Coffeehouse Thread

9 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Passport vs. Screen Name Service why so different?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

Using my computer I have my Windows Passport login (naturally) and through AOL and other "components" I have the Screen Name Service.

Why isn't passport as dependable as the screen name service?

I assume they both call upon either 1 cookies or 2 an "Authentication Module" within the applications that run client side to authenticate however it seems with passport I'm always having to sign in (even if I choose remember email address and password).

I know how the screen name sevice works (and I really can't say much about it) but I would expect the Passport sevice with the OS intergration with Messenger and Windows to be more robust...so why doesn't it appear so?

• User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

So outa 159 Views no one outa all the brilliant minds, software engineers, and developers knows anything about the differences really?

• User profile image
    Cairo

Cybermagellan wrote:
    So outa 159 Views no one outa all the brilliant minds, software engineers, and developers knows anything about the differences really?

s/knows/cares/

• User profile image
    Maurits

You might offer some kind of a reward...

• User profile image
    Charles

Sign me in automatically in Passport does not work? What do you mean? In what context is it not working? Channel 9? Sure, we have a hacked up mult-type auth system. Where else?

C

• User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

Well I mean for all of the network if you want to say. If I sign into Hotmail and then go to beta.microsoft.com passport doesn't sign me in. If I sign into beta.microsoft.com and go to connect.microsoft.com it doesn't detect it. Sign into any of these and then go to Channel9, or any other site and none of them sign me in.

AOL on the other hand is different. If I sign into AOL.com and go to any AOL property it always detects it. If I sign into AIM (Or Triton) and go to an AOL owned property it signs me in with no problems.

It just gets to the point where I'm tired of signing into Passport and can't understand why when Microsoft developed the Passport technologies why can't it work the way it's supposed to (or I'm expecting it).

• User profile image
    Cairo

So if I were to acquire your AOL cookie(s), I could be silently logged in as you at any AOL site?

• User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

Cairo wrote:
    So if I were to acquire your AOL cookie(s), I could be silently logged in as you at any AOL site?

No, it works different but it seems so seemless...there is an actual webservice that maintains that login...but I'm trying to figure out why it works so much better than passport. It just annoys me that I have to almost login to every webpage that's owned by Microsoft but on AOL I can jump site to site without a glitch.

When I say AOL I don't mean the client...I mean signing in on AOL.com, then go to webmail.aol.com then go to pictures.aol.com then...etc.

• User profile image
    Michael Griffiths

Charles wrote:

Sign me in automatically in Passport does not work? What do you mean? In what context is it not working? Channel 9? Sure, we have a hacked up mult-type auth system. Where else?

C

Works like a charm on Channel9.

Fails on Live.com (every damn time I visit the page, even though it worked perfectly on Start.com), frequently on Hotmail, My MSN, Messenger, and sporadically on MSN.com. It also fails between MSDN sites and MSN sites.

Funnily enough, it fails even when I'm using MSN Messenger (which almost never happens).

I don't mind too much, but it's mildly irritating that "Log me in automatically" doesn't work.

Yahoo! has those "Please enter your password for added security", which annoys me considerable less; MSN just says "Sign In."

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.