Coffeehouse Thread

14 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Cats, dogs, Firefox, IE living together

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Minh

I just found this cool extension for FF, IE Tab. It lets you open up a page using IE as a tab inside FF.

Note: for FF 1.0.x, you need to install two plugins. For 1.5 & above, just the one.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Nifty Smiley

• User profile image
    martin_lovi​ck

why would you want to downgrade to IE having switched to Firefox?

• User profile image
    IRenderable

martin_lovick wrote:

If your a web developer then sometimes things that work one way in one browser will work diffrently then in another browser and this way you only need one browser open instead of 2.

• User profile image
    Cairo

martin_lovick wrote:

1. To be able to use poorly written web applications that require IE
    2. To test sites you're developing with IE

• User profile image
    martin_lovi​ck

in a perfect world the web should be pure and browser independent

• User profile image
    W3bbo

martin_lovick wrote:

I blame that not on Microsoft, but on the developers of the WYSIWYG tools.

Heck, even Dreamweaver 8 /STILL/ references Nutscrape 4.0

• User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

Several high-profile web services require or work better on IE:  MSDN library (hierarchial navigation is easier), Windows Live (requires IE), Outlook Web Access is nicer on IE, pen input and Clipster here need IE, launch.yahoo.com needs IE to run....

Most of these are Javascript incompatibilities or ActiveX and so can't be fixed by changing Firefox's user agent.

And when you are surfing on the internet, IE tab makes the transition to Internet Explorer a whole lot easier... although I would like to see more integration with the browser chrome (addresses typed into the address bar open in Firefox even if it is already an IE tab, and the forward/back buttons don't seem to work quite right.)

• User profile image
    Cairo

A little off topic, but, the Version of Safari (and Webcore) released with the recent 10.4.3 Mac OS X update is Acid2-compliant.

http://webkit.opendarwin.org/blog/

So now there's officially a web browser out there that passes the Acid2 test.

There's a number of groups and companies using the Webcore code now. Nokia is, I think. I wonder if anyone's working on a Win32 browser based on Webcore.

• User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

W3bbo wrote:
    martin_lovick wrote: in a perfect world the web should be pure and browser independent

I blame that not on Microsoft, but on the developers of the WYSIWYG tools.

Heck, even Dreamweaver 8 /STILL/ references Nutscrape 4.0

True...I think the only reason that they kept going with their own thing was because everyone else played along...

• User profile image
    DoomBringer

martin_lovick wrote:

In my role as a web developer, I can say that nearly all web browsers suck. 

• User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

Cairo wrote:
    I wonder if anyone's working on a Win32 browser based on Webcore.

I've looked into that, and the only (living) x86 port of WebCore is gtk-webcore, using the GTK+ API.  It's still in alpha, and the rendering engine is almost complete.  However, they don't have GTK/Win32 support yet, but they are working on it (look in the mailing lists).

It doesn't look like there are any straight Win32 ports of WebCore still living (although I recall that I did find one dead project--or maybe that was to OpenStep... kind of a big difference).  But GTK-Webcore is still worth a look, once they get it stable on Windows and get some more of the basic functionality down (cookies, JavaScript, etc.) it should be a pretty functional browser, and maybe even a starting point for a completely Win32 based WebCore browser.

[edit: oops, forgot my quote :O]

• User profile image
    Born2Run

DoomBringer wrote:
    martin_lovick wrote:in a perfect world the web should be pure and browser independent

Big Smile

And this is NOT a perfect world, very far from it.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Born2Run wrote:
    DoomBringer wrote:
    martin_lovick wrote:in a perfect world the web should be pure and browser independent

And this is NOT a perfect world, very far from it.

Or is it?

Not one to engage in philosophical debate on a developer's forum, but you could argue that the deterministic nature of the universe (straight to the heat-death) renders it a truely perfect universe.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.