Coffeehouse Thread

22 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Torn between two loves (Another Linux post)

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

• User profile image
    Erisan

Cybermagellan wrote:
    I still hate Linux...I feel so dirty.

Smiley.
    If you think Linux is THAT bad, maybe you should try this:
    Programming - PHP: Setting up on Windows Platform

• User profile image
    themaxx.ca

You still hate Linux cuz you still can't use it.

• User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

Erisan wrote:
    Cybermagellan said:
    I still hate Linux...I feel so dirty.

Smiley.
    If you think Linux is THAT bad, maybe you should try this:
    Programming - PHP: Setting up on Windows Platform
    Wierd part is I have done it...with WindowsXP, Apache, MySQL, and PHP and served pages for quite awhile...Problem is I was running Windows Server 2003 and wanted to use PHP and IIS at the same time... When it comes to Linux that is the one (and probably only) think I like about it. Installations...click checkmark, click next...installs (either through APT, Synaptic, or whatever) and your on your way. I timed myself against a friend of mine who could install and host a specific page the fastest and naturally I won (on linux he was on XP). I was installing while he was still digging through the webpage for Apache...if only Windows could take the Marketplace and do a "BITS" install of certain apps....well I'm sure that would make some people happy... I DON'T like Linux for a whole lot of reasons...(more than why I like it). But most of it deals around the community as Beer demonstrated to RJ with the "RTFM" response. But enough of that...So my main issue was trying to use two seperate technologies natively with each other. Which I don't think works. IIS + PHP = NoGo

• User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

themaxx.ca wrote:
    You still hate Linux cuz you still can't use it.
    Right... Anyways I was a huge Ubuntu supporter "back in da day". I had work obligations at home that demanded Windows (And Beer before you get started no, it couldn't happen with WINE, Cedega, or anything else). So your statement was very inaccurate. But thanks for showing up and posting this once just to make that foolish statement.

• User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

Erisan wrote:
    Ah, ok. Sorry I can't help you with that, but I'm sure here is people who
    can.

That's OK...I'm sure there MIGHT be away...but I'm not into hunting it down.

• User profile image
    PeterH

Beer28 wrote:

http://www.activestate.com/

KOMODO, the killer IDE! Wink

it works super on Fedora Core 4

Komodo looks awsome, I program in PHP quite alot and thinking about it Komodo would be a perfect alternative to Dreamweaver, because programming in PHP is basically all I do in it. I do most HTML and CSS in Notepad.

Thanks yet again Smiley

• User profile image
    Erisan

Cybermagellan wrote:
    Wierd part is I have done it...with WindowsXP, Apache, MySQL, and PHP and served pages for quite awhile...Problem is I was running Windows Server 2003 and wanted to use PHP and IIS at the same time...
    So my main issue was trying to use two seperate technologies natively with each other. Which I don't think works. IIS + PHP = NoGo

Ah, ok. Sorry I can't help you with that, but I'm sure here is people who
    can.

Cybermagellan wrote:

I DON'T like Linux for a whole lot of reasons...(more than why I like it).

Heh, that's ok. The best thing is that you don't have to like Linux Smiley.

Cybermagellan wrote:
    But most of it deals around the community as
    Beer demonstrated to RJ with the "RTFM" response. But enough of
    that...

I skip 95% of Beer's posts (sorry Beer!) and personally doesn't care what
    he thinks or writes. Another one is RJ but fortunately he doesn't pollute
    threads as much.

• User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

Beer28 wrote:
    I'll admit to knowing something about php and IIS. Why don't you just use the installer from php.net?

http://ca.php.net/get/php-5.0.5-installer.exe/from/a/mirror

It adds the .php handler in the IIS control panel for you as one of the final installation steps.

• User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

OK, this is going south real quick like...

yum is giving errors about "no more mirrors to try" and trying to edit a post here in Firefox gave me nothing but a blank rich text box...

So, so far I already can't download, install, or update anything through yum and Firefox is giving me crap about something IE does in a heartbeat....BTW...Google for yum or yum.conf...real helpful. I'm starting to remember why I like Windows so much:O

• User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

Yeah well...I've been doing that for the past half hour to an hour...this is really starting to suck.

Terminal wrote:

tting up Update Process
    Setting up repositories
    Cannot open/read repomd.xml file for repository: livna
    failure: repodata/repomd.xml from livna: [Errno 256] No more mirrors to try.

Um...yeah that's real fixable...LOL do all FC installations/setups work like this?

• User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

Beer28 wrote:
    you have a badly configured yum.conf file
    livna pretty much sucks.

yum --disablerepo=livna update

That will get you updated for now, but in the long term, you'll want to.... ->

visit fedorafaq.org

http://www.fedorafaq.org/#installsoftware

install their yum package with this command

rpm -Uvh http://www.fedorafaq.org/yum

make sure you're root first with su

now you can enable the repositories you want to install software from, and disable the ones you don't, like perhaps livna.

EDIT: check out /etc/yum.repos.d/* and /etc/yum.conf to enable and disable repositories by default.

EDIT2: Alternatively, you can search package descriptions for software from all your enabled repositories by doing

yum search bananas

or you can search package names by doing

yum list *bananas*

BTW, SuSE does all of this for you with easy configuration gui's. You strike me as more of a SuSE user than a Fedora user.

• User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

Hmm well I dunno about that...because my wife has no clue how to program and Microsoft hasn't paid her anything...

• User profile image
    erik_

no offense, but installing php on iis looks(maby is) easy. Just did this for the first time and well I don't know if everything is working, but phpinfo(); does.

Go to your mmc, add the iis snap-in.
    Click on + until you get to the default web site.
    rightmouse click on default web site and choose properties.
    choose tabblad 'Home directory' click on the button Configuration.
    click add, browse to the dir where you extracted the php.zip file and add (set browse for .dll instead of .exe) php5isapi.dll, add .php to the extention box and click ok.
    2x ok, and test it out, dunno if you need to restart it.

Disclaimer: I don't got a clue if this is save or stable, just tried out something and was supprised I could do this without the F#@$% manual.

• User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

Yeah I didn't even look into doing it really just remember the video for IIS7 that scoble did and remember people were like Oh Wow! PHP Support in IIS? So I had assumed it wasn't possible...like I said..I wasn't going to dig too far for it...

Interesting situtation I seem to be in now. FC4 is up and running...I downloaded the Live DVD ISO for SUSE (Checking out Beers recommendation), and now that I'm trying to burn it to the DVD+RW that I have it comes up with...

"Please put a CD with enough space into the drive" or a similar error message. I remember from my days with Ubuntu that I could write click on the disk and choose Format and it would format it...however Nautilus isn't giving me the chance. In Windows I could open up Nero or Alcohol 120% and do it from there in a snap.

dvd+rw-format blank=full /media/cdrecorder or /dev/cdrecorder is telling me something about a "Block device" after Googling it I see something about drivers...

This is one of my main complaints about Linux is the compatibility between distros. If I can format a disk in Ubuntu by right clicking and click format...why not Fedora?

• User profile image
    Erisan

Cybermagellan wrote:

This is one of my main complaints about Linux is the compatibility between distros. If I can format a disk in Ubuntu by right clicking and click format...why not Fedora?

ISO Makes Linux Standards Base a Standard

GNOME/KDE/whatever versions are not the same?
    FC4 has GNOME 2.10 and Ubuntu has 2.12
    Why don't you use Nero in Linux?
    etc.

Yep, and I can complain:
    "Whaat?!, XP doesn't burn my ISO-file but GNOME does it without any problems ... XP sux!"
    "What?! I can't run XP in English and Spanish at the same time different user? XP sux!"
    etc etc.
    But that doesn't lead anywhere useful.

I don't want to be rude but I think your whining is 90% of meaningless and
    pointeless bashing. People are complaining about Beer's posts but are still
    giving him "good" reasons write more about Linux.

Maybe you should learn to use FC and actually spend time with it or stick
    with Windows which has no any problems.

• User profile image
    Cairo

Cybermagellan wrote:
    Anyways I was a huge Ubuntu supporter "back in da day".

Riiight. The first Ubuntu release was about a year ago, right? So back in which day were you a huge Ubuntu supporter?

(Posted from my Mac, line breaks and all.)

• User profile image
    Steve411

If you can't instal PHP on Windows then there is something wrong with you. I was able to install it since i was 12.

Manually. It's been all over my servers for as long as ive known.
    - Steve

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.