Coffeehouse Thread

13 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Happy Happy About VS 2005 Express

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Dr. Shim

I just came here to say that I'm absolutly happylicious about VS 2005 Express being offered for free, and the $59 price (for people who miss out on the free offer) is exeptional. This is great for developers who don't need any more than a great debugger and great code-completion features.

I really, really hope Microsoft does this with VS Orcas once it's released. I'll be even more happylicious!

Give us devs plenty of love! Smiley

• User profile image
    bahlsonal

I couldn't agree more- it's an awesome tool and to make it freely accessible, makes it well worth the wait.

Thanks for sharin your joy. I'm a new niner- but i know enough to say that VS05 is definetely a phenomenal milestone in the business & developer world. Big Smile

• User profile image
    eddwo

Yes, Thanks Microsoft. I had been planning to buy C# Express at up to £50, but now I can not only get that for free but also try my hand at C++ Express and Visual Web Developer as well. Can't wait for updated WinFX, Atlas and LINQ CTPs to go with the new tools.

• User profile image
    harumscarum

Joy Joy. I agree and am currently installing....

• User profile image
    Dr. Shim

eddwo wrote:
    Can't wait for updated WinFX, Atlas and LINQ CTPs to go with the new tools.

OT: I've been out of the 'niner loop' for a while now. What are those?

• User profile image
    Tensor

WinFX = avalon.
    ATLAS = AJAX-like things for ASP.NET.
    LINQ = Language Integrated Queries. You should find a vid on this if you are a c# / vb developer. Its sweet.

• User profile image
    Dr. Shim

Tensor wrote:
    WinFX = avalon.
    ATLAS = AJAX-like things for ASP.NET.
    LINQ = Language Integrated Queries. You should find a vid on this if you are a c# / vb developer. Its sweet.

Ah, thanks! I new wat WinFX was though; I should've been more specific. [Edited. I just remembered what the CTPs are. I'm a dork, excuse me whilst I go drool on myself.]

(Maybe I should just go hunt around for videos! Smiley)

• User profile image
    chowen

g'day, i've been using C# Express for over 3 hours now, and it seems that theres a major bug!! for some reason, I can't open my pre-existing solutions / projects inside the IDE, it simply comes up with an error msg. I've tried opening other 3rd party solutions, but it still can't load!!
    Also before i installed express, i had the WinFX Runtime Components installed and the WinFX SDK. To install C# express, you need to remove WinFX becuase it depends on .net framework beta 2. When i tried installing WinFX it didn't work!
    Has this just happen on my computer, or has this happen on your's aswell?

• User profile image
    yyy

Just wanted to say a big thanks to MS for giving it away for free Cool That's really kind of you Smiley

• User profile image
    eddwo

Yes, there isn't yet a version of WinFX that runs on the RTM version of .Net 2.0.
    They are expecting to release it at around the same time as Vista Beta2. Sometime next month I expect.

• User profile image
    Dr. Shim

Coolzor.

• User profile image
    Born2Run

I am very, very happy about the price, but not the performance.

I had Beta 1 of Visual Web Developer Express, and it was a bit buggy, and I do not see many improvements in the final release.

The HTML intellisense is just not working, it is so slow. Copy website cannot contact my FTP site (I cann connect using my FTP client) and many more things come up.

Another thing is the Starter Kits. I tried to download the Time Tracker yesterday, and it did not work. I visited the TimeTracker forum, and many pepople were experiencing the same thing. I could not even try it out on the asp.net website.

Seems to me like they were too busy launch-partying to get these things up and running Big Smile

• User profile image
    Steve411

I got the pro running and developed my first site on it with an rss feed and all. http://events.elwoh.com

I know, VS rocks.
    - Steve

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.