Coffeehouse Thread

31 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

C9 needs more indepth technical videos...

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    CRPietschma​nn

I think C9 needs more indepth technical videos. More videos on Programming, low level windows components, etc. It would also be cool if a new video were released every day.

9er's please post your comments to this thread so the guys at C9 know how we feel.

• User profile image
    IRenderable

They don't need one everyday, that is a lot of work. For awhile I think they where going 3-4 a day. I agree with more technical content thouh, less PMs more devs!

• User profile image
    Tommy Lee

Could the screencasts be an avenue for this?  The screencasts allow you to get deep into code and the presenters could dive deeper into the why and how.

• User profile image
    Devils​Rejection

What I think makes C9 so appealing is that the videos can be understood by anyone.

Some of the videos are a little bit more hard core, but in general they are all on the same wavelength.

People like to watch demos. Code is nice, explaining what's going on is nice, but in the end we just want to see applications and demos being run.

• User profile image
    billh

Carnac: Going deep.
    McMahon: Going deep.
    Carnac: [tears open envelope] What's Charles will say when he sees this thread.

• User profile image
    androidi

I'd also like if Charles were able to do more of the interview talking. Get a cheap camera guy and let C do the interview. Scoble is probably too expensive for just holding the camera now. Certainly you can find some media students who know how to use a cam and will do it for food Wink I don't know about US, but these types are all over here since the system really pushed out media students in recent years.

It'd great too if the interviewee for those indepth videos were fluent in their way of talking even indepth subject, otherwise what would be a tight 25-30 mins may turn into a slow hour like some of the earlier going deep videos were.

BTW. Were I the only one amused about Scoble asking "what is"...."frame rate"..."endianess".. I understand some terms have to be explained but given this is still in MSDN domain I found that all but funny to have a game developer explain so basic things when you could have had opportunity to ask about Xbox 360 optimization techniques and whatever a TON more interesting stuff.  

• User profile image
    androidi

DevilsRejection wrote:
    People like to watch demos. Code is nice, explaining what's going on is nice, but in the end we just want to see applications and demos being run.

Demos of course get attention since you can see by looking the video thumbnail that there's some demo of pre-release stuff.

However in my opinion best videos have two or more people who have good knowledge in what they talk about and don't stop at thinking about the minor details too much since this video interview isn't same as reading a book or documentation.

Robert really tried coming up with technical questions in the latest videos but I don't think he has enough time as it is to research the subject matters of every MS tech subject that comes across to keep anything but basic "indepth" talk going on in an interview situation.

MSR stuff has been generally really good...

• User profile image
    Charles

I am reviving the Going Deep series and you'll be seeing more devs and architects talking about how they design and implement our core technologies like Vista, for example. In the next few months you will be seeing an interview with the VP of the Vista kernel team and 3 of his architects talking about what's new in Vista.

The plan for Going Deep 2005 (Smiley) is to walk the stack, starting with what a technology accomplishes from a user perspective then diving deep into how it accomplishes it.

Another Going Deep 2005 interview that is coming up soon is a talk with the development lead of Vista's transactional file system. Please stay tuned.

This year I am fully committed to doing many more interviews (in fact I am responsible for designing the content strategy for Channel 9 this year), mainly of the technical variety, exploring the core technologies that both drive and create our innovation.

C

• User profile image
    Steve411

"I reckon it does!"
    - The Beverly Hillbillies

- Steve

• User profile image
    Devils​Rejection

Charles wrote:

I am reviving the Going Deep series and you'll be seeing more devs and architects talking about how they design and implement our core technologies like Vista, for example. In the next few months you will be seeing an interview with the VP of the Vista kernel team and 3 of his architects talking about what's new in Vista.

The plan for Going Deep 2005 () is to walk the stack, starting with what a technology accomplishes from a user perspective then diving deep into how it accomplishes it.

Another Going Deep 2005 interview that is coming up soon is a talk with the development lead of Vista's transactional file system. Please stay tuned.

This year I am fully committed to doing many more interviews (in fact I am responsible for designing the content strategy for Channel 9 this year), mainly of the technical variety, exploring the core technologies that both drive and create our innovation.

C

there is suddenly less room in my pants!

• User profile image
    irascian

CRPietschmann wrote:
    I think C9 needs more indepth technical videos. More videos on Programming, low level windows components, etc. It would also be cool if a new video were released every day.

9er's please post your comments to this thread so the guys at C9 know how we feel.

I disagree. There are a gazillion new webcasts in these areas, seemingly every day. If you want "in depth technical videos" go watch those. I think C9 videos are fine the way they are and the frequency they are.

• User profile image
    Charles

The addition of new types of video interview formats/concepts will in no way impact the Scoble Series of videos. What's wrong with more variety, irascian?

C

• User profile image
    irascian

I'm not against variety but if I want that I have a ton of other resources to go to. serverside.net the .net show, MSDN TV and then all those webcasts. There are not enough physical hours in a day to view all the "educational" material being put out there on the web. And that's without even counting podcasts.

Separating what to spend time on is getting harder and harder. Even a very targetted show like Dot Net Rocks goes off the rails frequently, not recognising how to best use the medium it has to make good use of its listeners time.

Channel 9 has quite a niche - it's a mixture of "get to know the people", "get to know some futures stuff" and "learn some cool things you might not have picked up otherwise". The poorest videos are those that waver around a screen trying to show us code - it doesn't work.

My concern is that you risk over-egging the cake (or whatever the danged expression is). Put too many videos up that are too long and people won't just adjust what they watch to fit the time they have they'll just watch nothing and move on.

Probably my favourite video was the "Sparkle" one because it was a mixture of all the things I like about Channel 9 (and have mentioned above) and something I don't get from any other outlet. Mess with the formula, try and be "all things to all men" or a "code training camp" or "deep internals" videos and I just can't see it working.

• User profile image
    Charles

Interesting. Thanks for feedback. I would argue, however, that if you are not interested in a C9 video exploring the intracacies of, say, how Vista window transparency works, well, then don't watch it. As I mentioned, we are adding to, not subtracting from, our content on Channel 9. We want to provide you with even more great stuff this year, not less. You always have a choice. Tagging makes it easy for you to watch content that you are most interested in. It also makes it easy for us to bring you a wider variety of great stuff that we can categorize into meaningful groups (or "shows"/"series").

At any rate, we won't mess with what works, will just do other things in addition to it. I see nothing wrong with this.

C

• User profile image
    Manip

Charles, don't underestimate the discussion of fundamental programming concepts for a video... I mean even things like linked lists, sorting/search, stacks, [the] heap, etc.

The great thing about doing fundamental programming videos is you can grab any old developer to talk about them (assuming they can talk good english and use a whiteboard). And would have wide appeal. Smiley

Then you can move on to pointers, and more advanced, or obscure stuff... That has *nothing* to do with Windows Vista but are just fun to watch.

• User profile image
    jamie

i like scobles "tech" style... like in the sparkle video

he went over and over so called simple stuff..

"..so thats cool - now what to i do to make this appear on a regular web page"

" so how did you do that again ..(zooms in)"

"so after its saved what does it open in etc

to many - very dumb questions - to me - PERFECT questions ( ie - so when i open this app - what can i do right away to play with it

• User profile image
    Devils​Rejection

Charles wrote:
    Interesting. Thanks for feedback. I would argue, however, that if you are not interested in a C9 video exploring the intracacies of, say, how Vista window transparency works, well, then don't watch it. As I mentioned, we are adding to, not subtracting from, our content on Channel 9. We want to provide you with even more great stuff this year, not less. You always have a choice. Tagging makes it easy for you to watch content that you are most interested in. It also makes it easy for us to bring you a wider variety of great stuff that we can categorize into meaningful groups (or "shows"/"series").

At any rate, we won't mess with what works, will just do other things in addition to it. I see nothing wrong with this.

C

Well I welcome more technical videos, just as long as the style doesn't make it seem boring. Content is gold, the hardest part is trying to deliver it in a way that has mass apeal. Sure how windos transperency works may not be something average jor cares about, but make the video in a style that if he were to watch the video he would be going "wow i wonder how everything else works!!"

it's like being in school, and picking a class, it's all the same content, but everyone goes for the KICK A** teacher.

hope this helps charles, i can't wait to go deep into vista!

• User profile image
    AndyC

The previous "Going Deep" videos have been my favourites so far, so I definately don't have a problem with more of them! Sure if there are more videos you can't always watch them all, but isn't that what the new clip feature is for?

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.