Coffeehouse Thread

6 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Rather old Channel9 bug

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    W3bbo

    I figured I'd file it here (to see how it handles).

    But anyway, I've noticed this bug since I first used Channel9. Its nothing major, but can someone explain it anyway?

  • User profile image
    irascian

    I don't know why they don't just rename this place ShamelessPluggingForMyWebSiteOrBlog.com

    It's taken more words for you to hype a link to your web site than it would have done to simply say "Forum thread titles have breaking spaces".

    (Not just aimed at webbo): If you want to hype your blog and/or web site use the profile facilities that make those little icons appear by every single entry you make. Otherwise please stop wasting our time with pointless posts that contain links that just waste our time.  Thank you.

  • User profile image
    jommy

    hear hear......

  • User profile image
    sbc

    irascian wrote:

    I don't know why they don't just rename this place ShamelessPluggingForMyWebSiteOrBlog.com

    It's taken more words for you to hype a link to your web site than it would have done to simply say "Forum thread titles have breaking spaces".

    (Not just aimed at webbo): If you want to hype your blog and/or web site use the profile facilities that make those little icons appear by every single entry you make. Otherwise please stop wasting our time with pointless posts that contain links that just waste our time.  Thank you.


    I must admit it does seem wrong to plug site or blogs on this site (OK occassionally when it is relevant to the post (as long as it is not a reply that simply links to a blog post), but not when it is a new thread that serves as advertisement). This forum does sometimes just appear to be an ad forum.

  • User profile image
    W3bbo

    sbc wrote:
    I must admit it does seem wrong to plug site or blogs on this site (OK occassionally when it is relevant to the post (as long as it is not a reply that simply links to a blog post), but not when it is a new thread that serves as advertisement). This forum does sometimes just appear to be an ad forum.


    I didn't start this thread as an advertisement, sheesh.

    I speak with Adam Kinney a lot outside of Channel9, and he said he's planning on using my site to keep track of Channel9's bugs and other feature suggestions (in lieu of the wikis, which are hardly the best way of doing things)

    So I'm just posting a "real world" example, nothing more.

  • User profile image
    irascian

    W3bbo wrote:


    So I'm just posting a "real world" example, nothing more.


    So why not say that? Posting a message with a subject that says "Old Channel9 bug" gives no indication as to whether the post will be of interest or not.

    So the user clicks once and waits for a new server page to be dished up.

    Read message. No information at all other than a link.
     
    Click for a second time and wait for another server page to be dished up

    .. to find you're just looking at a prettified web page with a couple of sentences on it.

    You could have pasted the entire content in the subject line and then in the message explained what you've just explained above so that only those interested clicked through to see what you call a "real world" example but what I call an "advert" for your own web site.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.