Coffeehouse Thread

5 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Chemical weapons? (warning: ugly pic)

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    androidi

US forces 'used chemical weapons' during assault on city of Fallujah

a former American soldier who fought at Fallujah says: "I heard the order to pay attention because they were going to use white phosphorus on Fallujah. In military jargon it's known as Willy Pete.

• User profile image
    androidi

I think the weapon was most effective... at creating a lot of negative media attention. If they only needed to clear the area of civilians, there are those crowd control weapons that could have been used instead.

• User profile image
    Manip

You mean a chemical like explosives? OMG those bastards!... Tongue Out

On a serious note the US used white phosphorus in the Vietnam War and it is less deadly than say Napalm or their new fuel air bombs... I am not saying I support using it near civilians ever, but it isn't that big or of a surprising of a story. Plus WP isn't illegal or banned, gas is.

• User profile image
    Cairo

"Chemical weapons?" That's sensationalist. White phosphorus is a chemical weapon only in the sense that everything, even knives and kittens, are made of "chemicals".

White phosphorus is used in military applications as incendiary bombs, for smoke-screening as smoke pots and smoke bombs, and in tracer ammunition.

It's not like it's Sarin Gas or something.

My high school's chemistry lab stocked white phosphorus. I mean, come on.

• User profile image
    DoomBringer

Willy Pete rounds are hardly chemical warfare.  They're incendiary rounds.  I'm not supportive of the war in Iraq (WMDs are where now, Georgie porgy?), but I have to say that war is ugly, and pictures like that are expected.  I'd rather our troops have WP rounds than not, so long as they use proper discretion with them.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.