Coffeehouse Thread

57 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Is today the day for VS2005 on MSDN?: Part 2

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Compiled​Monkey

Inspired by yesterday's thread, hopefully today is the day. Wink

• User profile image
    nosajis

Man K hope so. Does anyone know of a good site that compares the versions? Does standard have the Class Designer?

• User profile image
    Compiled​Monkey
  • User profile image
    Deactivated User

Comment removed at user's request.

• User profile image
    Compiled​Monkey

WTF

This is starting to get annoying.  I wish they wouldn't have said anything to start, no 10/14, no nothing.  When official Microsoft people begin to tell us hopeful dates for anything, people start to plan around those days because you would expect them to have a clue for when the product will be available.  Then it turns out we might be looking at 3 weeks after the original plan to release RTM on 10/14.  I know it's all hopeful targets, etc, but say nothing at all if your target date is as subject to change as we've seen over the past 2 weeks.

• User profile image
    lethalbyte

I agree with CompiledMonkey.

I'm irritated now.  Microsoft - please throw us a bone guys.  We're incredibly interested in the release... it's not that we need the RTM today or tomorrow, or next week.  We just like news!  We've been following the project for a long long time, and now we can smell it.  But we havent heard anything about whats going on.  I vote we get a running  update, good, bad or whatever!

News please? Big Smile

• User profile image
    Deactivated User

• User profile image
    Deactivated User

• User profile image
    ZippyV

Zeo wrote:
    that Ascend and TAP customers ...

Who are they?

• User profile image
    Deactivated User

• User profile image
    nosajis

Anyone want to wager a guess as to how many servers are in the farm that we are waiting for replication on? Just curious. Anyway, thanks far the news:B

• User profile image
    StefanB

I'll wager 200-300 globally.

• User profile image
    rhm

I don't know about you guys, but I'm still getting good work done with VS2003. Not that I'm not excited about VS2005, I've been waiting for generics since before 2003, but because it's been so long coming my product is nearly done in .NET1.1 and that'll probably have to be supported for at least a year, so interest in 2005 is largely accademic for now.

• User profile image
    Compiled​Monkey

Of course, everything I do is productive and in VS.NET 2003, therefore I'm getting productive work done in VS.NET 2003. Smiley

My interest is for upcoming projects.  I just had 5 new projects, all very similar, come through and I would have loved to get them on the 2.0 framework.  Not because of 2.0 language enhancements, but for future maintenence.  In a few months I expected to be in 2.0 land for everything, but now I'll have to keep 1.1 around to support these new projects.  With the recent events over the past 2 weeks, my 2.0 fun, related to work at least, won't begin until early next year probably.

• User profile image
    cokert

Will you be able to run VS2005 and VS2003 side by side?

• User profile image
    dahat

cokert wrote:
    Will you be able to run VS2005 and VS2003 side by side?

Yes.

The really nice thing is that rather than claim all common extensions for itself, it (2005) associates them with an intermediate program that tells you (via the icons) if projects and solutions are built in 7.0, 7.0 or 8, and will attempt to open them with the appropriate environment if it exists, otherwise it will just open it in 8 and guide you through converting the project.

• User profile image
    lethalbyte

Any more news or gossip surrounding the release?  Anyone?

• User profile image
    Karim

At last report, the Visual Studio dev team was being told to "bear down and PUSH," and Bill Gates was seen nervously pacing in the waiting room.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.