Coffeehouse Thread

6 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Writing FrontRow w/ WPF

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Deactivated User

Comment removed at user's request.

• User profile image
    will

Casey is awesome!

I've followed a few of his past articles documenting his creation of various apps. Really cool way to get familiar with various new technologies I feel is to write apps using them.

• User profile image
    Tyler Brown

I was planning on attempting to clone FrontRow as soon as I finished up my exams this semester. He managed to do a fairly decent job in a short amount of time. Considering that Apple likely spent a good deal of time and had more than one developer... thats fairly impressive.

• User profile image
    Rossj

Tyler there is actually quite a lot of the eye candy missing, a point he makes in his conclusion of that article.  It's a shame so many of my Mac Zealot compatriots decided to give him a hard time though, especially when there are naff clones out there that are much worse.

• User profile image
    Tyler Brown

I agree with you Ross that it lacks a lot of the eye candy... but I feel this project was more of a proof of concept really. He was able to take WPF and rapidly develop an application that is very similar to something that Apple has invested some significant time and resources to. Sure... it can use a lot of work, but with a couple of people on the project, it'd take no time at all! My opinion of course.

• User profile image
    Michael Griffiths

Tyler Brown wrote:
    I agree with you Ross that it lacks a lot of the eye candy... but I feel this project was more of a proof of concept really. He was able to take WPF and rapidly develop an application that is very similar to something that Apple has invested some significant time and resources to. Sure... it can use a lot of work, but with a couple of people on the project, it'd take no time at all! My opinion of course.

He mentions two people - one designer and one programmer - working full time for a month to do Front Row.

Pretty fast.

I wonder how long Apple took? That would be an interesting question.

I agree that Mac articles like this is what makes me think that Apple Zealots are almost as bad as Linux zealots.

It really irritates me how fawning pro-Apple coverage is. Jeez, cause a spade a spade, not "A fantastic new instrument has come out of innovate Apple, under the perfect oversight of Steve Jobs... it allows workers to move earth very rapidly, and with style... the silver filigree on the handle is beautiful, and also beautifully functional, allowed for increased grip when weilding the invention with sweaty hands or meaty gloves.... [etc]."

Really.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.