Coffeehouse Thread

4 posts

List: small things to add to Longhorn

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    brian.​shapiro

I wanted to start a thread where people can post their ideas of small things to be added to Longhorn; Microsoft is focusing on the big picture so I think input from users will be helpful for adding small features that will make Windows more pleasant to use. I want to start with a list of some of my ideas here; though I've already mentioned many of these already to Microsoft on places like the Longhorn newsgroups.

* Add in the capability to have keystroke combinations for accented characters, like ctrl-e-' for é, like in the character map in Microsoft Word, or in MacOS. Porting Word's character map utility to Windows should be enough. Maybe also port office's clipboard utility to Windows.

* Put a volume control on the Windows logon screen, so you can turn off the volume before the Windows startup sound plays, in case the user needs to start up his computer in quiet as in a library or when others are asleep.

* Have numpad keys as pgdown, pgup, end, etc. and find as you type effective in menus, so navigating menus such as the favorites menu is a lot easier using keyboard only.

* Have an option to route pop-up Windows to notifications and also have an advanced pop-up filter; the reason pop-ups are so bad is because they are obnoxious, notifications, which you can just let disappear are a non-intrusive solution.

* Add an easy way to edit metadata from file to file in explorer and an easy way to edit metadata when saving files in the save as dialog; a good solution might be to have the properties appear in a sidepanel like in Office's Picture Manager.

• User profile image
    infrared

All my aggravations spill out!

Ablility to log people out of the welcome screen!

New folder button on toolbar

Autoscroll in windows explorer, like IE, to save my poor fingers

• User profile image
    marun

Enhancements to the standard treeview control to allow

a) User specified markers (such as mark as important, flagged, colored etc.. In explorer I will be able to color a group of folders like I want)
    b) Multiple selection (select multiple directories in explorer treeview)
    c) Just as typing the first character of a filename jumps to that file in the Listview in explorer, if I sort by filetype and have the option to show file extensions typing the first character of the extension should jump to that group of files.
    d) Alphabetical or filetype grouping: In the listview in explorer a small space of 1 or 2 lines can be left when user chooses an option to group by say alphabets or filetype, so all .doc files are grouped and clearly visible and different from all .txt files.
    e) Sticky select - Pressing say Alt-S toggles sticky select and I dont have to keep Ctrl pressed to select multiple files.
    d) Multithreaded file copy / move .. Explorer chokes on more than one copy/move operation going on simultaneously. Ability to initiate and monitor via a progress bar that allows multiple stuff at once, something like this:
    Named operation operation description Progress bar
    Oper1 Copy     From C:\test1 to E:\test3 2.9 MB 100 files 50%
    Oper2 Move     From F:\WLSR to J:\NOC 3.2 GB 245 files 23%
    e) If say 50 files are being copied over 45 files I get a prompt Are you sure you want to overwrite x.x? Yes No Yes to all Cancel. Why isnt there a No to All option. If I dont want to overwrite any file, just append the files that dont already exist, if even 20 files are the same name in both sets I have to answer 20 dialog boxes, has some UI person looked at this long standing issue since 98?
    f) Ability to label a group of files like gmail. This will allow a group of files in different directories manipulable as a single unit under same label.
    g) Stackable file operations, ability to add n number of file operations before actually launching the whole batch.
    h) Stacked clipboard or queued clipboard (users choice)
    i) Swift file/folder match by typing the first few characters of the file/folder name currently only the first character of the filename works in this way.
    j) After a file search is performed the Folders window disappears in Explorer. It is supposed to stay open (windows xp)

• User profile image
    curobosqui

marun wrote:

e) If say 50 files are being copied over 45 files I get a prompt Are you sure you want to overwrite x.x? Yes No Yes to all Cancel. Why isnt there a No to All option. If I dont want to overwrite any file, just append the files that dont already exist, if even 20 files are the same name in both sets I have to answer 20 dialog boxes, has some UI person looked at this long standing issue since 98?

If you keep the SHIFT key pressed when clicking "No" it's like a "No to all."

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.