Coffeehouse Thread

17 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Sony to patch copy protected CD...

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Steven J Ackerman

Too little too late. They need to face a class action lawsuit for damaging people's computers. A lot of individuals and companies writing and distributing viri and spyware are going to jail for essentially doing the same thing as Sony.

• User profile image
    Cairo

While we're sharpening the pitchforks and lighting the torches, perhaps someone could indict Sony et al under the RICO Act.

• User profile image
    Cairo
  • User profile image
    DoomBringer

Cairo wrote:
    While we're sharpening the pitchforks and lighting the torches, perhaps someone could indict Sony et al under the RICO Act.

lol, does anyone have the "We're not going to take it anymore" song?

• User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

I mean why should anyone be stopping this?

From Security Focus

"World of Warcraft hackers have confirmed that the hiding capabilities of Sony BMG's content protection software can make tools made for cheating in the online world impossible to detect."

• User profile image
    JChung2006

Heh, this Sony story just keeps getting better and better.

• User profile image
    Heywood_J

JChung2006 wrote:
    Heh, this Sony story just keeps getting better and better.

Use Sony's own DRM to by-pass it's DRM:

• User profile image
    Manip

Luckily once Vista is released we won't have these problems; because firstly all root level code has to be digitally signed by Microsoft and secondly you are able to run as a non-admin and still have most of your software work (unlike today in which half the home consumer software crashes and burns under a normal user).

For Sony to do this in the future firstly they would have to get Microsoft to check their code to make sure they aren't hooking the systems function tables (which they currently are) and secondly they would have to ask the user to enter the admin username and password. Smiley

• User profile image
    dahat

Manip wrote:
    Luckily once Vista is released we won't have these problems; because firstly all root level code has to be digitally signed by Microsoft...

Root level or kernel level? Also, any chance you’ve got any references on that? I ask because that is news to me.

• User profile image
    Manip

dahat wrote:
    Root level or kernel level? Also, any chance you’ve got any references on that? I ask because that is news to me.

Root as in root kit, so kernel level... Root = Kernel (On Windows). Root = Admin (On *NIX). Root User = Admin (On Both).

Yes, I do confuse myself sometimes... Tongue Out

I think I heard that little tidbit on one of the PDC presentations.

• User profile image
    Detroit Muscle

Manip wrote:

Luckily once Vista is released we won't have these problems; because firstly all root level code has to be digitally signed by Microsoft

If you think MS wont sign Sony's DRM rootkit, then I have a bridge to sell you.

Manip wrote:

you are able to run as a non-admin and still have most of your software work (unlike today in which half the home consumer software crashes and burns under a normal user).

MS has been making that promise since NT 3.51.

• User profile image
    Manip

Detroit Muscle wrote:
    Manip wrote:

Luckily once Vista is released we won't have these problems; because firstly all root level code has to be digitally signed by Microsoft

If you think MS wont sign Sony's DRM rootkit, then I have a bridge to sell you.

MS won't sign a root kit, Sony's root kit hooks into the kernel and makes the system unstable. They don't sign drivers unless you code to some Microsoft validation rules or something...

Detroit Muscle wrote:

Manip wrote:

you are able to run as a non-admin and still have most of your software work (unlike today in which half the home consumer software crashes and burns under a normal user).

MS has been making that promise since NT 3.51.

No they haven't.

• User profile image
    Karim

Microsoft will wipe the evil Sony rootkit in the next version of the Malicious Software Removal Tool as well as Windows Defender!!! Big Smile

http://news.com.com/2100-1002_3-5949041.html

http://blogs.technet.com/antimalware/archive/2005/11/12/414299.aspx

(via memeorandum)

And lo, the evil was purged from the land...

• User profile image
    jonathanh

Now, Detroit Muscle, about that bridge you're selling...

• User profile image
    ZippyV

jonathanh wrote:
    Now, Detroit Muscle, about that bridge you're selling...

Put it between Europe and the USA.

• User profile image
    dahat

Karim wrote:
    And lo, the evil was purged from the land...

In time, the evil expelled from the land became angered, and was changed by it’s minions in darkness... only to come back in many new forms, each harder to detect than the first... and there was much pain, suffering and lawsuits against the evil’s initial creator in the name of causing all of these problems in the beginning through their paranoia.

• User profile image
    DoomBringer

Beer28 wrote:
    http://blogs.washingtonpost.com/securityfix/2005/11/sony_exec_warne.html

Fast-forward to Nov. 4, 2005, when Thomas Hesse, president of Sony's Global Digital Business was interviewed on National Public Radio's Morning Edition, and said of complaints that Sony's anti-piracy software behaved exactly like a rootkit:

"Most people, I think, don’t even know what a rootkit is, so why should they care about it?"
    ##################################

Hey, as long as they stay away from linux, go4it, why should windows users care about a rootkit? Go Sony. As long as they don't touch linux or mess with my PSP, I'm completely indifferent.

Ah yes.  The same rationale used by thousands when they saw their neighbors being shipped off to the concentration camps.  It isn't me, so who cares? 

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.