Coffeehouse Thread

34 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Paris in Flames!

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Cornelius Ellsonpeter

I was supposed to fly to Paris next week...hmmm. I'm reconsidering now.

Sad

Paris Riots

ABC news wrote:
    AULNAY-SOUS-BOIS, France Nov 3, 2005 — Rampaging youths shot at police and firefighters Thursday after burning car dealerships and public buses and hurling rocks at commuter trains, as eight days of riots over poor conditions in Paris-area housing projects spread to 20 towns.

Youths ignored an appeal for calm from President Jacques Chirac, whose government worked feverishly to fend off a political crisis amid criticism that it has ignored problems in neighborhoods heavily populated by first- and second-generation North African and Muslim immigrants.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

They're in the outer suburbs, far away from "The City", I wouldn't get too concerned.

• User profile image
    Rossj

Aulnay-sous-bois is near to CDG airport, so careful as you're passing Smiley

Seriously though probably nothing for you to worry about if you are staying in one of the central arrondissements. 

• User profile image
    Cornelius Ellsonpeter

Whew. Although...

More rioting

News wrote:
    Small, mobile groups of youths hit Paris' riot-shaken suburbs with waves of arson attacks, torching hundreds of cars, as unrest entered its second week Friday and spread to other towns in France.

Overnight in the Paris region, 420 cars were set ablaze, up from previous nights, the Interior Ministry said. It said five police were slightly injured by thrown stones or bottles.

But then I read that car torchings are commonplace in the suburbs.  So, guess I just shouldn't stop at a drive-thru in Aulnay-sous-bois.  Sounds a lot like Washington D.C.

News wrote:
    Car torchings are a daily fact of life in France's tough suburbs, with thousands burned each month, police say. Police intelligence has recorded nearly 70,000 incidents of urban violence this year, including attacks on police and rescue services, arson, throwing projectiles, clashes between gangs, joy-riding and property destruction, Le Monde reported.

• User profile image
    billh

Cornelius Ellsonpeter wrote:

Whew. Although...

More rioting

News wrote: Small, mobile groups of youths hit Paris' riot-shaken suburbs with waves of arson attacks, torching hundreds of cars, as unrest entered its second week Friday and spread to other towns in France.

Overnight in the Paris region, 420 cars were set ablaze, up from previous nights, the Interior Ministry said. It said five police were slightly injured by thrown stones or bottles.

But then I read that car torchings are commonplace in the suburbs.  So, guess I just shouldn't stop at a drive-thru in Aulnay-sous-bois.  Sounds a lot like Washington D.C.

News wrote: Car torchings are a daily fact of life in France's tough suburbs, with thousands burned each month, police say. Police intelligence has recorded nearly 70,000 incidents of urban violence this year, including attacks on police and rescue services, arson, throwing projectiles, clashes between gangs, joy-riding and property destruction, Le Monde reported.

I also read elsewhere that it is "well orchestrated".  Could we be seeing another Kristallknacht? I thought it was weird that the leader of Iran called for Israel to be destroyed right around the time this all started. More:

Disabled Woman Set Ablaze

The Article wrote:
    A handicapped woman was doused with petrol and set on fire by youths during another night of rioting in Paris.

The 56-year-old suffered third degree burns to 20% of her body in the attack.

Witnesses said a youth poured petrol over the woman and then threw a Molotov cocktail on to the bus she was travelling on in the suburb of Sevran.

• User profile image
    Cairo

Animals.

• User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

Cairo wrote:
    Animals.

Agreed.  Who would do that kind of thing?

• User profile image
    W3bbo

CannotResolveSymbol wrote:
    Cairo wrote:Animals.

Agreed.  Who would do that kind of thing?

A repressed and disaffected underclass, ignored by the government in power, wanting a voice. However, the vocal few tend to be of the violent extremists, who'se initial minority voice is amplified by the mob; thus rendering them creators of a monster they cannot control.

There is never a one-word wonder-answer for any situation.

• User profile image
    Cairo

Let's feel sorry for the people who burned the disabled woman alive, then.

• User profile image
    Tom Servo

W3bbo wrote:
    There is never a one-word wonder-answer for any situation.

And violence sure isn't one either. But I guess the rioters are too dumb to figure that out. I mean, the starter for all this are two kids, that committed a crime, ran from the police, and killed themselves thinking it might be wise hiding in a transformer cabin.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Cairo wrote:
    Let's feel sorry for the people who burned the disabled woman alive, then.

I wasn't aware of this, granted, I haven't been keeping up with the news on this.

But still, I'm sure 99.9% of the rioters don't want to kill (or even mame) anyone.

...except maybe the police, but only because they represent repressive power, not the police individuals themselves.

• User profile image
    Karim

Cornelius Ellsonpeter wrote:
    I was supposed to fly to Paris next week...hmmm. I'm reconsidering now.

The U.S. Embassy called the protests "extremely violent" and warned travelers against taking trains to the airport because they pass through the troubled area.

The RER trip from CDG was never that scenic, you won't miss much.

A national police spokesman, Patrick Hamon, said there appeared to be no coordination among gangs in different areas. But he said youths in individual neighborhoods were communicating by cell phone text messages or e-mails — arranging meetings and warning each other about police operations.

Brings a new meaning to the phrase "flash mob."  Does this count as social networking?  Is it a Web 2.0 thing? 

(quotes from http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/france_rioting)

• User profile image
    Cornelius Ellsonpeter

Karim wrote:
    The U.S. Embassy called the protests "extremely violent" and warned travelers against taking trains to the airport because they pass through the troubled area.

The RER trip from CDG was never that scenic, you won't miss much.

A national police spokesman, Patrick Hamon, said there appeared to be no coordination among gangs in different areas. But he said youths in individual neighborhoods were communicating by cell phone text messages or e-mails — arranging meetings and warning each other about police operations.

Brings a new meaning to the phrase "flash mob."  Does this count as social networking?  Is it a Web 2.0 thing? 

(quotes from http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/france_rioting)

Ugh.  Looks like the "mob" is spreading into Paris itself now.

French Police Arrest 250 as Arson Grows

AP wrote:
    ACHERES, France (AP) - Youths armed with gasoline bombs fanned out from Paris' poor, troubled suburbs to shatter the tranquility of resort cities on the Mediterranean, torching scores of vehicles, nursery schools and other targets during a 10th straight night of arson attacks.

Police deployed a helicopter and tactical teams to chase down youths speeding from one attack to another in cars and on motorbikes. Some 2,300 police were brought into the Paris region to bolster security, France-Info said. More than 250 people were arrested.

Further down in the article it talks about how they are using the Internet.  Sounds like one big excuse to blow things up.  But torching nursery schools? I also heard they were shooting at the police, throwing rocks at firefighters and in one case, targeting medical aid workers. WTF?

AP wrote:
    "Civil war is declared. There will no doubt be deaths. Unfortunately, we have to prepare," said a posting signed "Rania."

"We are going to destroy everything. Rest in peace, guys," wrote "Saint Denis."

• User profile image
    Karim

For me, the most interesting part of the article was that cars are being torched in Avignon, Nice and Cannes.

If Clichy-sous Bois is Watts, then Cannes is Beverly Hills.

• User profile image
    Cairo

Where's Michael Moore?

The image “<a href=http://graphics.jsonline.com/graphics/owlive/img/oct02/moore103002_big.jpg” cannot be displayed, because it contains errors." src="http://graphics.jsonline.com/graphics/owlive/img/oct02/moore103002_big.jpg" height="302" width="190"> The image “<a href=http://www.muslimwakeup.com/archives/images/michael-moore-cannes-300.jpg” cannot be displayed, because it contains errors." src="http://www.muslimwakeup.com/archives/images/michael-moore-cannes-300.jpg">

"Hooray for Michael Moore"

-MuslimWakeup.com

• User profile image
    Tom Servo

The question is, how long will this sort of stuff to continue. As funny it is to make stuff explode, it gets old after a few days. But they're already 10 days at it.

• User profile image
    Cornelius Ellsonpeter

Source: AP

Sad

• User profile image
    Karim

Ok, I laughed.  That's just freaking surreal.

Possible captions:

"Fries are up!"

"Ok, who ordered the McInsurrection Meal?"

"Paris, France: McDonald's first experiments with flame broiling goes horribly awry."

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.