Coffeehouse Thread

83 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Linux viable alternative to Windows?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Lee_Dale

I think not!

Now ive been using Linux for a while now, i have a dual boot system with a recently upgraded version of Suse 10 + KDE 3.4 and Windows XP Media Centre.

Now in terms of ease of installation Suse 10 is probably the best disto ive used but it in now way compares to the ease of installation of Windows XP.

I have a laptop with a fairly new intel graphics card (915 chipset) and a centrino processor. With Suse 9.1 my graphics card wansnt recognised at all and this is where Linux will fall down with your average desktop user.  Upgrading or installing drivers + software is no where near as easy as Windows.  So i have to download Suse 10 great my Card is now detected and setup for my 1200x800 widescreen but will my wireless work? no i have to find a firmware driver upgrade just to get that working.  Now compare this with installing windows everthing just worked!

How easy is it to install and configure new sofware with Linux and how much software is supported?

Also KDE 3.4 runs kinda sluggish on my 1.83 pentium M with 512mb ram compared to lightning fast windows.

I just couldnt see why any company would swap windows for linux on the desktop when you weigh up licence costs to maintenance and upgrade headaches.

Saying that though Linux is great for techies and people who know what they are doing and the new suse 10 looks and feels alot more polished with some nice features that windows is yet to implement.

• User profile image
    IRenderable

Linux is a viable alternative for people who like it more then Windows and not for people who like Windows more then Linux. Thats it.

• User profile image
    Lee_Dale

id be interigued to know what people find more appealing about Linux?

• User profile image
    Detroit Muscle

leeappdalecom wrote:

GNOME is easier to use than any UI Windows has.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

leeappdalecom wrote:

Well, for one thing, most default installations of Linux don't patronise the user with rubbermaid-style skins and a crudely-rendered dog called "Rover"

• User profile image
    Maurits

Q: Linux viable alternative to Windows?
    A: For what?  It depends.

I'm tempted to start another thread: Windows viable alternative to Linux? Smiley

• User profile image
    cyber_rigger

leeappdalecom wrote:

For starters

Linux is free

Linux comes with tons of free applications
     http://packages.debian.org/stable/
     (Debian has 17,000+ now)

Most major Linux distros have a nice
     integrated install/unistall/update/patch tool
     like synaptic, yum, yast .etc that INCLUDES your applications.
    http://www.nongnu.org/synaptic/action.html

Some of the latest distros are embarassingly easy to install.

Linux has few viruses, malware.
     You don't need anti-virus software.

You can customize your look and feel better.
      I use gnome desktiop with a customized sawfish window manager.
     With sawfish I can reassign each mouse click and movement.
     For example I can move a window using the bottom or side edge.
     I can type in a window while it is still partially behind
     another window.

I regularly get 100+ day uptimes.

Linux allows for concurrent multiusers.
     This also makes for faster/better user switching.
     Each user's session is still active.

I love the LACK of advertisements in my face.

• User profile image
    billh

Beer28 wrote:
    had he opened the big thick user manual that came with his suse linux 10.0 box, he would have found the answer, but instead he decided to just post that "linux is so hard"

This sounds like the perfect solution for a relative of mine.  He has cataracts.  Just what he needs! A big thick user manual. Big Smile

Now, do they have a large print edition? One that comes with a supporting pedestal to prop it up with?

• User profile image
    JeremyJ

cyber_rigger wrote:

For starters

Linux is free

That would be true if you time was worth nothing. 

• User profile image
    Maurits

JeremyJ wrote:
    cyber_rigger wrote:
    For starters

Linux is free

That would be true if you time was worth nothing.

Both valid points.

Windows costs a variable amount of money.
    Linux costs a variable amount of money, sometimes zero.

Windows takes a certain amount of time to set up/configure/maintain.
    Linux takes a variable amount of time to set up/configure/maintain.

Different flavors of Windows cost different amounts and take different amounts of time.
    Different flavors of Linux cost different amounts and take different amounts of time.

Different flavors of Windows communicate more or less well with other computers.
    Different flavors of Linux communicate more or less well with other computers.

Etc., etc., etc.

• User profile image
    billh

Beer28 wrote:
    Why couldn't he have just googled it, set it up with ndis and gotten on with his life instead of making this post?

That's what most people do. When a driver for a usb scanner no longer worked when I upgrade from win98 to XP for twain (logitech pagescan usb), I didn't go on linux forums complaining about it. I just gave the scanner away. Not that his problem doesn't have a quick 2 minute solution

Perhaps because he got sick of your posts/rants?

If I had as much time as you apparently do, Beer, I sit and blow apart every one of your Linux posts on this board. But geez, I've really got better things to do. It's not like half of your arguments are that deep anyway...most of them are full of uninformed noise.  But you don't need ME to tell you that.

• User profile image
    jonathanh

Beer28 wrote:
    Why couldn't he have just googled it, set it up with ndis and gotten on with his life instead of making this post?

That's what most people do. When a driver for a usb scanner no longer worked when I upgrade from win98 to XP for twain (logitech pagescan usb), I didn't go on linux forums complaining about it. I just gave the scanner away. Not that his problem doesn't have a quick 2 minute solution
    For those following along at home: when Beer needed a printer, he didn't Google ahead of time to see whether it worked with Linux. And when he realised that OMGWTF it didn't follow CUPS, he came right on here to complain about it.

But hey, don't let those nasty little facts get in the way. All you need to know is "Beer is always right, everyone else is always wrong".

• User profile image
    Lee_Dale

what are you going on about ??

where have i asked for help anywhere?

Im very capable of installing drivers software and even developing for the linux platform.

If you read my post properly im reffering to ease of use for avergage joe user. IMO Windows is far easier to install and configure as everything works out of the box.

My point is Linux will never be a threat to Windows in the Desktop arena because not everyone is as clever as the people on this forum.

• User profile image
    PerfectPhase

leeappdalecom wrote:

If you read my post properly im reffering to ease of use for avergage joe user. IMO Windows is far easier to install and configure as everything works out of the box.

leeappdalecom wrote:

I just couldnt see why any company would swap windows for linux on the desktop when you weigh up licence costs to maintenance and upgrade headaches.

This is very different when you look at this from the point of view of a big company with thousands of identical machines, you build the image once and then ghost it (or what ever Linux uses) to all the other machines.  This in effect means you only have the driver headache once and hence that becomes much less of a factor when calculating TCO.  

Stephen.

• User profile image
    billh

I vote to lock this thread.  Beer apparently stopped taking his medication.

• User profile image
    AndyC

No, it's not. i tried Linux but it just let a draft in and i couldn't get curtains to fit. Also i couldn't find an open-source version of Windolene.

• User profile image
    Karim

Beer28 wrote:
    PerfectPhase wrote:

This is very different when you look at this from the point of view of a big company with thousands of identical machines, you build the image once and then ghost it (or what ever Linux uses) to all the other machines.  This in effect means you only have the driver headache once and hence that becomes much less of a factor when calculating TCO.  

Stephen.

That's so true.

I never thought of it that way, but you're right!

When you plug in your printer to your Linux box and can't print, that probably saves you a lot on consumables over the lifetime of the system.  So not being able to print does lower the TCO!

• User profile image
    Cornelius Ellsonpeter

Beer28 wrote:
    PerfectPhase wrote:

Stephen.
    That's so true.

I respectfully disagree, Mr. Beer.  I've seen numerous organizations where a homogenous hardware environment does not exist...therefore this is likely the exception rather than the rule.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.