Coffeehouse Thread

19 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Google Library Freudian slip?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Maurits

Google Blog

"The world's libraries are a tremendous source of knowledge, much of which has never been available online. One of our goals for Google Print is to change that..."

Hmm... does "that" refer to the "never been available online" clause, or to "libraries are a tremendous source of knowledge?"

• User profile image
    DoomBringer

It is obvious that they want to burn down libraries!  Duh.  Eliminates competition, you see.

• User profile image
    Devils​Rejection

When I have a son, and he goes to class, I want him to be carrying one tablet pc, all his textbooks on it, and a smart phone in his pocket.

let google digitize the worlds text!

• User profile image
    Maurits

DevilsRejection wrote:
    let google digitize the worlds text!

I'm all in favor of ease of access to public domain books.  I'm even OK with Google being the medium.

What bothers me is that Google is becoming an informational monopoly... in its most extreme form, it will become impossible to disagree with the people who shape Google's information systems.  It smacks of thought control.

• User profile image
    Minh

DoomBringer wrote:
    It is obvious that they want to burn down libraries!  Duh.  Eliminates competition, you see.

Google is the Brains in Futurama. It makes so much sense now.

• User profile image
    Michael Griffiths

Maurits wrote:
    What bothers me is that Google is becoming an informational monopoly... in its most extreme form, it will become impossible to disagree with the people who shape Google's information systems.  It smacks of thought control.

Yep.

• User profile image
    SlackmasterK

Maurits wrote:
    Google Blog

"The world's libraries are a tremendous source of knowledge, much of which has never been available online. One of our goals for Google Print is to change that..."

Hmm... does "that" refer to the "never been available online" clause, or to "libraries are a tremendous source of knowledge?"

Let's see... How was it worded in the Hacker Ethic...
    (source:  Hackers by Steven Levy):

"Access to computers, and anything that can teach us something about the way the world works, should be unlimited and total.  Always yield to the hands-on imperative!"

• User profile image
    JChung2006

When was the last time anybody who posted in this thread went to a library?  Just curious.

• User profile image
    Maurits

JChung2006 wrote:
    When was the last time anybody who posted in this thread went to a library?  Just curious.

I go every two to three weeks.
    Last book I read: Moby Dick (long, but a good ending... Star Trek II finally makes sense now)
    Book I am currently reading: The Silmarillion
    They also have DVDs... currently watching: Modern Times

• User profile image
    W3bbo

JChung2006 wrote:

To a library: last time I was in college, checking my email Wink

To a library to check out a book: about 16 months ago, checking out some obscure book from the college library

To be meaning to go to a public library: I was meaning to go with some friends about 3 years ago

To actually go to a public library: Sometime in 2000

To actually go to a public library to check out a book: Sometime in 1996-1997 Smiley

• User profile image
    billh

JChung2006 wrote:

I go all the time.  I check out books probably once a week.  In fact, I've read about 50-60 books this year alone.

Do I think Google is going to be an information monopoly? They'll sure try. Whether they succeed is another thing.  Then again, if there is a mass book burning and firefighters like in "Fahrenheit 451"...

• User profile image
    sbc

Perhaps there should be another episode of Google Park?

• User profile image
    jamie

there is... only i DIDNT DO IT!! Wink

here

• User profile image
    AndyC

JChung2006 wrote:

Probably over a year ago now, when the new one opened here. I love books and used to spend ages in the library when I was a student. These days it's just easier to buy them on Amazon, particularly tech books as libraries tend to be a long way behind.

• User profile image
    jamie

oops - URL was broken i meant here**what the...   c9 even takes swearing out of URLs???

www.google b a s t a r d s .com

• User profile image
    Harlequin

Library? 1987 Smiley

Don't think I went my last 2 years of high school....(grad '89)

• User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

What I think is funny is that Google is doing this...and they didn't even clear things up with the Authors Guild or anyone else...I smell Lawsuit comming on.

• User profile image
    Maurits

jamie wrote:
    oops - URL was broken i meant here**what the...   c9 even takes swearing out of URLs???

www.google b a s t a r d s .com

Clickable version: Google B*stards.com

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.