Coffeehouse Thread

16 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Our Corporate Jet is Bigger Than Yours: Google Founders Buy a 767

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    billh

Google Founders Buy Themselves a 767

The article wrote:
    On the road, Sergey Brin and Larry Page have owned environmentally friendly hybrid vehicles such as the Toyota Prius. In the air, they apparently prefer something roomier.

Google Inc.'s two billionaire founders, both 32 years old, will soon be cruising the skies in a Boeing 767 wide-body airliner. They bought the used plane earlier this year, Mr. Page says.

Jamie, now you HAVE to come up with another GooglePark. Smiley

• User profile image
    dahat

Perhaps things are not as great over as Google as we once thought... after all... what kind of self respecting billionaire buys themselves a ‘used’ airplane? Who knows what the previous owners might have done in it!

• User profile image
    Tensor

I like to imagine they have a ten pin bowling lane in there.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Tensor wrote:

Captain: Watch out guys, we've got a little bit of turbulence ahead
    *plane drops 10 feet*
    *CRAASH!*
    Larry: Woohoo! Striiiike! Big Smile

• User profile image
    Karim

Tensor wrote:

Who needs a bowling lane when you have a round rotating bed!

Do no evil, baby!  Yeah!

• User profile image
    Devils​Rejection

Thats foolish, why not a 777 or the brand spanking new 787.

• User profile image
    Karim

DevilsRejection wrote:
    Thats foolish, why not a 777 or the brand spanking new 787.

The WSJ article said the used 767 (at $15 million) was roughly one-third the price of a new Gulfstream 550 business jet.

That looks like a bargain until you read that they may be spending upwards of $45 million to completely refit it with a "100% VIP" interior.

The cost of flying the 767 ($13,000 per hour) is also quite a bit more than the Gulfstream V ($7,850).  However, if they manage to always fill up all 50 seats on the 767 (which I doubt will happen, I don't think Larry & Sergey have that many fawning sycophants for an entourage), then the 767 becomes cheaper on a per-passenger basis.

The price, is like, whatever, who cares, it's their money.  If there's room in the world for Hooters Air, maybe there should be a Google Air.  Whatever.  My only concern is practical -- it seems like you'd be able to land a Gulfstream at a LOT more airports (smaller ones) than a 767.  That seems like a MUCH more practical driver for a business jet.  When you are visiting a bunch of places, you want to land at the nearest airport, which could be a tiny general aviation airstrip somewhere.  But I don't know if there's a difference between where the Gulfstream can operate vs. the 767.  Anyone know what the runway requirements are for the two aircraft?

• User profile image
    Steve411

Heck, Microsoft could buy Boeing completely if it wanted to. There's a lot more billions there.

But i hope they dont or ill switch to linux.

Hahaha, Jamie, C9Park!

- Steve

• User profile image
    rjdohnert

Must be nice to have all that money from a big fat IPO.

• User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

So what, who cares...when you have Snoop as your Pilot who needs a big  767

• User profile image
    Manip

Darn they ARE risk takers, I mean buying from Boeing, are they trying to get themselves killed? ... I would have got myself a nice safe Airbus plane and lived a long and happy life... Cool

• User profile image
    Michael Griffiths

Manip wrote:

Darn they ARE risk takers, I mean buying from Boeing, are they trying to get themselves killed? ... I would have got myself a nice safe Airbus plane and lived a long and happy life...

Because Airbus is so much more succesful and companies are just begging to buy from them, leaving Boeng in the dust. :O Expressionless [A]

• User profile image
    zzzzz

Manip wrote:

Darn they ARE risk takers, I mean buying from Boeing, are they trying to get themselves killed? ... I would have got myself a nice safe Airbus plane and lived a long and happy life...

AirBus Number of planes in sky more than 3,000

Boeing number of planes more than 14,000

Not what i call a fair compairson

• User profile image
    Michael Griffiths

zzzzz wrote:
    AirBus Number of planes in sky more than 3,000

Boeing number of planes more than 14,000

Not what i call a fair compairson

It was a joke.

• User profile image
    Wil

Larry Ellison will attack their 767 with his MIG!

• User profile image
    Karim

Because sometimes your passengers' egos are just too damn heavy.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.