Coffeehouse Thread

38 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Windows AntiSpyware Becomes Windows Defender

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    gaelhatchue

    Check out this article by Paul Thurrott.

    Paul Thurrott wrote:

    .....
    According to a report in the "Seattle Post-Intelligencer," the Windows Defender name was already being used by an Australian developer, whose Windows Defender product is designed to protect Windows users from malicious Web sites. The developer, Adam Lyttle, told the Seattle P-I's Todd Bishop that Microsoft contacted him a month ago, charging him with infringing on the Windows trademark, but neglecting to mention that the threat came because they wanted the product name. Lyttle subsequently signed over rights to the Windows Defender name to Microsoft and was "shocked" when he later learned they intended to use the name in their own product.

  • User profile image
    Michael Griffiths

    "Defender" is a very weak trademark.

    The new name is "Windows Defender", which is also very weak trademark, but it's probably strong enough to battle prior software.

  • User profile image
    PaoloM

    Beer28 wrote:
    Regardless, I'm sending atari computers an email about this matter.
    It's not fair to threaten some individual guy in Australia making software for trademark violation, then to go ahead and violate atari's defender trademark that's been known by millions for 20 years.

    I'm offended as a gamer and as a small software developer. It's offensive.

    You have NO clue about trademark law, right?

    By the way, we want to see the email and the reply. Enough with puerile posturing.

  • User profile image
    j0217995

    Ed Bott I think, wrote something very interesting in his blog in regards to this.

  • User profile image
    jonathanh

    Beer28 wrote:
    I'm offended as a gamer and as a small software developer. It's offensive.
    Almost as offensive as you calling your software business "Lincrosoft" and expecting to get away with it.

  • User profile image
    Michael Griffiths

    Beer28 wrote:
    I registered that name with the govt and files a NUANS report fair and square, so if you don't like it, take it up in court.


    That's how IP law operates.

    It's offensive-only.

  • User profile image
    PaoloM

    Beer28 wrote:
    I registered that name with the govt and files a NUANS report fair and square, so if you don't like it, take it up in court.

    Yeah Jonathanh, you'll have to meet him in court eventually when he finally drags Microsoft and Dell for that imaginary class action of his...

  • User profile image
    rjdohnert

    jonathanh wrote:
    Beer28 wrote:I'm offended as a gamer and as a small software developer. It's offensive.
    Almost as offensive as you calling your software business "Lincrosoft" and expecting to get away with it.


    I can see it now, he will subpoena all of us niners to court to testify, that you "offended" him in the forums.  Seriously, I dont expect Beer to be in business long especially when he names his new Linux based distribution Windows something and takes you to court to finish the job Michael Robertson didnt.  Dont worry though, Beers a cockroach and cockroaches are annoying and they always get crushed.

  • User profile image
    rjdohnert

    Beer28 wrote:
    I'm offended as a gamer and as a small software developer. It's offensive.


    Beer, cut the crap. You dont care about anyone but yourself.  If any Open Source developer came out with a piece of software that had the name Defender in it you would be cheering them on.  You are nothing more than a stuck up child who is very sadly in need of a good a$$ kicking.  Quit trying to act like a "good" guy, you arent.  Did you bother to tell the rest of the niners the domains you registered?

  • User profile image
    Maurits

    jonathanh wrote:
    Beer28 wrote:I'm offended as a gamer and as a small software developer. It's offensive.
    Almost as offensive as you calling your software business "Lincrosoft" and expecting to get away with it.


    I don't understand.  If you're implying that Lincrosoft is likely to be mistaken for Linux or Microsoft, I must disagree with you.  What do you mean?

  • User profile image
    Maurits

    FWIW, ">http://ttuga.com/download/77/detail_8297.html"> here's a program called "Windows Defender" from almost a year ago

    EDIT: oh, it's the same one... never mind

  • User profile image
    jonathanh

    Maurits wrote:
    jonathanh wrote:
    Almost as offensive as you calling your software business "Lincrosoft" and expecting to get away with it.

    I don't understand.  If you're implying that Lincrosoft is likely to be mistaken for Linux or Microsoft, I must disagree with you.  What do you mean?
    In this case it's not what you think that counts, it's what lawyers think.

    Weren't you around for the previous thread where we found out that Beer's company was called Lincrosoft? He even had an explanation for what the "cro" stood for. I forwarded the issue to our legal department, and suddenly Lincrosoft changed to Beercosoft.

  • User profile image
    Maurits

    jonathanh wrote:
    Maurits wrote:
    jonathanh wrote:
    Almost as offensive as you calling your software business "Lincrosoft" and expecting to get away with it.

    I don't understand.  If you're implying that Lincrosoft is likely to be mistaken for Linux or Microsoft, I must disagree with you.  What do you mean?
    In this case it's not what you think that counts, it's what lawyers think.

    Weren't you around for the previous thread where we found out that Beer's company was called Lincrosoft? He even had an explanation for what the "cro" stood for. I forwarded the issue to our legal department, and suddenly Lincrosoft changed to Beercosoft.


    You did?

    Seriously?

    You, sir, are evil.

  • User profile image
    jamie

    Windows Defender:



    haha

     

  • User profile image
    jonathanh

    Maurits wrote:
    You did?

    Seriously?

    You, sir, are evil.
    Hey, it's in the archives - go look it up for yourself.

    I know enough about trademark law to know that if you don't defend a trademark, you lose it. And I knew that the "Lindows" issue had gone to court. And I'm a Microsoft employee. So if you expect me to learn about "Lincrosoft" and not say to our legal department "hey, you're the experts - do we have an issue here?", then you, sir, are delusional.

  • User profile image
    PetKnep

    Well, Atari game or no Atari game. There's also a popular rootkit called Hacker Defender. That is much more of a competing product than a video game with a single word title.

    P.S. I thought Beer quit when he got pwned by myspace and then you laughed at him?

  • User profile image
    PetKnep

    Nepotism? I don't get Canadian humor at all.

  • User profile image
    Minh

    jonathanh wrote:
    Maurits wrote:You did?

    Seriously?

    You, sir, are evil.
    Hey, it's in the archives - go look it up for yourself.

    I know enough about trademark law to know that if you don't defend a trademark, you lose it. And I knew that the "Lindows" issue had gone to court. And I'm a Microsoft employee. So if you expect me to learn about "Lincrosoft" and not say to our legal department "hey, you're the experts - do we have an issue here?", then you, sir, are delusional.

    Jonathan,

    You do know who "won" the "Lindows" case, right?

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.