Coffeehouse Thread

48 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

8 year-old completes High School then Starts College

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    a !

Possibly, Gates, Cerf, Brin, Pauling etc..., all rolled into one.
    Will be interesting to watch his future - especially if he goes into Technology or Medicine or Politics.

http://www.koreaherald.co.kr/SITE/data/html_dir/2005/11/05/200511050024.asp

• User profile image
    Manip

Funny thing; a lot of people could "complete" their grades if given the opppitunity... I mean I have been bored and frustrated every day of every year in both school, college and now university...

If someone sat me down, put an exam in front of me and said "Pass that" I wouldn't have a problem in MOST subject areas. And given a revision guide for all subject areas I'm sure I could pass them in a couple of days...

So the fact that an eight year old is able to go to college doesn't surprise me in the slightest ... The work in college doesn't get a lot harder it just changes form and there is more of it.

I'd like to see kids get fast-tracked in the UK; skipped grades and given extra *HARD* work to do... Sad

My hardest subjects (in that I'm least likely to pass) are those that contain a lot of boring work, like English for example.. Things like Maths and Science (not always) often leave you with unanswered questions which is great; and a lot less of the work is just useless space filler stuff.

Programming also has that problem; you write a two thousand line program but only ten lines of that is a 'problem' the rest is just a wrapper around the real logic. Not to mention all the wasted time spent looking though documentation trying to figure out why some idiot did something in a completely illogical way. </Rant> [A]

• User profile image
    Devils​Rejection

I agree with you Manip. I almost got left back twice due to absences in High School but my professors vouched for me. I even finished high school a full semester early Smiley

But you have to admit... and 8 year old explaining string theory is an accomplishment. I am from the US and education here is a joke, absolutly horrid. Sure there are a few who do well, most of those who do well have two good skills: remembering and shutting the hell up.

I've had history teachers fail me on exams because i chose the more controversal point of view, I even got called a racist because I said Rosa Parks wasn't a civil rights activist, she didn't wake up one day and said I want to start a revolution, she simply was tired after a long shift and refused to get up, period.

The whole concept of education that we have right now is radically changing thanks to the internet. Kids are spening less time watching TV, more time online allowing their minds to grow. I like where this is going and hope that one day finishing High School doesn't mean you have to wait to be 18, but 16, or even 14.

Sorry to get off on a rant but I do feel cheated by a system that is desinged to make everyone pass. When people don't do well on examination, drop the passing grade a few points to help those who struggle. This isn't the way to think about it. There will always be winners and losers in life. Sadly Americans have a hard time realizing this.

• User profile image
    Karim

DevilsRejection wrote:
    I've had history teachers fail me on exams because i chose the more controversal point of view, I even got called a racist because I said Rosa Parks wasn't a civil rights activist, she didn't wake up one day and said I want to start a revolution, she simply was tired after a long shift and refused to get up, period.

I don't think this makes you a "racist," but I'm not sure you understand Rosa Parks...

Rosa Parks was tired, sure, but she was not incapable of standing.  If a pregnant or elderly white person had needed a seat, she probably would have chosen to stand, even though she was tired.  Instead she chose to stay seated.  The decision to stay seated (even when she was physically capable of standing), despite the threat of jail, is what makes her an activist in my book.  The fact that she was doing this in order to claim her civil rights is what makes her a civil rights activist.

When the bus driver asked her why she didn't give up her seat, Rosa Parks said, "I don't think I should have to stand up."

Note, she didn't say, "I'm too tired."  She didn't say, "He is a man and I am a woman."  She didn't say, "That man is younger than I am."  SHE DIDN'T MAKE EXCUSES.  She said she wasn't giving up her seat because she shouldn't HAVE TO give up her seat.

In your description, she's just tired.  "Period."

In Rosa Parks' own description, she insists on her civil right to stay seated.

If you read a little about Rosa Parks, you'll find out that she was active in the NAACP before she got arrested.  At the NAACP, she was the advistor to Claudette Colvin, who was arrested for not giving up her bus seat nine months before Rosa Parks.  And of course Rosa Parks was very active in the NAACP even after she was arrested.

Oh, and just so you know, that guy in Tiananman Square who stood in front of a column of tanks?  I know that "the more controversial point of view" says that he was just crossing the street, didn't even notice the tanks, just decided to stand there for a while.  But that's also misinformed, FYI.

• User profile image
    Manip

Karim calm down. You guys are having a debate about if the sun is more bright or more sunny it is pointless. Your entire argument revolves around reading the women's mind, either side isn't racism nor is either side provable as being right nor wrong. So give it a rest.

• User profile image
    Karim

Manip wrote:
    Karim calm down. You guys are having a debate about if the sun is more bright or more sunny it is pointless. Your entire argument revolves around reading the women's mind, either side isn't racism nor is either side provable as being right nor wrong. So give it a rest.

Calm down?  LOL Manip, you haven't seen me upset. Big Smile

That is actually my point -- I detest mind-reading of someone else's motivation for doing something.  (e.g. "Rosa Parks motivation for not getting out of her seat was sheer tiredness")

We don't have to guess at her motivation because the bus driver asked her that, and she already replied back in 1955:

James Blake (bus driver): Why don't you stand up?

Rosa Parks: I don't think I should have to stand up.

Now, to me, that dialogue is pretty clear.  She doesn't stand up because she doesn't think she should have to.  We don't have to read her mind, her motivation is public record.  And we don't have to invent other motivation.

• User profile image
    Manip

If you are going to go on about it, let me settle this debate once and for all:

Parks detailed her motivation in this moment in her autobiography, My Story:

People always say that I didn't give up my seat because I was tired, but that isn't true. I was not tired physically, or no more tired than I usually was at the end of a working day. I was not old, although some people have an image of me as being old then. I was forty-two. No, the only tired I was, was tired of giving in.

• User profile image
    Devils​Rejection

I'm sorry I derailed a thread with this Rosa Parks babble guys.

• User profile image
    Michael Griffiths

The kid's a genious. In some ways, good for him.

In others - I shudder to contemplate the amount of stress he's under - both because of the expectations people are not attributing him to, but (more to the point) because of his complete isolation from anyone who could empathize with him.

He may be able to intellectually perform at a college level, but socially and emotionally he's just an eight year old. The human brain doesn't finish developing until the mid twenties.

Poor kid.

Comment: Read into Rosa Parks a bit more. She was an activist, and if memory serves me, her refusal was planned. Even if it was not, however, she was certainly the secretary of the NAACP for something like 15 years.

• User profile image
    Karim

Michael Griffiths wrote:
    In others - I shudder to contemplate the amount of stress he's under - both because of the expectations people are not attributing him to, but (more to the point) because of his complete isolation from anyone who could empathize with him.

Kids can handle stress, they have good adrenals.  Big Smile  It's not the lack of empathy that gets you so much as the outright antagonism. Big Smile  I expected jealousy from students; I didn't expect to get "So you think you know it all, eh? vibes from professors.

Michael Griffiths wrote:

He may be able to intellectually perform at a college level, but socially and emotionally he's just an eight year old. The human brain doesn't finish developing until the mid twenties.

On the plus side, your parents let you date college girls the minute you hit puberty.  LOL

Beer28 wrote:

I agree, I don't think it matters why she didn't want to get up out of the seat.

Because it doesn't have anything to do with either Linux or how much Microsoft sucks?

• User profile image
    a !

Actually met Rosa Parks and questioned her about that.

NO, it was NOT planned at all, she said.

Also, there was a 16 year old girl who was arrested a few weeks before - but -  her cause was abandonned when she was discovered to have been pregnant and unwed (this was the mid 1950s)

• User profile image
    the_one

I am sorry but I take issue with some things you are saying such as:

"I am from the US and education here is a joke, absolutly horrid."

Explain why U.S. companies with U.S. born citizens lead the world in patents, both medical and technological, and Nobel Prizes in Science and Technology? I hear this all the time and it is completely baseless. I will agree that our K-12 education could be a lot better but that is compared to what it was and not to the rest of the world.

I have heard the same old saying, "well the world is catching up". You know why the world is catching up? Because we are at the top so any progress on their part translates into catching up but the margin is still great.

"I've had history teachers fail me on exams because i chose the more controversal point of view, I even got called a racist because I said Rosa Parks wasn't a civil rights activist, she didn't wake up one day and said I want to start a revolution, she simply was tired after a long shift and refused to get up, period."

Really, never mind she was an active member of the NAACP in Alabama before she refused to get up after a long shift as you put it. The organization in which she was an active member of is a civil rights organization so please explain to me how that does not make her a civil rights activist? You were failed because of your lack of insight on the subject not because your view was controversial. While I dont think Rosa Parks was as important to the civil rights movement as others I do at least understand the history behind her act.

I dont know about you but I grew up in dilapidated school district in the heart of the ghetto, under funded, under represented. However, I do not feel and was not cheated at all. I went on to a top 5 computer engineering school and now I am a software architect only 3 years out of school. Based on your comments I would feel cheated too as it seems the education system has failed you. However, it has not failed me. I feel fortunate. You are only as good as you are willing to work.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

the_one wrote:
    Explain why U.S. companies with U.S. born citizens lead the world in patents, both medical and technological, and Nobel Prizes in Science and Technology? I hear this all the time and it is completely baseless. I will agree that our K-12 education could be a lot better but that is compared to what it was and not to the rest of the world.

Well, at least over here in the UK we're not teaching psudo-science in science classes Smiley

• User profile image
    the_one

Well, I would not know anything about that because I graduated high school over 10 years ago when science was science. While I dont agree with it the fact remains. Those comments were not inclusive of the U.K.

Our systems are very similar. If I am not mistaken our two countries have a little history. Smiley

• User profile image
    scobleizer

a ! wrote:
    Will be interesting to watch his future - especially if he goes into Technology or Medicine or Politics.

http://www.koreaherald.co.kr/SITE/data/html_dir/2005/11/05/200511050024.asp

At one of our VBITS conferences a 12-year-old showed up with his parents. He had already gotten a perfect score on the SAT and had already been accepted into college. I felt sorry for him. He was so over-the-top bright that he wasn't going to have any sort of normal life.

By the way, he learned to program when he was four.

He was a nice kid, though, but I noticed something else: he wasn't all that interesting to talk to. He had a lot of knowledge, but not a lot of real-life stories. It's the stories that people tell that makes them interesting.

And, it's not just raw intelligence that'll help you be a leader. It's the kind of stories you can tell and the kinds of people skills you'll acquire in your life.

So, is this kid going to be the next industry leader? I doubt it.

• User profile image
    Manip

the_one wrote:
    I am sorry but I take issue with some things you are saying such as:

"I am from the US and education here is a joke, absolutly horrid."

Explain why U.S. companies with U.S. born citizens lead the world in patents, both medical and technological

Why does the US lead the world in the number of law suits? Because people and companies *CAN* so *WILL*.

the_one wrote:
    Nobel Prizes in Science and Technology?

Firstly there is no Nobel Prize in technology... And secondly the USA is very rich and can afford to spend a lot on research thus are more likely to have people discover new things. 

the_one wrote:
    I have heard the same old saying, "well the world is catching up". You know why the world is catching up? Because we are at the top so any progress on their part translates into catching up but the margin is still great.

I would put the UK's education system up against the USA's... In the UK anyone can go to University, no money down... I don't know which is the "best" and I didn't complain about the US's system but at the same time I'm not going to sit back and let you stump around talking about how wonderful the United frigging States is. 

the_one wrote:
    I dont know about you but I grew up in dilapidated school district in the heart of the ghetto, under funded, under represented.

In the country with the "best" education system, right? ... 8-)

• User profile image
    IRenderable

That kid is never going to have any friends and his life will not be very fun.

"Hey Johnny, instead of playing with your friends at school lets get you to go to college with a bunch of grownups who will NOT think of you as a friend, how does that sound?"

I be he will crash and burn like all the other child prodigies.

• User profile image
    the_one

Amen to that. We are all intelligent but not all smart. People are said to be smart if they are able to tap into their intelligence more intuitively than others. I would also submit that smarts is a function of time. You can only be so smart at 12 or 8.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.