Coffeehouse Thread

9 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Thurrott quote on IE

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    brian.​shapiro

"Though my opinion of IE will likely change when IE 7 ships next Spring, for now it's pretty clear that only the uninformed and clueless would use the product." -- Paul Thurrott (http://www.internet-nexus.com/)

Screw you Paul. I nowadays use Firefox more than IE (I use both), but IE isn't a bad browser and doesn't give your computer cancer. Whats with Paul and his hyperbolic bomb-throwing, is he trying to get attention.

• User profile image
    Devils​Rejection

It's true tho, people upgrade because bigger number is better. IE7 must be soooooooo much better than IE6.

We all know that Firefox is a superior browser, and that IE7 will only shine when it is on Vista. I feel that a true review of IE7 will only happen when we see it used on Vista, and even then I will probably still use firefox Tongue Out

• User profile image
    jamie

i use ie 6 sp2 - i dont have any virus/spyware issues

the css rendering in ie7 rocks - but i hate the upside down -limited- ui

FF is a joke ui

Flock looks great but didnt work as advertised

• User profile image
    Manip

I haven't been hit by spyware in a couple of years and the browser appears stable and renders most web-sites perfectly. The UI is clean and importantly the browser loads in about two seconds.

Firefox doesn't follow Windows platform standards closely enough and the wheel mouse support is a joke; the thing is more unstable and takes forever to load. I also can't see a lot of difference between the rendering times on Firefox and IE (with most 'normal' site).

The only thing I would like in IE that Firefox has is some of the anti-advert plugins and its pop up blocker.. But both I can live without for now.

I almost switched to Opera a while ago, but it doesn't work on some important sites (including this one).. The Opera UI is cool and it loads quickly...

• User profile image
    Devils​Rejection

Manip Opera works perfectly with Channel 9...

• User profile image
    brian.​shapiro

the Firefox interface really still is half-baked, you can improve it with extensions and themes but it only goes so far; and then you have to take the time to do that which most users won't. then there are still plenty of minor bugs in Firefox, and it still has issues with memory leaks.

PLUS, Firefox doesn't comply with CSS standards even though its hyped to; for instance one thing I really hate is it doesn't support inline-block; and in order to do something like it you have to use a Mozilla PROPRIETARY HACK.

i always thought the discussion of how MS is so bad because they don't fully comply with CSS was a joke even though I realize that it would be a good thing. It will be much welcomed when IE supports PNG images though.

Internet Explorer also has some features Firefox and none of its extensions do well, like handling mhtml files. the maff file format is a joke. I also like how IE handles favorites better. I also like the idea of the search sidebar that IE has even though it should be implemented better. you could always do search from the address bar in IE with a registry hack which most people don't know, but the idea of sidebar search is better imo.

always with IE, it never put spyware on your system if you were cautious you could always avoid it, now with SP2 spyware isnt more of a risk than with Firefox.

tabs aren't that innovative or necessary or special, but i've gotten accustomed to their handiness so thats why I tend to use Firefox more. I also hate the IE toolbar icons I find them ugly, I hate the Firefox default icons also, but I install a theme.

at any rate.... PAUL THURROTT seems to want to purposely make incendiary statements that are hyperbolic, whether thats because he wants to get a reaction or whatever reason, I don't know why. remember 'Longhorn is a trainwreck' even though he knew the build he was reviewing had very little that they were working on in it?

• User profile image
    Manip

DevilsRejection wrote:
    Manip Opera works perfectly with Channel 9...

No it doesn't... The rich text box becomes a plain edit box... And plus as I said above C9 wasn't the *only* site I had problems with.

Oh and would just like to add... I hate how Firefox stops you from running *.exe files ... I'm not a frigging child, I can choose if I want to run it or not, I don't want to be told what I can and can't do. Opera and IE both happily allow me to run them and IE will even delete the file for me when I clear my history.

I wouldn't mind if that was just the default and you could hack in the change, but Firefox doesn't even support THAT.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Manip wrote:
    Oh and would just like to add... I hate how Firefox stops you from running *.exe files

Uh.... I haven't had any problems with FF regarding that.

• User profile image
    Michael Griffiths

brian.shapiro wrote:
    Screw you Paul. I nowadays use Firefox more than IE (I use both), but IE isn't a bad browser and doesn't give your computer cancer. Whats with Paul and his hyperbolic bomb-throwing, is he trying to get attention.

Paul Thurrot has - very vocally - hated Internet Explorer for years.

It's not a new opinion with the advent of Firefox or the coming of IE7.

I'd consider his opinion hugely over the top, but it's still his opinion - and as such, not really right or wrong. It's a jackass opinion, though.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.