Coffeehouse Thread

7 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Cool iTunes Widgets

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    irascian

    Fired up my Apple Mini this weekend - its main function in life is as a digital jukebox but I also use it for basic Safari browser testing.

    My favourite add-in is the jewel case software that displays an Avalon-like rotating CD Jewel case of whatever album's playing.

    Anyway I had a look around at some of the Dashboard gadgets I use and must say it would be cool to have versions of these in Windows.

    The coolest widget is probably this one. It works with iTunes and displays the lyrics of any song you're playing on iTunes as you play them - very cool and it's free. It's freaked out on one or two of my more obscure dance tracks ("Not found") but I'm impressed that it copes with stuff like The Buzzcocks' "Noise Annoys". It would be great to see a Microsoft gadget that did the same thing for Media Player.


  • User profile image
    Karim

    irascian wrote:
    The coolest widget is probably this one. It works with iTunes and displays the lyrics of any song you're playing on iTunes as you play them - very cool and it's free.


    Cool, good to know, thanks.

    FYI iTunes 6 finally supports adding lyrics to songs (when did they add that?) and the new iPod supports displaying & scrolling the lyrics.

    Also, the new iPod keeps the album art on display when you select it.  (Unlike the older 4G iPod Color...)

    WMP gets bonus points for automatically going out and getting album art for all your MP3s.  (Why it saves the art as separate, hidden image files, though... I don't know...)  iTunes still doesn't do that, and yeah, neither of them will go out and get lyrics for songs, even though there are lots of utilities to do this...

    Probably one of the coolest (and most underutilized) features of WMP and WMA files is synchronized lyrics -- where you can actually save the lyrics in the WMA file and then specify which words or phrases should be displayed at which point in the song.  (Kind of like closed captioning.)  It's kind of a bother to create manually, but it's a lot of fun to have karaoke-style lyrics on your songs....

  • User profile image
    Minh

    Karim wrote:

    Probably one of the coolest (and most underutilized) features of WMP and WMA files is synchronized lyrics -- where you can actually save the lyrics in the WMA file and then specify which words or phrases should be displayed at which point in the song.  (Kind of like closed captioning.)  It's kind of a bother to create manually, but it's a lot of fun to have karaoke-style lyrics on your songs....

    True. But WMP lyrics editor is one of the most retarded UI I have ever seen, especially if you paste your lyrics into it, then try to drag those timing lines around... I dare you!

  • User profile image
    Michael Griffiths

    Minh wrote:
    True. But WMP lyrics editor is one of the most retarded UI I have ever seen, especially if you paste your lyrics into it, then try to drag those timing lines around... I dare you!


    So true.

  • User profile image
    Karim

    Minh wrote:
    True. But WMP lyrics editor is one of the most retarded UI I have ever seen, especially if you paste your lyrics into it, then try to drag those timing lines around... I dare you!


    That's why I said it was kind of a bother.

  • User profile image
    Harlequin

    You wouldn't need those widgets if people tagged their mp3's with album covers and lyrics Smiley

    I don't do lyrics, but I do my best to find album covers, even if it takes me an hour surfing the web for some weird techno album...

  • User profile image
    Darcey

    You can get all these widgets with konfabulator.
     Sing That iTuneiTune Companion

    Sing that itune is really buggy though.  When I used it, everytime it failed to find the lyrics to a song the stupid thing crashed, it may have been fixed now.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.