Coffeehouse Thread

5 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Wifi - in remote areas

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Nata1

ok I'm a n00b -

Lets just say I were fly fishing in Saskatchewan  - how would I be able to hook up to my server?  i.e. hit the internet?  Would I need some sore of satelite equipment? Tongue Out

• User profile image
    PerfectPhase

I would say your best chances are...

Mobile Satellite
    GPRS via a cell network
    Wait a few years an hope someone installs a WiMax node.

Stephen

• User profile image
    eagle

I was at SatCon this past week and Hughes Network has a $35,000 solution to your problem...

You can always find a phone-line and use dial-up. If you  had two computers you could have one sitting on the dock, connected to a phone-line and a Wi-Fi router so you could be out on the lake fishing and surfing.

Though you cannot get EVDO connectivity out in the wilds, your Mobile carrier should offer some sort of access depending on the phone you have.

• User profile image
    Angus

I assume that the computer you wish to access the internet on is a laptop. If it is InfraRed enabled, and you have an InfraRed phone, and you can get a signal, you could just use the phone as a modem, it would be dial-up I think, but nevertherless, a connection. If it is not a laptop, most smartphones and other devices can do this.

Angus Higgins

• User profile image
    Karim

I would say you're not fly fishing enough.  Expressionless

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.