Coffeehouse Thread

12 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

TV building to Building

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Jaz

Hey all  

My boss has a crazy plan, we want to take a television feed in one bilding from an aerial, stick it into a magical blackbox that then pipes the feed over to another building via ethernet where it's then put into a TV card and we can record/alter do what we wish with the feed.  would anyone know if such magical black boxes exist or if my boss has just been day dreaming again.

• User profile image
    Shiv

i dont quite get  the idea clearly .the video is in the ethernet,then  why do we need a tv card on the other building and since its on the ethernet u can get wm recorder that has a feature that moniters the network adapters and as soon as it detects the stream it will start recording or u can so it manually 

• User profile image
    Jaz

theres a TV aerial on top of the building so we get it down the aerial and pipe it through to the other building,  ermm i'm not quite sure how why what

• User profile image
    wavesmash

Try orb?  www.orb.com

• User profile image
    IanD

Why not have the PC with a TV card in the first building then move the recorded TV over the network?

• User profile image
    Jaz

heh ianD, that was the original plan then my boss suggested this, i just get the feeling he doesn't want to monitor the PC and kit from accross the road instead have it all in our server room and monitor from there, except the building we're in can't have an aerial.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Jaz wrote:
    My boss has a crazy plan, we want to take a television feed in one bilding from an aerial, stick it into a magical blackbox that then pipes the feed over to another building via ethernet

Good luck with that, the Ethenet specification has a maximum of 10mbps, thats far from enough for TV.

Unless you've got a Fast Ethernet, which is 100mbps, which might be fast enough for a single channel, but that leave no room for more important things.

Then there's Gigabit Ethernet, but lets not go down there.

Why can't you simply run a coax-cable between the two buildings or digitize the analogue input (and encode/compress it)?

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Jaz wrote:
    heh ianD, that was the original plan then my boss suggested this, i just get the feeling he doesn't want to monitor the PC and kit from accross the road instead have it all in our server room and monitor from there, except the building we're in can't have an aerial.

Get one of those "Ethernet Webcams" then

• User profile image
    PerfectPhase

Jaz wrote:
    Hey all  

My boss has a crazy plan, we want to take a television feed in one bilding from an aerial, stick it into a magical blackbox that then pipes the feed over to another building via ethernet where it's then put into a TV card and we can record/alter do what we wish with the feed.  would anyone know if such magical black boxes exist or if my boss has just been day dreaming again.

How many channels, are you intreasted in? Just the one or does he want to be able to tune the TV card in the PC to any channel?

Stephen.

• User profile image
    Jaz

well we might be changing our plans and we have access to fibre channel and gigabit ether so tbh i think we have enough bandwith.

http://www.trimedia.co.uk/product.asp?id=204 we might be looking at this solution instead.

basically we're a library for a uni and we need to record tv for our various uni staff.  it's likely we might be doing 6 recordings a night, some overlapping each other.  so we plan on having a box with 6 tuners in there so we can record all the TV we want in one night,

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Jaz wrote:
    so we plan on having a box with 6 tuners in there so we can record all the TV we want in one night

What about multichannel services, like Sky?

• User profile image
    trickster92

Here's what you will need to know to build your own encoding station.

Here is a list of Encoding Appliances you could also use.

You could also create your own "video library" and use Windows Media Services to stream the recordings across the network.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.