Coffeehouse Thread

9 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

quick questions from a civilian

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Tom Geary

I'm curious if some of you could share some quick insights into life as a developer…the things you hate (or love)...pain points. For example, are there things that you've done that seemed like a Necessity at the time [52 hours / red bulls / no showering / fighting over process / testing] that, with retrospect, you can only smile about? Here's a personal example: I spent some time working at Macromedia. Every meeting had at least 20 people, everyone with a laptop + wifi. Almost immediately, the focus of the meetings shifts to IM and email, rather than the subject at hand. To me, it seemed crazy, but we all did it. And soon, I fell into the habit, as well. Mostly, I'm curious about the Challenges of Being a Developer...could be top-level, or detailed. Much thanks, Tom

• User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

Depends on what you develop and with what language...

I use HTML and CSS alot as well some VB and C# on occasion. One of the most horrible things for me is the excessive use of {'s and }'s as well as ;'s I understand why they are there so why doesn't a compiler?

The next thing would be user design. My manager was going outa town on Friday and Thursday night I showed her a "Rough Draft" of a replacement page for something describing our department. She said great except she wanted it like that by Friday night. That wasn't cool. I spent the good part of the next 12 hours working on it...moving this and that, here and there...just so that low and behold on Saturday for her meeting....nope didn't even show it.

Supervisors and the Design pitfalls I would say...

• User profile image
    JChung2006

My primary pain points as a developer are interruptions.

If I can zone out and just grind out code for 8 hours per day, I could get a lot done, but my boss is always barging in with random crap that always has to get done ASAP.  Then at the end of the week, he's clueless why I haven't made more progress on what I was supposed to be working on.

He's a guy with FILO demands and FIFO expectations, heh.

If I had to endure meetings on top of that (I need to watch my language), I think I would have quit long ago.  Thankfully, these interruptions don't happen often enough for me so I can get some work done.  Sometimes I work from home too just to avoid the (I need to watch my language).

I don't think interruptions are unique to software developers either.

NOTE TO C9 -- The language filter didn't catch my profanity after I did an edit.

• User profile image
    Tom Geary

Okay, to put this another way (especially in light of the neighboring thread): what are things you don't like about programming?

• User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

The lack of neural interpetation. If I could have VS create based on my thought. I would just quit working all together.

Seriously though: I would say other peoples lack of apreciation for your work.

• User profile image
    Tom Geary

One last angle: what is the moment of moments: shipping the beta? Is it a challenge...or a nightmare? I'm looking for some tales...some Truths that are Stranger Than Fiction.

• User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

For myself it's getting phone home data from an application...

1. OMG it works.
    2. OMG what does the user think?
    3. OMG what can go wrong?
    4. OMG what is the user saying?

Then after awhile it is...

5. How can I improve?
    6. Will this be enough?
    7. If I can't improve the product...then how do I keep my job?

Goto 1 

• User profile image
    irascian

Pain points

incomplete spec or assumptions that haven't been written down,

scope increase once user sees first cut of 'real' code as opposed to HTML mockup or after launch date when they start using the product and realising it's not what they needed

lack of design with rush to "start coding" because people are spare

management trying to push extra people onto an already stressed team to help damage limitation, not realising that late in the project adding new developers just takes time away from those already over-stretched in trying to get those new people up-to-speed and anywhere near the point where they can be productive

endless meetings because project manager has no technical background and feels vulnerable if he can't attend without his technical lead

testing always proceeds slowly until last week when suddenly in the time slot allocated for developers to write documentation a ton of bugs that should really have been discovered early in the process come flooding in

constant interruptions when you're trying to get "into the zone" of writing what needs writing

developers giving initial estimates and then percentage complete estimates that "forget" unit testing, deployment, rework, code review, bug fixing and documentation 

Glory points

first deployment to QA

first deployment to production

live launch

a week after live launch when site is still up and running

first stats showing site is being used

customer asking (and paying for) change requests (which shows they're pleased to do more business with you)

I'm sure there's others I've forgotten, but I'm late for work and got to go.

• User profile image
    Steve411

Cybermagellan wrote:

Depends on what you develop and with what language...

I use HTML and CSS alot as well some VB and C# on occasion. One of the most horrible things for me is the excessive use of {'s and }'s as well as ;'s I understand why they are there so why doesn't a compiler?

The next thing would be user design. My manager was going outa town on Friday and Thursday night I showed her a "Rough Draft" of a replacement page for something describing our department. She said great except she wanted it like that by Friday night. That wasn't cool. I spent the good part of the next 12 hours working on it...moving this and that, here and there...just so that low and behold on Saturday for her meeting....nope didn't even show it.

Supervisors and the Design pitfalls I would say...

Agreed.

I'm out with VB and C#, sometimes a bit of J# just to study. But I disagree on the excessive use of {'s, }'s and ;'s. If the compiler doesn't understand them then that wold be a bad bad thing. Smiley

Over and out.
    - Steve

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.