Coffeehouse Thread

11 posts

FreeBSD 6.0 in the wild

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    rjdohnert

    Since so much of the topics here revolve aroun Windows and Linux [sybliminal hint: Beer28]  I figured this would be of importance.  The FreeBSD OS has hit version 6.0 and is available for download.

    For those of you that dont know, FreeBSD is a true UNIX operating system that is Open Source..  They also redesigned their web site

    It is a true alternative to Linux and proprietary UNIX OS's and in many ways superior to Linux.  They alreadty have a true desktop flavor [Mac OS X].   The other flavor in the BSD Family include Darwin  NetBSD
    and OpenBSD

    The BSD License and Mozilla licenses are the only true Free source licenses in existance now.

  • User profile image
    sven_kraemer

    yes BSD is pretty nice Smiley

    take a look on it if you want to broaden your horizon

  • User profile image
    Manip

    Linux is Open Source... [Free|Net]BSD is Free Software...

    Linux is NOT Free Software .... [Free|Net]BSD is Open Source...

    I prefer BSD for servers; I wouldn't use either Linux of BSD on a desktop but if I was forced I would use Linux.

    Linux evolves quicker than BSD primarily because BSD-ers are so obsessed with getting things "correct"; and although that keeps BSD running behind it does lead to better quality and more consistency.

  • User profile image
    rjdohnert

    I like BSD because it doesnt make you feel like you are a permanent Beta tester.  Like Manip said, its more consistent and it tends to work the first time.

    Manip wrote:
    Linux is Open Source... [Free|Net]BSD is Free Software...

    Linux is NOT Free Software .... [Free|Net]BSD is Open Source...

    I prefer BSD for servers; I wouldn't use either Linux of BSD on a desktop but if I was forced I would use Linux.

    Linux evolves quicker than BSD primarily because BSD-ers are so obsessed with getting things "correct"; and although that keeps BSD running behind it does lead to better quality and more consistency.

  • User profile image
    Manip

    Beer, you are easily the biggest hypocrite I know... You talk about how wonderful OSS is and how Microsoft is evil for charging and then use that same logic in reverse to convince people as to why Linux is better than BSD...

    You could move most of the people who run a Linux site to BSD over night and the next day they wouldn't even notice. The reason why hosting companies sell Linux and not BSD is because most people ask for Linux ... Apache is out for both platforms and has the same feature set...

    Interestingly though, if you look at government servers a lot of those run NetBSD particularly when security is important.

  • User profile image
    Tom Servo

    Beer28 wrote:
    That can be good in certian situations, but doesn't meet the fast paced cutting edge needs of most people.

    Oh really, is that yet another conclusion from your alternate universe? From what I've witnessed, companies hate fast pacing, because it implies work, downtime and problems. And there wasn't anything cutting edge in years, that benefitted systems operation. But if you say different...

  • User profile image
    Karim

    Manip wrote:
    Beer, you are easily the biggest hypocrite I know... You talk about how wonderful OSS is and how Microsoft is evil for charging and then use that same logic in reverse to convince people as to why Linux is better than BSD... 


    Word.

  • User profile image
    rjdohnert

    Beer forgets FreeBSD has a Linux emulation layer that allows FreeBSD to run most if not all  Linux binaries.  And yes Karim, Beer28 is hypocrite.  Manip also has a very interesting point, its not how many webservers runs BSD it who runs BSD.  On a sidenote Im installing 6.0 now, will let everyone know how it is.

  • User profile image
    Erisan

    rjdohnert wrote:
    ... many ways superior to Linux.


    I'm sure this is the case, but can you elaborate a bit?
    Any good links where are technical information and hard numbers?

  • User profile image
    IRenderable

    Erisan wrote:
    rjdohnert wrote:... many ways superior to Linux.


    I'm sure this is the case, but can you elaborate a bit?
    Any good links where are technical information and hard numbers?


    Well a whole OS is much better then a Kernel wouldn't you say? Tongue Out

    If you wan't to look at some benchmarks though here you go:
    http://bulk.fefe.de/scalability/

  • User profile image
    Erisan

    Beer28 wrote:
    those are very old kernels, plus it's benchmarking the 2.6 kernel in it's initial builds, not very fair


    Pretty old indeed. Today many new performance patches was submitted to
    lkml and many more are waiting in unofficial trees.

    Beer28 wrote:

    My big complaint with fedora core is their i386 builds. Who the hell has an intel chip only capable of 386 instructions?


    Should we build i386 or i686 rpms?
    Re: i386,i586,i686
    Any many more ...

    But I'm utterly OT again. Sorry.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.