Coffeehouse Thread

5 posts

VS and SQL 2005 installed in a Virtural PC

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    nbknxf2

I'm downloading VS, SQL, and Visio 2005 RTM.  Has anyone installed these in a virtural pc?  How is performance?

Also, can these be installed along side of VS 2003 and SQL 2000?

Thanks!

• User profile image
    Devils​Rejection

Personally I like VMWare better, but to each his own.

Everytime people come over I let them use my Windows XP VM in fullscreen mode and they can't even tell that it's a VM.

Hell sometimes I can't tell its a VM!

Then again a dual core processor and 2 GB of ram helps... a lot!

• User profile image
    Tommy Lee

nbknxf2 wrote:
    I'm downloading VS, SQL, and Visio 2005 RTM.  Has anyone installed these in a virtural pc?  How is performance?

Also, can these be installed along side of VS 2003 and SQL 2000?

Thanks!

During our early adoption program around VS (I was specific to ASP.NET), we had many customers who were doing just that and the performance was pretty good if the machine was competent.  They would do all their development in the VPC.

The biggest gotcha around perf appears to be hard disk speed.  If you get a good disk, your perf will be fine.

Not sure on SQL Server, but VS2003 and VS2005 can co-exist together.

• User profile image
    out180

Agreeded, I do near 100% of my development in a VM (Vmware specifically).

Of course, like Devils, I'm sitting on a 3GHz Dual Core w/ 4 GB of ram.  Big Smile 

HD speed obviously has a part in perf but I run ALL of my images off of a USB2 connected Maxtor external HD for portability.  You just can't beat taking your work home and getting to use the exactly same dev environment.  Even being external my images run perfectly.

IMO, there's nothing like development in a VM, especially if you do contract work.  Build a VM, write your code, then deliver.  New project, new VM.  You never have to worry about your development environment changing.  You can always go back to the image you last built the code on and everything will be exactly as you left it.  It's the only way to code.  Cool

• User profile image
    Devils​Rejection

you know.... i just had an appifany.

with people having so many machines, th futre of computing is having a little pen drive, or hard drive. make a standard interface so you can interchange the drives on any machines. now your "enviroment" can be taken with you no matter where you are.

a cyber cafe would just be another place to plug in your drive, your house, your laptop, all standards based connectivity.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.