Coffeehouse Thread

10 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Download SQL Server 2005 Express Edition

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Volkan

Microsoft has released the SQL Server 2005 Express Edition.

SQL Server 2005 Express Edition (SQL Server Express) is the next version of MSDE 2000. It is a free, easy-to-use, lightweight version of Microsoft SQL Server 2005. 

Download: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=220549b5-0b07-4448-8848-dcc397514b41&DisplayLang=en

• User profile image
    Manip

Or get MySQL and stop the pain...

• User profile image
    compugab

What about the other express tools?

• User profile image
    arunpv

Volkan wrote:

SQL Server 2005 Express Edition (SQL Server Express) is the next version of MSDE 2000. It is a free, easy-to-use, lightweight version of Microsoft SQL Server 2005. 

Download: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=220549b5-0b07-4448-8848-dcc397514b41&DisplayLang=en

Thanks for the Link..

Check this out, I have no clue why i dont see any images...

http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/sql/

am I missing something here or its just M$...... Perplexed

• User profile image
    Blkbam

I don't get images either.  Seems a bit odd that they would missing something like that.  I've submitted to the feedback page so hopefully someone will fix it.

Also mySQL is over kill for simple desktop applications which require storage with better performance, size and scalability than Access.  But much like technology, there's minimum pain if you're experienced with it

SQL Express is going to be one of the best little technologies that MS has released in a long time.  It gives those of us not on the enterprise software/web level a way of using data storage and the professional appeal of SQL Server as those that are on that are, with a few restrictions.

• User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

All the express tools appear to have been released today.  They are free to download for the first year (until November 6, 2006), and it sounds like they won't expire after that (props to Microsoft for clarity (not), see the FAQ page), but you'd have to read the EULA to really be able to figure that one out.  SQL Server Express will be free forever.

And, just to give the release some serious gusto, the images are missing on all the express edition pages.

• User profile image
    blowdart

CannotResolveSymbol wrote:
    All the express tools appear to have been released today.  They are free to download for the first year (until November 6, 2006), and it sounds like they won't expire after that (props to Microsoft for clarity (not), see the FAQ page), but you'd have to read the EULA to really be able to figure that one out.

Wow, that's really badly worded!

If you acquire Visual Studio Express products within the one-year promotional period, you will enjoy the rights granted in the applicable license at no cost for the term of that license.

• User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

From the support forums, an answer that actually makes sense:

Express is free for one year

Until November 7, 2006, we are promotionally discounting the downloadable versions of Express to free. This doesn’t mean that the product turns off after a year, but rather that as long as you download the product before November 7, 2006, you can get it for free and you can use it forever.

And you get perks for registering now too:  stock photos, icons, "various components", and an e-book which will probably be about the language you downloaded.

[EDIT:  you shouldn't get a smiley when the smiley is inside an HTML tag, like this <o:p></o:p>.  Smiley formatting turned off.]

• User profile image
    arunpv

arunpv wrote:
    Volkan wrote:

Thanks for the Link..

Check this out, I have no clue why i dont see any images...

http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/sql/

am I missing something here or its just M$......

OK. Finally they fixed it. I can see Images again....hooray

Anyway, I do see that Express tools are free for one year meaning,
    I think basically they want us to use it for a year and later pay for what you have used for a year and for the future, because  you have developed your software their product and now you  cannot leave without their software... wow nice marketing.... I guess...PerplexedExpressionless

• User profile image
    BenZilla

Read a post up.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.