Coffeehouse Thread

19 posts

Microsoft buys Lookout Software... then kills off Lookout

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Mike Dimmick

http://www.lookoutsoft.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=194

http://www.lookoutsoft.com/Lookout/lookout-msft.html

Q: Why can't I download Lookout anymore?

We will be focusing our efforts on integrating our expertise and working on next-generation technologies. We are going to hold off on growing our user base until our next generation services are available. All current users of Lookout can continue to use Lookout and will be supported via the existing support process on Lookout for a year or until a new technology is available.

--

Uh, this strikes me as a bit counterproductive: you buy a company for its technology and staff, but then stop selling the technology? And you place the technology, designed for searching Microsoft Outlook data, under the MSN division?

• User profile image
    sbc

They did that with GeCad as well. That company sold a Linux antivirus product and once taken over they stopped selling it. I'm sure it happens with other companies they have bought - products that work on competing platforms are no longer developed.

• User profile image
    mhawley

They plan to integrate Lookout's technology into MSN Search. I just hope that they also extend it into Outlook search, but who knows. I too hate that they took the download off...stupid if you ask me.

• User profile image
    Shining Arcanine

Microsoft can't develop two products at the same time when both products require the same development resources. What did you expect them to do?

• User profile image
    Blkbam

So they bought a company and stopped selling their products.  It's their's now and they can do with it what they want.  If you have LookOut already then count yourself luck and enjoy the product.  You'll reap the benefits of the merge in some other way in one of their products.

• User profile image
    Karim

Happens all the time.

Oddpost (email provider) was just bought by Yahoo!  The second the ink was dry on the signatures sealing the deal, Oddpost stopped accepting new accounts.

http://www.oddpost.com/learnmore

Something similar happened when Microsoft bought Visio.

Similarly, www.picasa.com now redirects you to www.picasa.com/google ever since Google bought it Smiley

MS probably recognized they were going to need some kind of improved search capability in Outlook (à la X1) before Longhorn Smiley

Not sure why it would be under MSN, except to say that an MS employee was recently arrested for allegedly stealing search engine source code from his former employer, AltaVista. Smiley  Maybe they need to re-write some stuff.  tee hee hee

• User profile image
    sbc

Shining Arcanine wrote:
    Microsoft can't develop two products at the same time when both products require the same development resources. What did you expect them to do?

I never would expect them to develop for competing platforms - but takeovers are not good for all customers, and may even result in job losses.

I haven't even used Lookout, so I don't know what it is like. Hopefully it is a good investment (as at the moment Google is search king).

• User profile image
    lars

Karim wrote:

Something similar happened when Microsoft bought Visio.

I'm amazed how Microsoft managed to bloat Visio. The first Microsoft version was painfully slow compared to the last Visio.

Karim wrote:

Not sure why it would be under MSN, except to say that an MS employee was recently arrested for allegedly stealing search engine source code from his former employer, AltaVista. Smiley  Maybe they need to re-write some stuff.  tee hee hee

Earlier threads about this:

Suspect in AltaVista hacking case works at Microsoft
    Microsoft New Search Engine Preview - Your Opinions

• User profile image
    bishfish

Ok, so I am reading this thread not 5 minutes ago, and up pops the new MS Update system and offers to update MS Lookout to version 1.2, so I did and it works!?

• User profile image
    Shining Arcanine

Exactly what is Lookout?

• User profile image
    phunky_avoc​ado

I thought it is what a user does when he uses Outlook.

Shining Arcanine wrote:
    Exactly what is Lookout?

• User profile image
    mbelshe

Hehehe - I'm so flattered - that auto-update mechanism is one that I wrote for Lookout.  Its not MS Update at all... But its cool that you thought it was Smiley

• User profile image
    jonathanh

There's now a direct link to download LookOut 1.2 from Microsoft.

And that is possibly the first Microsoft product description I've seen that includes the word "soul"... Smiley

• User profile image
    Karim

That was nice of Microsoft!!!  Just goes to show you that Google isn't the only company that can buy a cool app and then give it away for free.  LOL

FYI, Lookout download is also available in the MSN Sandbox:

http://sandbox.msn.com/

And also available on lookoutsoft.com:

http://www.lookoutsoft.com/Lookout/download.html

Three cheers for free software Smiley  Huzzah!  Huzzah!  Huzzah!

• User profile image
    manickernel

Thanks Karim,

I didn't even know that site existed.

P.S.- Are you on Mount Everest in the picture??

• User profile image
    Karim

You're welcome.  I assume you are referring to the MSN Sandbox?  Personally I am looking forward to the MSN Litterbox (litterbox.msn.com) where one may play with excreted discarded technologies (e.g. Microsoft Bob, Microsoft Agent, Comic Chat, etc.)

I can't remember what I was on when the picture was taken, but, based on the grin, I think it was crystal meth and chewable vitamin C.  What kind of drug is "Mount Everest?"  And does it get you as high as its namesake?

Were you in "the Matrix" in your picture?  (Vance a.k.a. "the White Morpheus")

• User profile image
    SiR_CharLZ

Karim wrote:

I can't remember what I was on when the picture was taken, but, based on the grin, I think it was crystal meth and chewable vitamin C.  What kind of drug is "Mount Everest?"  And does it get you as high as its namesake?

Were you in "the Matrix" in your picture?  (Vance a.k.a. "the White Morpheus")

Now THAT is some funny sh*t. lol

• User profile image
    lars

*LOL*

I'm not telling what I was on when my picture was taken. Wink

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.