Coffeehouse Thread

10 posts

Book Suggestion

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Keskos

I am going to make a book purchase these days. I am looking for buying a kick *, amazingly wonderful book which can help me on the long run, that is I would like to keep the book around.

I am looking forward for your suggestions. In general the book can be about anything, but I am looking for something technical. It can be about open source etc... though I am more interested in Microsoft technologies. I am a foreigner when it comes to Windows development, thus I expect really useful suggestions from you guys regarding Microsoft technologies.

I am expecting some suggestions along with insight into why those books. For example, sharepoint is an interesting technology, thus suggesting a great book about it would be nice, but I also expect some insight into why the sharepoint will matter in the future. For example, if there is any book about Longhorn programming that you think is great, that would be also nice. However in general you can throw any book suggestion here.

Thanks

• User profile image
    ryand

These books don't talk about any specific technology, but great nonetheless:

Patterns of Enterprise Application Architecture, Martin Fowler

Refactoring, Martin Fowler

Rapid Development, Steve McConnell

Code Complete, Steve McConnell

Writing Solid Code, Steve Maguire

Clouds to Code, Jesse Liberty

On MS technology topics, Windows Forms Programming in C# by Chris Sells is supposed to be very good (although I have not read it for myself).

If you need to know about COM - Effective COM and Essential COM by Don Box are good. 

If you need to know about .NET guts - Essential .NET, Volume 1 by Don Box.

• User profile image
    Keskos

Do I need to learn COM if I want to become a windows programmer? If the future is .net, does COM still matter? I am just curious cause one thing I don't know anything about is this COM stuff.

• User profile image
    Jeremy W

COM still matters, even if only conceptually. You will still run into lots of things where you'll need to write COM wrappers and so on. Not all the time, but it's common enough to matter.

COM won't "die" for at least another decade.

• User profile image
    leerpm

COM is going to be around for some time to come. So while it will be useful to know it, a high level understanding of what it does is probably all you need. 

You'll probably be much better off as a developer, if you concentrate your time on learning .Net and its associated technologies.

• User profile image
    jsrfc58

C Primer Plus - Stephen Prata; very thorough introduction to C with a lot of examples and reference pages that will come in useful at a later date...still seems to be one of the better C books out there (he has a C++ version, too). It does not address .NET issues, however.

• User profile image
    Jaz

what about step by step guides?

• User profile image
    Manip

What about

"Cognitive Behavior Therapy of DSM-IV Personality Disorders: Highly Effective Interventions for the Most Common Personality Disorders" by Len Sperry
    (You can get it on Amazon)

Keskos, seems right up your street.

• User profile image
    GooberDLX

ryand wrote:
    These books don't talk about any specific technology, but great nonetheless:

Patterns of Enterprise Application Architecture, Martin Fowler

Refactoring, Martin Fowler

Rapid Development, Steve McConnell

Code Complete, Steve McConnell

Writing Solid Code, Steve Maguire

Clouds to Code, Jesse Liberty

On MS technology topics, Windows Forms Programming in C# by Chris Sells is supposed to be very good (although I have not read it for myself).

If you need to know about COM - Effective COM and Essential COM by Don Box are good. 

If you need to know about .NET guts - Essential .NET, Volume 1 by Don Box.

I agree with all of these book selections.. and I HAVE read Chris Sell's book! Excellent!

Might I add a simple algorithms/data structures book.. I have a few, but just about any algo/ds book contains the same content..

Jake

• User profile image
    object88

Keskos wrote:
    In general the book can be about anything, but I am looking for something technical. ... I am expecting some suggestions along with insight into why those books.

I don't think this is what you're looking for but...

The best book I've read in a very long time is The Ultimate Tone, by Kevin O'Connor.  It's a highly technical look at vaccuum tube power audio amplifiers.  The cottage guitar amp industry is growing, as players look to expand their sound away from the "typical" Fenders, Marshalls, and Mesas, and are willing to pay for it.  This book will give you clear insight as to what makes a great tube amp, and even delves into amp modification (so you can turn'em up to 11, mate!).  Later books in the series get more detailed, but this is the place to start.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.