Coffeehouse Thread

42 posts

Steve Ballmer on stage now...

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    TDavid

And yes, I'm PST. Will check back after lunch.

UPDATE: Cool, it's there now (1:38pm) and Cheap Trick opens ... nice! Are you ready to rock?!

• User profile image
    Larsenal

At around 7 minutes into it, Balmer said, "...maybe a little more bake time..."  I read that as, "Some people are complaining about the quality of the RTM."

• User profile image
    martin_lovi​ck

where? is the video available for download or is still stream-only?

• User profile image
    spiderLab

Does Visual Web Developer support IntelliSense for XSLT?

• User profile image
    Matt_Rajca

So you download the express editions. I thought you get the Full Standard Edition when you attend?

Mateusz

• User profile image
    irascian

Matt_Rajca wrote:
    So you download the express editions. I thought you get the Full Standard Edition when you attend?

Mateusz

You do.

The Express editions are available to anyone - even those who don't attend - and can be downloaded now.

• User profile image
    Manip

scobleizer wrote:
    Manip wrote: Tell us about it seven minutes after its started... No wonder I missed it... Perhaps a couple of hours warning?

Sorry, the recording will be up at 1 p.m.

No, I'm sorry... I was just annoyed about missing it and it isn't your responsibility to remind me. Smiley

I finally saw it and have to say: How many people are getting fired tomorrow?

Worst launch ever, I mean is this a rock show or a technology product launch? Go watch an Apple launch and learn a thing or two.

• User profile image
    Larsenal

Manip wrote:
    scobleizer wrote:
    Manip wrote: Tell us about it seven minutes after its started... No wonder I missed it... Perhaps a couple of hours warning?

Sorry, the recording will be up at 1 p.m.

No, I'm sorry... I was just annoyed about missing it and it isn't your responsibility to remind me.

I finally saw it and have to say: How many people are getting fired tomorrow?

Worst launch ever, I mean is this a rock show or a technology product launch? Go watch an Apple launch and learn a thing or two.

Can you be more specific?  What turned you off?

• User profile image
    Manip

Everything up until Steve B. was on stage (generic rock, long boring video about posters, flashing 'rock' all over...)..... Then everything Steve says up until he starts talking about the product, which is basically just a string of business buzzwords which really don't mean anything.

Why doesn't he just get on stage and talk about the new features? The prices and why people should buy it? Why stand there are talk about innovation and the .Net platform and bluh bluh bluh bluh bluh...

I put music on to drown out Blamer while he went on and on until he got to interesting things.

• User profile image
    irascian

Larsenal wrote:

heh, this is manip who's posted - have you ever seen him turned on by ANYTHING?!

I watched up to the end of Steve Ballmer talking and thought it was OK. It got a bit of excitement going. Fact is if you're out of the office for a day it's fun and gets people enthused.

My criticism would be of the 'Rock Star' video. It reminded me of some of those 'show the crowd how cool we are' videos shown at PDC - they're ALMOST there but not quite. Like the Bill Gates/Napoleon Dynamite special at PDC, or in this case the "Rock Star" video - too many awkward bits or slightly embarrassing moments that make you squirm a bit and make you realise you're not watching a really slick video but nerds trying to look cool and not always pulling it off.

Personally I always feel sorry for the rock acts who have to appear at these gigs. Great idea to get the crowd talking about the event but imagine if you're the band - having to play to a bunch of seated developers who sit politely waiting for the main event.

• User profile image
    Manip

irascian wrote:
    Larsenal wrote:

heh, this is manip who's posted - have you ever seen him turned on by ANYTHING?!

Hey! It isn't my fault so much stuff sucks.... There are a few things I can think of that suck less than other things, if you want to hear them just ask...

But don't be surprised if you hear someone shouting "boring" at the London launch event Tongue Out

• User profile image
    irascian

Manip wrote:

But don't be surprised if you hear someone shouting "boring" at the London launch event

LOL!

I'll be the one you can hear snoring in his seat during the quiet bits: Registration for the Ascend Partners Launch breakfast (held just before the main event) is 7.30am, and I have to get across London first.

Don't they know that we're developers and developers aren't good at early starts?!

I guess they need the loud rock music to make sure we're awake and paying attention! Wink

• User profile image
    ricodued

Heh. Forget what attendees get, what about us official beta testers? Anything neat? Maybe one of those cool neon Visual Studio logo signs.. Tongue Out

-Eric

• User profile image
    irascian

ricodued wrote:
    Heh. Forget what attendees get, what about us official beta testers? Anything neat? Maybe one of those cool neon Visual Studio logo signs..

-Eric

Given the amount of whining on here recently from people complaining about not being able to get the beta's I think that giving beta testers presents on top of the software could cause something close to World War III here on the boards!

• User profile image
    ricodued

irascian wrote:
    Given the amount of whining on here recently from people complaining about not being able to get the beta's I think that giving beta testers presents on top of the software could cause something close to World War III here on the boards!

Hehe. Just checking Tongue Out

• User profile image
    TDavid

irascian wrote:
    Personally I always feel sorry for the rock acts who have to appear at these gigs. Great idea to get the crowd talking about the event but imagine if you're the band - having to play to a bunch of seated developers who sit politely waiting for the main event.

Microsoft. Cheap Trick. Could this be subliminal?

• User profile image
    Bark at the moon

irascian wrote:
    I watched up to the end of Steve Ballmer talking and thought it was OK. It got a bit of excitement going. Fact is if you're out of the office for a day it's fun and gets people enthused.

Now, despite generally liking Microsoft, Steve Ballmer is not my cup of tea. It is that motivational coach style that turns me off. Mark Miller (the CodeRush guy) is more my style. Or, in the fictional character realm, Spock. So sincere and informed overdrive or just the facts presented in a sober fashion. Maybe Steve is sincerely enthousiastic but it comes across, at least to me, as that calculated presentation so many managers use to compensate for lack of content and as a pre-emptive strike against any critics, who'll come across as grumpy killjoys. The 'let's go get'em' peptalk doesn't work for me. The second presentation got me back into Visual Studio after nearly jumping out.

But that's just me Smiley

• User profile image
    Bark at the moon

TDavid wrote:
    Microsoft. Cheap Trick. Could this be subliminal?

Was thinking the same thing. Someone had a wicked sense of humor.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.