made available now ... Tim Sneath posted all the latest links (Avalon, Workflow, Atlas, LinQ, etc). hopefully they'll have others up as welll (I saw some Vista ones but don't know the links now... I have them downloaded though).

http://blogs.msdn.com/tims/archive/2005/10/24/484495.aspx

- Keeron

• User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

jonathanh wrote:
    Beer28 wrote: BTW, none of these work on firefox on linux, could you please provide download links instead. thx.
    C'mon Beer, you've got a Windows box there. Do it yourself.

ZOMG! Jonathanh I love you...

Beer28, quit expecting everyone to kiss your rear because you ask for it. Deal with the incompatibility...remember you chose it.

Note: Johnathanh I know that isn't exactlly what you meant but thank you for saying what you did.

• User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

BTW: 9 MB/s down connection with no cap here...if one of the MS employees clears it I'll be more than willing to download and burn to DVD for the people here on dial up.

• User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

Ernie or Jonathanh,

Can you guys provide one huge download link? It's kinda getting annoying to download, move to the next one, download again, move, download, move...etc

• User profile image
    Devils​Rejection

This doesn't work in firefox, and John while I respect you, and hate Beer, you have to respect that there are other browsers on the market. You guys at microsoft should take a lesson from the XBOX 360 team which wants to play correctly with both apple and sony produsts to let consumers enjoy their media everywhere.

• User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

DevilsRejection wrote:
    This doesn't work in firefox, and John while I respect you, and hate Beer, you have to respect that there are other browsers on the market.

No he doesn't Tongue Out

Use IE Big Smile

• User profile image
    Detroit Muscle

Wouldn't bittorrent be a better solution to host these videos? That would avoid browser incomptibilites and in theory cheapen the cost of hosting.

• User profile image
    keeron

Because there's just so much content to download (and everything is exciting!), I did this:

1. Use file-save for the webpage and its files
    2. Modified the html/xml schema a bit so that I can render the xml (the listing of session is xml if you didnt figure it out by now) locally on my hdd.
    3. Using flashget (download manager) to download the ppts instead of IE (limit of #of downloads at a time).

Hopefully the content is not more than 3 DVDs, or else i'll need another HDD Smiley

Where's the torrent files when you need it! Ah, next year I see myself using P2P in Vista for all these things Wink

• User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

If someone does let me know...I'll be downloading everything there.

• User profile image
    jmazner

Hi all, glad to see the interest in the videos.

re: FireFox: this is news to me, I will ask our vendor to look into it (we didn't develop any of the HTML in house)

re bulk downloads:  The default package for MS events has been to put up videos for streaming, and then make the DVD available for those who want to watch offline.  I can look into why that's the case and whether we can support making the video files available for download.

re cost: in the past, we have charged attendees for ordering the post-show DVD.  The PDC planning team talked about it this year, and decided to make the DVD set available for free to all attendees.  Non-attendees are able to buy a copy if they wish.

cheers,
    jeremy
    (pdc 05 content owner guy)

• User profile image
    Erisan

jonathanh wrote:
    ... you've got a Windows box there. Do it yourself.

I'm pretty worried about this attitude. Is MS pushing their own "for Windows only"
    technologies for web-developing? Like XAML/Avalon.

Detroit Muscle wrote:

Wouldn't bittorrent be a better solution to host these videos? That would avoid browser incomptibilites and in theory cheapen the cost of hosting.

Agreed. Using BT is excellent great idea ...
    But I'm pretty sure that it isn't going to happen Sad

• User profile image
    Minh

Here's the XML database for the sessions

http://microsoft.sitestream.com/PDC05/images/Sessions.xml

and one of its row looks like this:

<row>
      <Code>ARCSYM01</Code>
      <Title>
        Architecture Symposium: Connected Business, Connected Systems
      </Title>
      <Speakers>Harry Pierson; Mike Burner; Brenton Webster</Speakers>
      <Track>SYM</Track>
      <Description>
    You’ve had a tantalizing week of cool technology, but now you need to transition back to your real job: making all of the pieces work together. The PDC Architecture Symposium will zoom you through the solutions lifecycle - from requirements to modeling to requirements to iterative development to requirements to operational feedback (which you might look at as another set of requirements) - showing you how traditional best practices and recent innovations can be used together to build robust solutions that accelerate business value creation. Topics include:
      </Description>
      <PPTDeck>ARCSYM01_Pierson.ppt</PPTDeck>
      <Materials/>
      <Disk>DVD 4</Disk>
    </row>

Somebody could write an auto downloader based on this & have the 4 DVDs downloaded without much trouble (though with much bandwidth).

• User profile image
    jonathanh

Erisan wrote:
    jonathanh wrote: ... you've got a Windows box there. Do it yourself.
    I'm pretty worried about this attitude. Is MS pushing their own "for Windows only" technologies for web-developing? Like XAML/Avalon.
    I was giving back to Beer some of the attitude that he so frequently hands out around here.

• User profile image
    Erisan

jonathanh wrote:
    I was giving back to Beer some of the attitude that he so frequently hands out around here.

Ah ok, sorry my English is really bad and I don't always understand posts
    100% which usually leads to stupid replies.

Hmm, actually I'll ask the question again. Should I be worried that maybe
    after few years there are more and more web pages which are using tech.
    like XAML/Avalon ..? I think those can be used in web pages too, but are
    there any intension encourage to use them .. ?

• User profile image
    billh

What about using Wine, Beer? Didn't they just come out with version 0.9?

Beer28 wrote:
    PS- I'm now trashing my microsoft MN-700 router.

Can we get some footage of that? Are you using a ball peen hammer or the subtle art of recursion?

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.