Coffeehouse Thread

44 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

How do you relax?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

Sad I went to the doctors the other day and after an EKG and such find out that alot of the pains I'm getting in my chest are because of Stress and such (Caffine, Sugars, Candies). So as an off topic question...

How do you relax? I'm looking for ways to reduce my stress outside of work (because you reduce your stress at work you get fired) and trying to calm down...

So far to help out I've quit drinking soda, cut back (a little) on eating choclate, and quit eating candies all together. I'm drinking tea, snacking on fruits, and well just stopped eating candy.

Why it's so hard for me also is because my metabolism is so high that I wind up eating alot of sugars so that I have energy (I've tried breaking completely off...I suffer) and am just looking for ways to make things easier.

Any ideas?

• User profile image
    blowdart

Right now?

Well there's a bunch of stuff going on with me that trust me, none of you want to know about; which makes it hard to relax.

So I have a few ways to do it;

I'm studying, so sitting down and studying and completing the tutor marked assignments work.

Walking. For at least an hour. In the dark Smiley

Breathing. When I had my course on presentation skills my tutor taught deep breathing exercises, pull in the stomach, then breath, feeling it build up from the bottom up, and slowly exhale. If you can concentrate on something like a ticking clock to the exclusion of everything else (hard) so much the better.

As for sugar, replace it with fructose Smiley

• User profile image
    JChung2006

Exercise.

• User profile image
    Dr Herbie

Go and learn self-hypnosis (you may have to go to a hypno-therapist to get them to teach you properly).
    You can get a CD to listen to to help. 

Works for me although I have a tendency to fall asleep, but I guess that's pretty relaxed ...

• User profile image
    Minh

Before trying these new-fangle, hippy ideas, have you tried the good-old-fashion holy twin of beer & cigarette?

• User profile image
    Steve411

I've always ate fruit and drank water (Clean!). But when I'm stressed I code more. Smiley

- Steve

• User profile image
    Tensor

Nothing takes my mind of worries better than reducing my 16 month old to fits of giggles by simply peeking from around the side of the sofa. Priceless relaxation.

• User profile image
    Devils​Rejection

Really hot showers, long ones too. Take the time to breath the steam in and out. I used to go to a gym with a steam room. now that I moved I should find one again!

• User profile image
    Dr Herbie

Ok, so from various posts here the best way to relax is by exercising in a steam room while smoking fags and drinking beer while listening to a self-hypnosis tape.

Let me know how it works out ...

• User profile image
    Devils​Rejection

Dr Herbie wrote:
    Ok, so from various posts here the best way to relax is by exercising in a steam room while smoking fags and drinking beer while listening to a self-hypnosis tape.

MMM-MM-MMMM-MM-M-M-M-M-M-EGA-KILLL-ILL-ILL-ILL-ILL

/UT 2004

• User profile image
    Steve411

Dr Herbie wrote:

You suggested help-hypnosis. Perhaps you haven't woken up yet? Wink

- Steve

• User profile image
    W3bbo

blowdart wrote:
    Right now?

Well there's a bunch of stuff going on with me that trust me, none of you want to know about; which makes it hard to relax.

Oooooh, like how at any moment in time the earth could be zapped by a 10-second long gamma-ray burst, killing everyone?

Or how about the possibility of contracting vCJD from some beef you ate any time in the past 10 years.

And any number of deliberating conditions, such as a brain tumour (even the benign ones can kill you).

NewScientist reports that if a killer asteroid pops up within the next 10 years that's less than 3 years away, there's little we can do about it.

The Bible Code says that we're going to experience massive economic collapse at the end of this year, followed by nuclear war in 2006, with the end-times and the Battle of Armageddon in 2012. Sounds rather reasonable when you think of Iran.

Then there's that dutch astromoner who said our sun is going to explode in 2008 (or something... I followed a link from AboveTopSecret.com back in 2002, I was too scared to investigate it any further)

And if your computer's case is made of metal, you might get a 240V shock (combined with all the amps too = fatal) if your PSU is faulty.

Yep.... it certainly makes sense to relax Smiley

• User profile image
    Steve411

Do you ever stop thinking, W3bbo, and just go with the flow?

Error: The CPU you are using is not properly cooling down your brain. Try this thought again later.

That'll help you chill out a bit. Smiley
    - Steve

• User profile image
    Sabot

Right,

I was a stressed out bunny as well, so I'll tell you what worked for me, but it isn't easy and will require investment which does generate more stress to begin with, but once established into your routine really does work!

1) Eat a balanced and health diet - yes you can still have choccy, soda and puddings, just not every day. Fruit is actually really nice and tasty. Try and have at least 5 portions of fruit and veg everyday. Better if it's fresh. Better if you make the meals yourself, it's often better for you and works out cheaper. The obvious problem is that you need more time, but cooking isn't hard and what else would you do, watch TV, it's mostly adverts anyway! Us blokes actually need to raise our energy level and if you have a high metab, look at slow release carbs rather than sugar, i.e. nuts and pasta. Also eat two portions of fish a week, this give you Omega 3 oils that are essential ... http://www.omega-3info.com/home.htm ... I know this doesn't sound all appealing but once you try it, it tastes great and it's cheaper ... a Mac or a Burger King tastes really bad after east healthily for a few weeks.

2) Exercise - do something that raises your heart rate for 20-30 each day. Walking is great. If you take the bus get off a few stop early and walk the rest. Find an exercise you like and change it around abit every 6 weeks. I'm now a member of a gym, so a good work out is rewards with a trip to the sauna or the spar-pool, either way you get an eyeful of some bikini clad lovely!

3) Organise your day - make list and plan, get out your calendar. By balancing out your workload and understanding what you have to do allows you to plan your day better and manage the expectations of others. So if you deliver when you say you would only make you more popular!

4) Build in time for you and your family - when you make lists and plan, make you day start at 9 and end at 5 and your family time start at 5:30. Keep this time as core and just as important as your work life. Stress is also a mental health problem so by creating balance between work/home will obviously ease this.

5) Get to bed - the right amount of sleep is very important. Sleep is the bodies time to garbage collect all those doggy chemicals in your brain and your body, you need at least 8 hours and you need to be a sleep between 12am-6am as core, because this is the time your body naturally thinks it should be sleeping.

6) Learn to say No -  It's all to easy in life to say Yes to things, but not so easy to say No. Learning to say No to your boss is a big deal, but any decent Boss will know that No is a perfectly valid option, he'll probably be wondering why you haven't been saying it before now. If your Boss is a bully ... life is to short, either ditch your boss which is getting easier to do these days, or jump ship. We have just taken on a 55 year old .Net developer finding another option is easy these days.

7) Change isn't a bad thing - Humans are actually really good at adapting to change so don't be afraid of it. After this is why you buy your kids Girbils, because they don't live long!

Anyway, what it is all about is achieving balance in every aspect of you life. Become realistic about who you are, you aren't super-human, but you can become happier and more productive just by taking better care of yourself.

Anyway, I'm not a life style Guru, just saying what works for me, give me an email if you want to chat more offline.

Dave

• User profile image
    Deactivated User

Comment removed at user's request.

• User profile image
    Sabot

W3bbo wrote:
    blowdart wrote: Right now?

Oooooh, like how at any moment in time the earth could be zapped by a 10-second long gamma-ray burst, killing everyone?

Or how about the possibility of contracting vCJD from some beef you ate any time in the past 10 years.

And any number of deliberating conditions, such as a brain tumour (even the benign ones can kill you).

NewScientist reports that if a killer asteroid pops up within the next 10 years that's less than 3 years away, there's little we can do about it.

The Bible Code says that we're going to experience massive economic collapse at the end of this year, followed by nuclear war in 2006, with the end-times and the Battle of Armageddon in 2012. Sounds rather reasonable when you think of Iran.

Then there's that dutch astromoner who said our sun is going to explode in 2008 (or something... I followed a link from AboveTopSecret.com back in 2002, I was too scared to investigate it any further)

And if your computer's case is made of metal, you might get a 240V shock (combined with all the amps too = fatal) if your PSU is faulty.

Yep.... it certainly makes sense to relax

Also pent up sperm can cause an explosion!

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Sabot wrote:
    5) Get to bed - the right amount of sleep is very important. Sleep is the bodies time to garbage collect all those doggy chemicals in your brain and your body, you need at least 8 hours and you need to be a sleep between 12am-6am as core, because this is the time your body naturally thinks it should be sleeping.

On a similar tangent, regular sex reduces stress too. Smiley

• User profile image
    Steve411

Bet you're gonna' be stressed after writing all that. Smiley

- Steve

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.