Coffeehouse Thread

11 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

VS 2005 - Service Pack or next version?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Rossj

Does anyone know who we should be asking to find out whether all of the bugs in 2005 will be fixed in a SP or whether Microsoft really expects developers to wait for the next version of the product?

Following on from Irascian's thread it is fairly obvious to most people that VS *really* wasn't ready for release .. I was just wondering whether anyone in Microsoft is going to comment, and tell us how they're going to put it right.. 

I'm starting to think this isn't 'fit for purpose'...

• User profile image
    Tom Servo

Were there ever service packs for the previous versions of VS.NET?

• User profile image
    blowdart

Tom Servo wrote:

2002 had one. 2003 didn't, although there was a patch for sourcesafe.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Tom Servo wrote:

The venerable Visual Studio 6, which lasted us from 1998 through to 2002 (a good 5 years!) had 6 service-packs over its life.

I still feel Visual Studio 2003 was more like SP1 for Visual Studio 2002.

My money says there will be a VS2006 too.

• User profile image
    Tom Servo

Longhorn will be out 2006. Can you say Orcas?

• User profile image
    dotnetjunkie

No, your question is answered over here:

http://blogs.msdn.com/eric/archive/2005/11/04/489108.aspx

• User profile image
    Tyler Brown

According to this blog entry, there will be service packs for both Visual Studio 2003 and Visual Studio 2005.

• User profile image
    BryanF

I've been playing with the express editions and so far I'm really impressed. I don't have the many to put down for and of the higher-end editions, so I haven't been able to judge their quality. There is a part of me, though that wonders if VS2005 is really so much buggier than previous releases of if it just seems that way because of the level of transparency we've been given this time around. I'm not trying to discredit the critics, but it's worth asking how bad this release is compared to other products. Very few software projects ship without *any* bugs, so the question is how does the number / severity compare in relative terms.

Any thoughts?

• User profile image
    David7738

BryanF wrote:

I've been playing with the express editions and so far I'm really impressed. I don't have the many to put down for and of the higher-end editions, so I haven't been able to judge their quality. There is a part of me, though that wonders if VS2005 is really so much buggier than previous releases of if it just seems that way because of the level of transparency we've been given this time around. I'm not trying to discredit the critics, but it's worth asking how bad this release is compared to other products. Very few software projects ship without *any* bugs, so the question is how does the number / severity compare in relative terms.

Any thoughts?

The number of known bugs is not remarkable. This list of known bugs will only increase until most if not all bugs are found. Microsoft does seem commited in reducing the number of bugs and given the size and complexity of the studio(s) have done a creditable job. And a much better job (IMHO) than in previous versions and I"ve been using Microsoft Complers since pre-MFC days.

• User profile image
    JChung2006

I wonder if they've started working on Orcas SP1 yet, haha.

It is interesting to have a company announce its first service pack a week after a product goes live.  It would be like Ford announcing their 2007 line and the recall dates on those 2007 models at roughly the same time.

• User profile image
    irascian

JChung2006 wrote:
    I wonder if they've started working on Orcas SP1 yet, haha.

It is interesting to have a company announce its first service pack a week after a product goes live.  It would be like Ford announcing their 2007 line and the recall dates on those 2007 models at roughly the same time.

I think they did the right thing. The blogosphere was filling up with people complaining that Microsoft never released Visual Studio service packs and it had the potential to turn into a PR disaster, overshadowing the public launch events.

FWIW the bugs that were most worrying (lockups!) all appear to be in the area of Intellisense getting confused and going into 100% CPU loop. Reading a couple of appropriate blog entries (or bug fix responses) to discover the workarounds to stop this happening should ensure your experience with VS2005 is nothing but pleasurable.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.