Coffeehouse Thread

10 posts

Stupid feature suggestion

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Manip

Hibernation works when all the computer's memory is dumped to the hard disk; as are the CPU registers and other important status information.

But what if I don't want to turn off my computer but 'hibernate' an application? For example, what if I'm reading a PDF and can't save my page and just want to pause the program until a later date?

Why can't we have a new option on the right click of all running processes that allow a person to store their status until the application is next launched?

You can expand that by having profiles for home and work on your laptop; instead of quiting applications just store all process info and shut them down, and then re-load it when requested to do so...

Now Windows, Linux and Mac OS X teams let's see who can "innovate" that first. Smiley

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Well, one option is to run each program state you want to save in its own VMWare Workstation environment and save 'n' restore that Wink

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

I think I read Vista will have something like that that will allow you to save application state when doing a reboot for something like updates. I'm not sure if this will work with every app and if you can do it on-demand, though.

• User profile image
    Michael Griffiths

Sven Groot wrote:
    I think I read Vista will have something like that that will allow you to save application state when doing a reboot for something like updates. I'm not sure if this will work with every app and if you can do it on-demand, though.

If those applications use the new APIs, I believe.

Ideally, those APIs could also be used to save state on application close, and not just reboot.

So you're in the middle of coding/photoshopping/writing, and you have to leave. Instead of shutting the application down, just "hiberate it."

Nice idea, Manip.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Sven Groot wrote:

I understand some programs don't work well with the existing Hibernate feature.

For example, programs that use the windows clock, wouldn't they be thrown off by the clock saying something like 17:40, then the computer hibernating, then the program seeing the clock now read 09:50.

• User profile image
    charlieM

W3bbo wrote:
    Sven Groot wrote: I think I read Vista will have something like that that will allow you to save application state when doing a reboot for something like updates. I'm not sure if this will work with every app and if you can do it on-demand, though.

I understand some programs don't work well with the existing Hibernate feature.

For example, programs that use the windows clock, wouldn't they be thrown off by the clock saying something like 17:40, then the computer hibernating, then the program seeing the clock now read 09:50.

Oh. I haven't even considered that. I am working on something now that is triggered by timed events.

Thanks for indirectly giving me something to keep in mind

• User profile image
    rhm

Manip wrote:

Hibernation works when all the computer's memory is dumped to the hard disk; as are the CPU registers and other important status information.

But what if I don't want to turn off my computer but 'hibernate' an application? For example, what if I'm reading a PDF and can't save my page and just want to pause the program until a later date?

Why can't we have a new option on the right click of all running processes that allow a person to store their status until the application is next launched?

You can expand that by having profiles for home and work on your laptop; instead of quiting applications just store all process info and shut them down, and then re-load it when requested to do so...

Now Windows, Linux and Mac OS X teams let's see who can "innovate" that first.

Supercomputer operating systems tend to have a feature like this (often with special hardware support) they call "checkpointing" because processes can run for weeks so it's a big deal if they have to start it again from scratch. If the machine crashes or has to be powered down for some reason they can go back to the last checkpoint rather than start from scratch.

It's entirely feasilble to write such a facility for Linux, in fact it may already exist. For example the MOSIX clustering system has the ability move a process from one machine on the cluster to another and thus must have the code at some level to serialize a processes state to disk for some period of time.

Of course the basic unix APIs are much simpler than those of a graphical platform. Serializing the state of all the open windows and the potential interactions with all the other apps on the system would be much harder.

Besides you have to ask if hibernating a process in the way an OS is hibernated is actually the best way to achieve your goal. You can have a typical app that uses 30Mb of memory and thus takes a long time to swap out and swap back in again even on a fast machine (as we know when we minimize an app!) and that actually takes longer than the app did to initially load.

With that in mind it would be better to provide a WM_SLEEPAPP message or something that would tell the app to save it's current state in the most compact way possible, then have a way of telling the app when it's started that it should use that state file. It would best faster in almost any scenario as even when there's a lot of unique data within the process, the app can still decide what is the most efficient way to save it which is better than just dumping memory to disk. Perhaps the facility that Sven is refering to in Vista works like this? It'll take a while for app developers to catch up, but that's life.

• User profile image
    blowdart

dotnetjunkie wrote:

Vista has a completely new sleep mode!
    It's the combination of standby and hibernation, and it's totally awesome!

stibernation or hiberby? It's important Big Smile

• User profile image
    dotnetjunkie

Vista has a completely new sleep mode!
    It's the combination of standby and hibernation, and it's totally awesome!

Mind, you probably need a bios upgrade, but after that resume happens in 1 (!) or 2 seconds, and you can even rip out the power cord Smiley

• User profile image
    Karim

rhm wrote:
    It's entirely feasilble to write such a facility for Linux, in fact it may already exist.

Bet that sentence comes in handy.  A lot.  Probably got that one on a keyboard macro.

Sane Person: "Boy I sure wish computers could do [desired feature]."

rhm: It's entirely feasible to write such a facility for Linux!

Golly gee whillickers, I bet there's nothing you couldn't write for Linux!!!  [author crosses eyes]

rhm wrote:

Perhaps the facility that Sven is refering to in Vista works like this?

It's called Freeze Dry.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.