Coffeehouse Thread

11 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Grokster shuts down

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Tensor

Check it out.

So - who is next? With one guy in HK jailed for torrenting, could we see the end of illegal file sharing?

• User profile image
    Steve411

That's bull and they know it.

The music and film industry should know that once they hit that login button on the web they enter OUR turf. It's our way or the highway, and they'll probably ralize that soon with them crackers out there.

Hollywood, you CAN'T win this battle. The big and the bad always rise to the top.

Note: I am not saying that I support piracy. Soo shhhh! don't even start W3bbo.

- Steve

• User profile image
    MisterDonut

They'll never completly shut down Peer2Peer, I think. The goal, though, is to minimize it. Geeks like us can get movies, music, etc. on the net if we want to. But, if you can prevent (or make it very rough for) teenagers and college students from illegally downloading movies and music, then you've won a big battle, since they're more likely to buy the CD / DVD than those who pull it from the web.

• User profile image
    Tensor

The thing is, that people tend to use the logic that they can not possibly prosecute all file sharers as there are too many of them. But I think they dont need to prosecute them all - they need to prosecute enough. If there is a perceived risk people won't do it anymore. Take out the people who are producing the files in the first place and there is nothing left to share.

• User profile image
    MisterDonut

Tensor wrote:

The thing is, that people tend to use the logic that they can not possibly prosecute all file sharers as there are too many of them. But I think they dont need to prosecute them all - they need to prosecute enough. If there is a perceived risk people won't do it anymore. Take out the people who are producing the files in the first place and there is nothing left to share.

I agree. If RIAA / whomever were to proscecute 100 people a month, and it was very public, I think, over the period of a few months, people would be slow to still copy the files they shouldn't be (according to US laaw, at least). I would, if I were the fed government, go after the people downloading it, in addition to the people sharing to begin with. Once you get a few public stories of Grandma being prosecuted (and you know she'll be let off with a warning and a fine), people will be more alert and think "Holy crap.. If they'll prosecute a granny, maybe they'll come after me, too!".

I think of it like this: if you don't speed, you don't have to slow down when you see a cop car..

• User profile image
    jdewalt

"Holy crap.. If they'll prosecute a granny, maybe they'll come after me, too!".

They've prosecuted people under 18 and people over 50.

There is a case against a grandfather because his grandson downloaded 4 movies.  3 of which they already owned.

This has been a p.r. campaign by riaa and mpaa to show the risks of p2p downloading through these actions. They have had an effect, but not a big one.

My personal thought is that most of you are probably programmers or future programmers. If you want to get paid for your IP someday, you ought to pay for it yourself.  That includes games, software, music, and movies.

• User profile image
    Minh

Listen to this.

• User profile image
    rjdohnert

The site reads lijke theyy were forced to put it on there.

• User profile image
    rjdohnert

You wuill never stop it.  I dont care if you prosecute 1,000 people or a billion people.  People steal, PERIOD.  The RIAA and MPAA have tried everything from seeding bad files to prosecution.  They can try to shut down the networks but I doubt it will happen

Tensor wrote:

• User profile image
    Angus

jdewalt wrote:
    "If they'll prosecute a granny, maybe they'll come after me, too!".

It is interesting you bring older people into this, as in my region of the UK, Yorkshire, recently a woman who I believe was old was prosecuted for underpaying a train fare by 10p.

Sorry for going off topic a bit, but I found it idiotic that this wen through.

Angus Higgins

• User profile image
    MisterDonut

rjdohnert wrote:
    You wuill never stop it.  I dont care if you prosecute 1,000 people or a billion people.  People steal, PERIOD.  The RIAA and MPAA have tried everything from seeding bad files to prosecution.  They can try to shut down the networks but I doubt it will happen
    Tensor wrote:

I tried to mention this earlier.. Sure you won't stop it. The goal is to minimize it. And I think if you *very publically* prosecute 100 people a month you'll definately minimize it. IMagine the commercials: fade-ins of people of all ages / races, etc.. Arnie Smith : $7,000 fine.  Maggie Jones, $5,000 fine.. Grandma Brown: $2,000 fine..  Final fade in: All for downloading bootleg movies (or whatever)..

Run that ad a lot (using the money from the fines / settlements) and update it every month.. 

Betcha you'd see a lot less copying and much more activism to re-work copywrite laws.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.