Coffeehouse Thread

9 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

asp.net proj development issues

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    sskokku

I am kinda confused with this organization of asp.net projects when it comes to trying to have a big asp.net application having multiple sub-projects.
    Take an example :
    I have to develop a suite of products...say MS office for the web.(lol).
    Now, this includes having to develop Excel, Word, etc...all in pure .NET (double lol).

With this as a requirement, I would also want to have the flexibility to deploy whatever sub-products (word,excel...etc)...I want..as I want.  All of them share the same core, but diff front-ends.

Now, how do I set it up in my VS.NET 2003 IDE.

Thanks in advance.....
    -S

Pssss: Think of it more like ur yahoo portal....u have diff sub modules like mail.yahoo.com , finance.yahoo.com and games.yahoo.com...etc....I am looking to develop something with a similar structure.

• User profile image
    sskokku

Ah well....am committed to .NET ...so..other tech..not an option. Thanks anyways.
    -S

• User profile image
    blowdart

sskokku wrote:
    Ah well....am committed to .NET ...so..other tech..not an option. Thanks anyways.
    -S

Ignore nanite, he's full of nonsense, dismissing a technology because of editor limitations? Huh.

So you want multiple web sites in the same project, and a common set of shared libraries?

Shared is easy, obviously, you simply have a class library, and add references to it in every project (although not best practice really, you really want to have a references project, with all the binaries in it, so you can put them all in sourcesafe, and then pin the dll from your output).

Now if you want to have mutiple web sites, in 2003, you need to cheat a bit. You edit the files, so they appear like class libraries, and setup your own virtual directories. You have to love Fritz Onion for the instructions

This way there's no dependancy on getting the IIS vdir's right, and the project is a class library, so you can put multiple ones into each solution.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

blowdart wrote:
    Shared is easy, obviously, you simply have a class library, and add references to it in every project (although not best practice really, you really want to have a references project, with all the binaries in it, so you can put them all in sourcesafe, and then pin the dll from your output).

Now if you want to have mutiple web sites, in 2003, you need to cheat a bit. You edit the files, so they appear like class libraries, and setup your own virtual directories. You have to love Fritz Onion for the instructions

This way there's no dependancy on getting the IIS vdir's right, and the project is a class library, so you can put multiple ones into each solution.

Uh, I haven't had any problems with multiple sites per solution, and sharing assemblies from other projects in the same solution.

For each web-project, just go Project > Add Reference > Projects Tab > Add (rather than adding a reference to the assembly file itself).

Of course, I'm not using local IIS5.1 for ASP.NET development.

• User profile image
    blowdart

W3bbo wrote:

Uh, I haven't had any problems with multiple sites per solution, and sharing assemblies from other projects in the same solution.

For each web-project, just go Project > Add Reference > Projects Tab > Add (rather than adding a reference to the assembly file itself).

Of course, I'm not using local IIS5.1 for ASP.NET development.

Must admit I've not tried it, one project one web site Smiley So I was assuming the original poster was correcting in having problems.

I'm quite serious about having a seperate references project though, and placing binaries in there, and then under source control.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

blowdart wrote:
    I'm quite serious about having a seperate references project though, and placing binaries in there, and then under source control.

Well, I don't use source-control. My only experience with it is CVS, and that was getting the MONO sources.

I guess if I was in a team then it would be different, but I'm quite happy with NTFS's built-in versioning tools.

• User profile image
    irascian

nanite wrote:

You, sir, are an idiot. 

I can think of lots of words to describe blowdart.

But "idiot" isn't one of them!

nanite wrote:

He's asking if he can mix and match .ascx and .ascx pages as components within a website, which he can't.

".ascx and .ascx pages" are those like stereo user controls or something?!

• User profile image
    sskokku

Well... I finally found a solution that seemed to work........and its based on an article from MS
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;307467

thanks ppl.

-Sash

• User profile image
    Charles

Please don't call each other names. It's pointless. Serves no purpose. Useless.
    C

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.