Coffeehouse Thread

15 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

where are you at VS Launch

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Jaz

the C9 GPS tracker seems to have gone on the blink so we're doing this manually.  W3bbo is at one of the VS Launch partays (birmingham i believe) and would probably like to share a drink and a muffin with some fellow c9er's. 

so list your locations in this thread here and perhaps we'll get some blind dates going.

• User profile image
    jommy

i will be at the West London launch next week

• User profile image
    Tyler Brown

This Thursday I shall be at the Ottawa Launch Party hosted at the Crowne Plaza hotel downtown. If you want to get together, send me an email through my C9 Profile page.

• User profile image
    Manip

jommy wrote:
    i will be at the West London launch next week

Ditto

• User profile image
    Rossj

I bumped into W3bbo at Birmingham before losing him again - in typical w3bbo diplomatic style ..

Me: Hi .. dave?
    Dave: Oh Ross - I thought you'd be younger.

(sigh)

My overall opinion though, t'was a waste of time. I get sales people calling me at my desk, don't need to travel all the way down to birmingham to be presented with several different customers on video all saying the same thing (word for word in some cases).

Best quote of the day: But don't believe these figures, they're just benchmarks - things are different in the real world - check out these benchmarks instead.

• User profile image
    Thomas​Pleasance

I liked Microsoft ticked all the boxes("HMV Digital") lol

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Rossj wrote:
    I bumped into W3bbo at Birmingham before losing him again - in typical w3bbo diplomatic style ..

Me: Hi .. dave?
    Dave: Oh Ross - I thought you'd be younger.

(sigh)

Sorry! :/

You just caught me unprepared.

• User profile image
    irascian

Rossj wrote:

My overall opinion though, t'was a waste of time. I get sales people calling me at my desk, don't need to travel all the way down to birmingham to be presented with several different customers on video all saying the same thing (word for word in some cases).

Best quote of the day: But don't believe these figures, they're just benchmarks - things are different in the real world - check out these benchmarks instead.

A bunch of questions:

Was even the "training" a waste of time?

Does Webbo agree that it was a waste of time?

Did you get a voucher or actual disks for the free software and was it VS2005 Pro, as in San Francisco, or VS2005 Standard as indicated in earlier reports?

Oh yeah and did those pens arrive OK?

• User profile image
    Rossj

irascian wrote:

A bunch of questions:

Okay, they'll be short responses, I have to catch a train in 6 hours ..

irascian wrote:

Was even the "training" a waste of time?

I actually signed up for chalk and talks but the rooms only held 40 people and I didn't get to the room on time, it was either stand up in an over crowded room for 1.5 hours or go to the main dev track.  Best part was the discussion on Membership APIs (which looked kind of interesting).

irascian wrote:

Did you get a voucher or actual disks for the free software and was it VS2005 Pro, as in San Francisco, or VS2005 Standard as indicated in earlier reports?

Voucher, and standard.  If you were willing to wait we were told we could have Pro but it wasn't ready yet.

irascian wrote:

Oh yeah and did those pens arrive OK?

They did, thank you very much,  but I am just incredibly useless at writing cheques, as soon as I get back from London tomorrow I'll sort it out (along with resignation letter as I have a new (non-management) job Smiley sshhh ).

• User profile image
    irascian

Rossj wrote:

They did, thank you very much,  but I am just incredibly useless at writing cheques, as soon as I get back from London tomorrow I'll sort it out (along with resignation letter as I have a new (non-management) job sshhh ).

Don't be silly. They were a gift. I don't want a cheque. Just wanted to check they'd arrived OK as the postal system here can be a nightmare.

• User profile image
    martin_lovi​ck

a few questions for the microsoft people,

having registered to recive the software and recieved the confirmation email, any idea when Visual Studio Pro 2005 is going to be released?

are we going to recieve a boxed copy or just a pile of cds?

does the offer include SQL Server and BizTalk (as it says on the card)? or is it just VS Pro 2005?

also, any chance of making the hands-on lab manuals available as pdfs (with the associated example exercises of course)?

• User profile image
    JPeless

I just went to the launch event today in Detroit, this is my experience:

1- Pretty cool, first event like this I have been to.
    2- We got the disks for SQL Server Standard (1 CAL) and VS 2005 Standard (in a nice case)
    3- Info to get BizTalk 2006, but I don't really care about this anyway
    4- Voucher for free certification exam if you are into that
    5- other prizes for drawings and giveaways

• User profile image
    AndyC

I was also at the Birmingham event and, though I saw W3bb0 at one point from across the hall, didn't actually meet up with any 9ers! Did bump into quite a few other people I hadn't expected to see though...

Not entirely sure it was really worth the train fare, but the lunch was nice I suppose. Could've done without the rain afterwards though!

• User profile image
    Tensor

Rossj wrote:
    (along with resignation letter as I have a new (non-management) job sshhh ).

Decided to re-insert the brain? Smiley

• User profile image
    Rossj

Ian,

Thanks, you're a gent Smiley Hopefully I'll get to return the favour ..

and Tensor, yes putting my brain to work again.  I hate leaving so soon but both the quote about people rising to their level of incompetence and this recent blog entry are true.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.