Coffeehouse Thread

8 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

PDC: The Goods Installation - Disk 5

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    rclawson

Has anyone else run in to problems installing this disk?  I've mounted the ISO image on the DVD as a drive and can run the installation.  I've also got a nice clean hard drive formatted as a Primary partition to install it to.  My machine is already running Windows XP (installed on C:\) and I want to install Vista on E:\.  I go through the wizard and everything seems to be going ok, I can choose my new drive as the destination for the installation, and then the wizard starts installing files and churns for a while, and then finally will reboot.  Upon reboot, the boot loader tries to load the new OS, but blue screens shortly after the Longhorn screen.  When I look at my drives, I have no files on my E:\ drive, but several folders and files have been created on my C:\ drive.  The folders are named, "$WINDOWS.~BT" and "$WINDOWS.~LS".  I'm not sure if this is normal and these are just temporary files or if the reason this is failing is because the files are getting put in the wrong place.  Sad

Anyone out there with a little more experiance than me?  I would really like to try this, and it seems that running under Virtual PC 2004 is not an option.

Thanks.
    Cool

• User profile image
    Harlequin

You can't mount an ISO to do an operating system, you have to burn a DVD. When the OS boots to continue the install it won't be able to find that mounted drive, thus it will die.

• User profile image
    PerfectPhase

I think he means he mounted it in Virtual PC and then installed into VPC, no burning required.

Stephen

• User profile image
    Harlequin

Ahh....missed that part Smiley

But no, I don't think you can install Vista into Virtual PC yet. Think there is a patch coming that will enable that ability.

• User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

rclawson wrote:

Anyone out there with a little more experiance than me?  I would really like to try this, and it seems that running under Virtual PC 2004 is not an option.

Try VMWare...works perfect... If you need VMWare 5.5 is Beta 2 (Or RC2 I can't remember) so they give you a trial key for it...long enough to try and delete.

• User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

Harlequin wrote:
    You can't mount an ISO to do an operating system, you have to burn a DVD. When the OS boots to continue the install it won't be able to find that mounted drive, thus it will die.

Actually I have used Daemon Tools to mount the DVD .iso of Vista from our development server and after the reboot it continues the installation straight from the Hard Drive...even if you choose to format the drive.

It's funny because you know it's a big loop. Installing from copied files from a mounted ISO from a CD you've formatted and installing overtop.

• User profile image
    rclawson

Cybermagellan wrote:

Actually I have used Daemon Tools to mount the DVD .iso of Vista from our development server and after the reboot it continues the installation straight from the Hard Drive...even if you choose to format the drive.

I also am using the Daemon Tools to mount the ISO image.  Didn't really stop to think that it might be a problem, but that was what was recommended on "The Goods" page.

I am not using Virtual PC, because of the known issues, and the lack of the updated Additions.

When you installed this using the Daemon Tools, did you install this to a C:\ drive, or some other drive letter?

• User profile image
    rclawson

Cybermagellan wrote:

Try VMWare...works perfect... If you need VMWare 5.5 is Beta 2 (Or RC2 I can't remember) so they give you a trial key for it...long enough to try and delete.

It seems kind of pathetic that VMWare works fine with Microsoft's new OS and Microsoft's own Virtual PC doesn't.  I used to use VMWare, but I got Virtual PC for being a Microsoft partner and I didn't keep getting the updates.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.